A cribbage board and a deck of cards. What else do you need?

Discussion in 'Games' started by KJcachers, Dec 14, 2010.

1. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

[LOL] I grew up in Minnesota where my parents were avid cribbage players and anybody that dropped by the house almost always automaticallly played a few games over coffee while chatting/visiting. Well now that the Pup is in the garage it is time to get my wife to offically take up the game! She has balked at it in the past but from now on I will not take no for an answer! I can't think of a better way to wait out a summer shower in the pup and still keep your clothes on! [LOL]

BTW, when my Father passed years ago my Mom gave me his favorite cribbage board...nice keepsake in my eyes.

2. Leyster

Leyster Revelstoke, B.C.

Wow lucky you for having such a fine keepsake. My mom has had the same crib board for at least 30 years maybe more. On the Saskatchewan prairies where I grew up cards always came out when visiters came or we went visiting. My family is so into cards my mom and her great grand daughter had a crib tournament going at my mom's granddaughters wedding reception, had quite a few lined up at the table to play and my neice(the one getting married) put their wedding announcement on a deck of playing cards for each of the guests. Yep big card family here. Your wife will get addicted to crib, and she will enjoy it.
    Have fun playing. And there is always strip crib for those rainy days in the pup. Oops telling my own secrets now...

3. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

Way back when on those long, boring transits riding submarines, I learned to play backgammon. Have had a very nice board that folds as a case with handle for all those years, but never used it. This past summer took my teenage DS camping through the Sierras and taught him the game. He loved it and it turned out to be a great way to pass the evening hours.

4. robsheila

robsheila New Member

Skip-Bo is our regular for waiting out the rain. Dominoes comes in second. Though our vacation in '09 gave us a bit of rain 11 of 13 nights. Although we were dry, the humidity was so high that the deck of cards had swollen and was hard to shuffle or deal. And the sound of rain on the pup lost its luster.

5. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Love me some cribbage! We taught the DD while camping last summer. Our other favorite is Dutch Blitz!

6. StarCamper

StarCamper Member

Cribbage is fun - and Farkel. We also like Rummikub and have spent many a night introducing our camping neighbors to it too. Now with so many campgrounds not allowing camp fires, we don't wait for rain to play it at night. The kids love it too and it's a fun way for them to learn math without realizing it.

7. Buddy Ter

Buddy Ter New Member

One of the first things to go into Mr. Towed was a cribbage board my dad made. It's shaped like a duck and you store the pegs under its back.
    When my son was about 7 I taught him to play. Within about a week he'd dealt himself a 24 hand and skunked me. [:D]

8. Grizzlytaco

Grizzlytaco New Member

My mom taught my brother and I how to play cribbage when we were 7. I'm from Wisconsin and we played at the bars, at home or where ever we could get a game. I use to play in touraments at the bars all the time. Now i live in Vegas and most people dont know what cribbage is, which sucks trying to find people to play with. My wife and kids bought me a New Droid phone for my birthday and the first thing i did was to install a Free cribbage game which i play everyday, i just love the game. I enjoy playing when we go camping if we're just sitting around camp..... Ed C [:D]

9. traindude

traindude ORYGUN

The only time I get to play the came any more is camping Inherited my stepdads 29 board and that comes out every camping trip. Got the daughter to and now the oldest niece. One day they will get the board and past this great on to the next generation

10. Albert and Melanie

Albert and Melanie The "pup" Palace

*off to google cribbage, never heard of it*

11. henrywil22

henrywil22 New Member

While I have heard of cribbage, I have never played it. In Michigan Euchure is the big card game.

12. Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme N. Fond du Lac, Wis.

Sounds a lot like me! [:D] Still play in tourneys...got one coming up in a few weeks [;)]

13. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

I've never played Cribbage, but Mrs Mosbyranger insists on force feeding me a big nasty dose of humble pie every camping trip as she destroys me at Scrabble. And she never lets me forget. Ever.
    MR

14. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Cribbage and gin rummy best 2 person card games. There is a 2-player euchre version, but not that great. Also canasta and double canfield.

15. Nephidoc

Nephidoc New Member

Used to play tons while in the Middle East during Desert Storm/Desert Shield.
    No one else I know plays.

Long nights in Turkey drinking chai, smoking Nargila and playing cribbage....
    I swear between the anxiety of the game, the caffeine and the nicotine I should have had a heart attack.

Stan

16. aeisbren

aeisbren New Member

My DS and I play a lot of "Crib" when it's raining, it's a family thing. My parents taught me to play crib when I was 8 or 9 (Too long ago to remember) and often after dinner we would play instead of watching TV. It's amazing how many people today have to have an electronic device with them every waking moment or they feel lost. We need more Crib boards, or Backgammon, Othello, etc tournements in schools just to teach our kids other ways of socializing. of course as I come down off my apple box I'm online saying all this so I guess I should take my own advice as well.

ACE

17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

My roommate & I played cribbage a lot in college, but it has been years since I have played it. DH & I took a couple of card games with us for a long time, but windy conditions got us out of the habit, maybe we should take them again with the pup.

18. cesperon

cesperon New Member

I LOVE cribbage, but haven't been able to get Dh and the kids to master it. We do play a lot of Rummy, Scrabble, Farkle, Uno and Skipbo. We also recently taught the kids 5 card stud & they love it. We always just played with pretzels, M&Ms etc but lucky us- our ntu pup came with a pack of poker chips.

Dominos was always the staple when I was a kid, but I can't get them into that either

19. Ken1967

Ken1967 Can't wait to Camp!

We love cribbage as well. Skip-bo arrived under the Christmas tree... so I am sure it will surface on rainy days this summer in our new Palomino M-6147!

20. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

(Fifteen two, fifteen four, and ect, ect, ect ...)

O.K. if there's only two of ya ~ but give me a three handed (or four handed partners), knock down, drag out game of euchre to get the vital juices flowing!