A camping horror story

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by emmy, Jul 8, 2013.

1. emmy

emmy New Member

Literally. We took the pop up camping with some friends and their families, and long story short, my husband and the guys found a dead body in the ocean. So very sad. And certainly not on our bucket list. Umm, here's to never doing that again!

2. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

So very sad, indeed.

3. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

Yes it is sad, but tells me don't camp near the ocean.

4. santafe8

santafe8 New Member

Sad, But you did bring closure to the family of the deceased.

5. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Yep. All dead bodies come from the ocean. I think nobody should camp near it, especially in California.

6. emmy

emmy New Member

That was our one good thought about it, that at least we brought closure to the family (the guy's dad was quoted in an article about the drowning as saying "I hope and pray we at least find his body"), so that's something.

And it was otherwise a beautiful spot (Montana de Oro, near Morro Bay). Just, uh, check the news before you go.

7. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Oh no, how sad! :(

Was the Trip good other than that unfortunate incident? We are actually headed there soon.

8. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I no more read this than I was checking the news online and saw this article: http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130707/NEWS01/707079869

Wenberg Park is also a county campground on Lake Goodwin and we've been there a few times for our "spring Pop-up check". I hope this young man survives. Good for the 15 year old passerby that performed CPR.

9. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Well, it will be a trip that you will always remember. Last year, while we were camping we went out on a launch (chartered fishing trip with a group of people) on Lake Mille Lacs. DH caught a large walleye, I was taking his picture, the crew was taking it off his hook and everyone on board was admiring his fish when all of a sudden, someone yells, "Man overboard". So my first thought is, I'm a nurse, I'm supposed to respond, but I am so deadly afraid of the water. DH was a life guard, and has saved others lives in the Atlantic Ocean, but he's got mobility issues now. Well, one of the crew jumped off, and saved him. They brought him up with a hook, and he didn't appear to be breathing when they brought him up. He did make it, and yes, I did attend to him after they got him back on the boat.

10. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

11. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Sorry you had to add that type of memory to a trip, as a teen fishing we found a guy in the Mohawk river that had jumped from a bridge a few days before. But as said, the find does help bring closure for the family....

12. ridenred333

ridenred333 New Member

WOW beside that how was the rest of the trip, did you find that body at the beginning or end of the trip. It might not have been so bad if it was at the end of the trip.

13. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

WOW!!!! I thought my trip with 93 degree temps and no a/c was bad.Sorry to hear that.

14. Wedacampers

Wedacampers New Member

That is very sad to here. Three years ago when we were camping at Hunting Island in SC on our last day there we saw a number of helicopters going up and down the beach. As we were heading home we heard the news that a young boy had been drawn out to the ocean near the break and drown. It was sad just hearing about it and being there, I can't imagine finding the body. It makes you hug your dear ones a little tighter though.

I hope you have a better camping trip next time.

15. bduck40

bduck40 Member

Wow......Would never thought that would happen on a camping trip

16. CommaHolly

CommaHolly New Member

How awful :(

17. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Wow, Emmy. I live near there. When I heard his body was found, I immediately felt relief for his family and sadness for whoever found him. So sorry your family went through this sobering experience.

18. hometownhiker

hometownhiker Active Member

Your story reminds me of a trip that we had. While camping at Cades Cove in the Smokies with the grand kids last summer, my wife took the kids to a creek to play in the water while I went to hike to the top of Gregory Bald. Near where they were playing on the creek, a man who could not swim was tubing with a toddler and turned over in the current. The toddler was saved, the man drowned.
    My wife managed to shield the younger kids from the situation, but it was a sad and tragic reminder of how quick things can turn bad. Be safe out there, folks!

19. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Most dead bodies are discovered by hunters and fishermen. I thought I found one a few years back, but it was a wacky geocache. Horrible to find one at the beach.

20. emmy

emmy New Member

We found him at the beginning of the trip, so that was a bit sobering. Odd coincidence CAPoppy!

And to whoever asked, the area is beautiful. The campground itself has only water and pit toilets, and is a bit worn, but also quite nice. Many sites are without shade, but it isn't that hot temperature-wise. I imagine it can get quite foggy, though it wasn't when we were there.