A frame that is as big as a large popup?

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Billy29, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Billy29

Billy29 Member

Is there such a thing? The concept of the A frame looks interesting but those floor plans look really tight inside.

2. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

You'll never find an A-frame that is as big as a large pop-up because of not having beds that extend out both ends of the camper. Period. End of discussion. That is the trade off you make in order to achieve a less than one minute setup, hard walls, ability to camp in bear country where canvas sided campers aren't allowed, and a unit that is much easier to heat and cool than a canvas camper. To me, it offers up the ability to make an overnight stop requiring a couple minutes to setup for the night and continue your journey the next morning, something that was a real hassle in all the years camping in my pop up. That gives me the opportunity to travel to farther away destinations, opening up opportunities I didn't feel I had with the pop up while still retaining the easy towing and better gas mileage of a fold away camper vs a travel trailer.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

The Aliner Expedition or the Flagstaff T21DMHW a-frame is as close as you will get to the size of a soft sided popup.

Tom and Teresa likes this.
  4. Lost in Space

Our Aliner Expedition has both front and rear soft dormers. We insisted on those because of all the light and breeze, and room, they add to the A-frame, giving us so much of what we loved the most with our pop-ups. Would not have bought an A-frame without the dormers. We looked at some with hard dormers, and for us, the small windows and less light and breeze was a no-go.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When I was looking for my new to me camper I saw an aliner advertised for fairly cheap. Turned out they completely gutted the unit except for a couch, they wanted the space inside they couldn't find in any other unit. They used a couple plastic drawer systems for storage etc. Cooking etc was all done outside, they used coolers vrs fridge. Amazing how open the camper was without everything in it.
    They Had a fantastic fan no AC. They didn't really give me a reason for selling it. Which gave me that "I better not buy it vibe". I personally wasn't sure how the walls would stand up over time without cabinets.

6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

A frame trailers are a niche product designed for single adults or adult couples, particularly those who travel a lot and are looking for convenient, quick set up. A conventional popup with pull out beds and lots of tenting are targeted primarily at families who need to accommodate kids, extended family members, friends, etc. Each serves their primary design goal and shouldn't be compared one to the other.

7. Lost in Space

Pretty much nailed it right there...

StlAnnie and Tom and Teresa like this.
  8. Billy29

Billy29 Member

Thanks everyone

9. Econ

Econ Active Member

A frames are aimed at people like me. How do you treat a motel room? A motel room is a place to sleep and shower. I don't hang out in a motel room. If I drive 400 miles I'm not watching TV. The outdoors is the place to be. It has a comfortable bed, a place to read at night in the winter, storage, a place for emergency cooking, a place for a spit bath, a refrig, and a place for grandkids. What more do you need?

Tom and Teresa and Rik Peery like this.
  10. jeicher

jeicher Member

A couple of years ago at a state park I encountered a family of five camping in a 1993 Alite. The three children were small and the interior was setup for only sleeping. All the gear, etc. was kept inside their van which was the tow vehicle or in outside canisters. They were having a great time and stated they loved the "close quarters".
    Different strokes for different folks.
    [​IMG]

Lost in Space and Rik Peery like this.
  11. Econ

Econ Active Member

And it deploys in 30 seconds (only after spending 20 minutes leveling it, cranking the stabs, unchaining, etc <GGGGG> )

12. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

13. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

Something looks strange about that A-frame...it doesn’t look all there. Am I missing something?

14. Tom and Teresa

Tom and Teresa Member

After looking at all kinds of campers at an RV show in Richmond, we knew we wanted the biggest A-frame with a hard-side dormer that we could get. We had looked at Jayco, A-liner, Coachman Clipper, and then the Rockwood. Fell in love with the fit and finishes we saw in the Rockwood. Yes, we are in that niche...a couple in our late 50’s, semi-retired, that likes to take one long trip every other year (like Yellowstone) and many 3-4 night trips April through October...and occasionally take a couple of our little grandkids! .

Rik Peery and jmkay1 like this.
  15. Lost in Space

I think the back half is in the shadows. Picture was taken in bright sunshine.

16. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I dont think so, looks like the A has one leg longer than the other.

17. jeicher

jeicher Member

The Aliner Alite had some strange configurations in the early days. In 2003 the rear folding roof panel is nearly vertical when unfolded. I assume this was done to get maximum head clearance for the door. I had a 2004 Alite and it much more resembled a standard Aliner.
    [​IMG]

18. jmkay1

. i was looking at an old alite where the door was actually in the back as mentioned to get around the no headroom for the door. Can’t remember the age of it but believe is was pre 2000. Pretty interesting if all your looking for is a place to sleep.

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Well Columbia Northwest still offers the Ascape which has a full height rear wall with a door.

https://aliner.com/ascape-campers/

20. jmkay1