A few ideas. What do you think?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by disneysandi, Nov 22, 2011.

1. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

I was thinking about some ways to pretty up my camper. Here are some ideas..

For curtains, I was thinking about getting the lined curtains in a tan color and then stenciling a border just along the bottom. It would have a brown bear, green pine tree, burgundy tent, and navy hidden mickey. Not sure about a valance though. Maybe just try to hunt up some fabric that would coordinate or would no valance at all work ok? Also, should the privacy curtains be the same? I was thinking make them a contrast color like brown or green. I do not like the roll up shades in my Jayco and really want sliding curtains. I also don't like that the privacy shades for the bunks are solid with no mesh at the top so you can't sleep with them down. I will be adding mesh to the top of the new ones. I am also debating whether to buy new curtain tabs or cut the old ones from the curtains and sew them on to the new ones. Plus side of buying new ones would be that I can put the old curtains back in if I sell it.

For cushions, I was thinking about buying the sofa covers that you can buy at Walmart. I was thinking brown so they don't show the dirt. I can buy the large sofa cover and cut it and sew either elastic or velcro to hold them on. Leave the old fabric on as it is fine. I can take them off to wash them easily. I was thinking the microsuede would work. Is that a bad idea?

Cabinets, I am thinking about painting them cream or brown. I have seen white and black and didn't like it. I saw someone do cream on here somewhere and it was nice. My floors are light hardwood. Not sure about the hardware. Polish it? Paint it? Buy new?

I am going to have my bf cut me a piece of wood to use on the small dinette bed so that I can always use that table outside and leave my son's bed made. I am also going to have him make a little outside counter for my stove. Is there somewhere that I could just buy one? Where could I find one that maybe was in an old Jayco that someone took out?

I bought some hanging hooks and a hanging bag to organize stuff to hang on the lip along the top edges but I found out that the "lip" on this one is UNDER the curtains, so that is out. Not sure what to do.

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Sandi, sounds ambitious. I made an outside counter which attaches to the side of my pup just large enough to hold a 2 burner stove & coffee maker. I'm adding a hanger for a trash container. The counter was simple to make & cost less than $10. If you're going to make an outside kitchen area, I would suggest thinking about attachment & breakdown. You don't want to add a lot of setup takedown time. Good luck. Steve

3. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I think your ideas are all good ones. We have a microsuede sofa, love seat, and recliner, and we love them. They're 4 years old and look as new as the day we had them delivered (they're a dark brown, and yes it does hide the dirt!) I didn't know how I'd like the fabric, but after living with it for a while, I can safely say that I'm sold on it. We have a little Bissel "soak and suck" carpet cleaner that has an upholstery wand on it, and I've used it to clean a few "oopsies" on the sofa. When the fabric dries, it looks good as new - literally. In short (yeah, I know - too late,) I really like the microsuede fabric and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Your curtain ideas sound great. I think they'd work with or without a valance, but keep in mind that in a pup the valances are usually used to hide hardware, canvas tracks, etc... Just a "style" thing, and just my opinion, but I like when the cushions and curtains are in the same color family. You mention tan curtains - just my opinion, but I think all of the curtains (window and privacy) should be the same color. You could then make the cushion covers anything from tan to brown and they would coordinate. Let the green, navy, and burgundy be your accent colors to break up all of those earth tones.

Going back to my old cabinetmaker days, generally speaking cabinets usually look better if they're lighter than the floor color (there are always exceptions, but that's usually the design rule.) With tan curtains and brown upholstery, I think your idea for the cream colored cabinets would look fantastic. As for the cabinet hardware, it depends on whether you want the hardware to stand out or blend in. If you want it to blend in, paint it to match your cabinets. If you want it to stand out, look to see what the predominant bare metal is in your pup (5 will get you 10 it's aluminum) and match that. Shiny brass or antique bronze hardware kind of looks clunky when it's surrounded by a lot of "silver" metal. I don't know that I'd go with shiny polished chrome, but something that goes with the brushed aluminum in the rest of the pup would look great - maybe brushed nickel or similar. Of course ceramic, glass, or wood handles and knobs always look good.

Personally, I'd just play with a few ideas and see where your imagination goes. What you're talking about is pretty subjective, so the basic rule to remember is that if you like it, that's all that counts.

4. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Steve, that is exactly what I am thinking about doing. Do you have pics of your project? Even just an after picture and Henry could copy it. The next kitchen remodel he does, I am going to ask him to save the sink cutout for me. He is saving me the faucet from a bath remodel so that I can replace the faucet in my pup.

Dusty, thanks. You have given me confidence to go ahead with it. My sofa at home is microsuede, so I know of it's virtues. LOL

As for the hardware on the cabinets, it is not knobs or pulls. They are all the same and all have catches.
    [​IMG]

Not sure what to do with them. Maybe I will just leave them.

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

As you say, the easiest of all would be to just leave the hardware as is and see how you like it after the cabinets are painted. You can always change the color later if you want to. It's 100% up to you, and the only one you have to please is yourself. Heck, if you want to paint each piece a different color, go for it. When it comes to color, everything is 100% up to you.

6. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

Oooh, the OCD side of me likes the painting each one a different color angle. When the kids ask where something is, I can just say the color. LOL May work better than when I put labels on every cabinet and shelf in the kitchen. [LOL]

7. Hanne

Hanne New Member

You have some good ideas so far!
    I can't wait until we get past our reconstruction so I can dig into the best part- decor!
    One thing that is helping me is to collect an idea folder on my computer of fabrics, paint, flooring, hardware, etc. Then I'm sort of scrapbooking the pics onto one "inspiration" page to see how they work together. I've tried out 3 different decor styles so far, so when the time comes I'll know exactly what I want. I also calculated all the yardage and material quantities I'll need, so if I do find cool fabric on Ebay or wherever, I'll know exactly how much I need.
    If you're good with photo editing you can even take a picture of the inside of your pup and change the cabinet color or flooring to see how your choices might look together. After doing this, I won't be painting my cabinets cream (which was my original choice) because I'm loving how they look in a very dark navy.

8. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

I wish I could photo edit. That is a great idea. I am sure my kiddos can do it though.

9. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

DSan--- that made me kind of laugh out loud. you're funny.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Your ideas sound great! I especially love the addition of a hidden Mickey to your curtains. [:D]

As far as curtains go, I would make them all the same. I did the contrasting color on privacy curtains and it looks terrible! I will be making matching ones after Christmas when I get some time.

You cabinet latches are kind of hard since you can't just replace them as easily as normal hardware. You still may find some choices you like, though. At the very least, I would paint them with a metal paint in a color you like. They make all sorts of nice finishes now.

Keep us in pics so we can live vicariously through you! There is not much I enjoy more than interior decorating, especially in campers.

11. disneysandi

disneysandi New Member

I probably won't start until after the new year. But when I start, there will definitely be pictures and probably questions as well. LOL

12. Hanne

Hanne New Member

If you're like me, my sewing machine and craft room is buried under wrapping paper and bags of presents waiting to be wrapped. Like Santa's workshop exploded! The sewing will definitely wait until after Christmas!
    If you are still thinking of microsuede, Walmart has sueded curtain panels that I have in mind for my dinette cushions. It comes out cheaper than a slipcover, that is if you do not have a huge dinette. Also Brylanehome.com has good prices on microsuede curtains in their clearance section in a decent selection of colors. I was looking at the pocket rod style because you get a little more useable fabric than you do with the grommet ones that are so popular.

Orchid, I was going to contrast my privacy curtains, too. Why do you think that idea doesn't look good? Actually I wanted to use a white (somewhat sheer) printed shower curtain for the main windows, than layer a darker curtain over it that could be pulled closed in the evening for privacy.
    And is there any reason one has to use the camper curtain hardware track? Can't you use regular household curtain hardware or something like this curtain wire? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20079342/

13. LISA1969

LISA1969 New Member

nice ideas sandi. cant wait til u post pics when done.

14. papachaz

papachaz New Member

ok, gonna ask a dumb guy type question. what's a hidden mickey? and if it's so great, why you hiding it??? hehehe

15. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

16. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I want bunk end curtains. I see the mesh idea and want it. The mesh laundry bags seem weak. Anyone use shelf liner? It's mesh, washable and comes in colors.12x60 x 2 per bunk end? just asking? Got 50 curtain tabs for $7.50 and the shelf liners are $1.00 ea, thought I could sew tabs to a binding and onto liners? I'm gonna try [8D]

17. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

You should be able to find that mesh at a fabric store or sewing center, and you'll definitely get enough to make the curtains for both bunk ends out of 1 1/2 yards of mesh. Just me talking here, but I've found that when sewing that type of mesh, a surger is the best machine to use. A surger completely binds and trims the seam at the same time, which is really a nice thing with mesh or netting.

18. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

bummer is, I live on an Island and the traffic makes me want to stay on Island until Easter, I am looking for sheets(that match) and I think I can sew the tabs onto a backing with 12" of mesh (will try shelf liner) and sheets as curtains.? I am looking in all my Neighbors linen closets. I can get to a fabric shop after Easter. determined, will let you know Dusty. All the pics=help.Thanks

19. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Walmart black out curtains 54X54, shelf liner 12X60, cut to 54, cut 12" off curtains, sew on shelf liner at top add tabs and tie backs=bunk end privacy curtains $ priceless, less then $50/ALL. [8D]

20. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Can somebody post a link of this shelf liner y'all are talking about? I may be missing out on something...