A different kind of pop up

Discussion in 'Vintage & Off The Wall Campers' started by Pop up Pooley, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Pop up Pooley

Pop up Pooley New Member

2. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

We saw one of these at the local farmer's market and it's pretty cool!!!! It would be nice for a couple or a single person, but if you have kids it would be a very tight fit. The one we saw was being pulled by a Suburu Outback so it was obviously lightweight. Quality inside and out looked really nice. But it's a lot of $$$$! Something like $15k for the base model. [:O]

3. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Apparently I was beaten to the punch! I came to post this exact camper! [LOL] Is it a pup? TT? Heck who knows but what I do know is its friggin' cool!!!

4. altozwei

altozwei New Member

I think you could safely consider it a hybrid. Definitely a cool design but too crazy expensive for me to ever consider one.

5. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

6. efehser

efehser New Member

The guy who builds these is a NASA engineer. Explains the spacecraft look and the crazy price. They were featured on the Travel Channel.

7. 68Starcraft

68Starcraft I think I'M funny.. hell I make me laugh all the t

ya there also being run on the "How It's Made" show... and the price is wayyy to high for any of my taste..lol

8. Fundy

Fundy New Member

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I saw two Altos in Yellowstone two years ago. Both TVs had Quebec plates. Very cool! I wanted to talk with the owners but we were on our way out for the morning and when we returned they were pulling out.

10. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

11. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I like that Alto. That looks neat.

12. IPAman

IPAman New Member

If we didn't need to sleep 5 larger humans(3 adults and 2 teens) I'd be all over a Cricket. But my background is in backpacking where minimalism is the key as you are the pack mule. I need to go check out the Cricket in person as I live ~10 minutes from their shop. Looking at their Facebook, I see their present project is a truck bed camper/base station for two; the Firefly. I wonder how many requests for something a little larger than the Cricket they get?

As for the cost, the Cricket's aluminum construction is like an Airstream in that if you take care of the standard maintenance it should last for decades. Plus no need for a powerful TV, and the related fuel costs, should be added to the cost equation.

I really like to the Alto concept too for the retirement years when it is just DW and I.

13. byronisfinn

byronisfinn New Member

Can anyone help me with identifying this pop-up, or maybe I should say, pop-out?

[​IMG]

Thanks!
    Byronisfinn

14. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

15. byronisfinn

byronisfinn New Member

Thank you Hawkester! My wife has not been a fan of my PUP's. She had some "not so fun" experiences camping, when she was younger. I've been looking for alternatives, to encourage her to join me on trips. I appreciate your help!