a frame vs popup camper

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by HAWKEYE71, Dec 30, 2019.

1. HAWKEYE71

HAWKEYE71 we love to camp

I'm thinking of going camping in az, being a snowbird, I have the chose of using an A frame or my freedom popup. I have the following questions?
    1.Which unit should I take . Pro or con on either.
    2.Do people use popups being a snowbird?
    3.what type of weather should I encounter, thinking of the pinetop-lakeside
    area
    4. What type of campgrounds would you recommend and why?
    5. I would entertain any ideas you may have.
    6. Happy NewYear to ALL:smiley:[usa]

2. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Well-Known Member

I’ve camped in both during cold weather camping. I’ve also stayed inside a hybrid trailer with beds popped out and a teardrop trailer.
    1. Aframes are better than PopUp’s in cold weather camping. You stay warmer inside. Aframes have hard sides and do not have continuous cold air coming inside through the fabric. Newer Aliners are four season campers meaning: their PEX plumbing is located inside and are not exposed to freezing temperatures outside. Aframes have furnaces and or heat pumps which keep the inside toasty. PopUp’s are three season campers. Great for every season except winter. You would have to set up extra stuff to stay warm in a PopUp. Plus use the furnace/heat pump all day & night to stay warm.
    2. Some folks will use PopUp’s in the warmer climate areas during the winter. Areas without freezing temps or snow.
    3. Today’s temperature in Pinetop-Lakeside was a high of 32° and low 16°. Definitely cold weather. Pinetop-Lakeside is too cold for PopUp’s during the winter. It all depends when you’re camping in AZ. If you’re not camping during the winter then a PopUp would work too.
    4. Best campground near Pinetop-Lakeside is AZ State campground called “Fool Hollow Lake” in Show Low. It’s hard to get a reservation during the summer/warmer months. Reservations are easier during the winter. There is a big bird migration during January and lots to see but definitely too cold for PopUp’s. Fool Hollow lake is open all year. It has water & electricity at their RV sites. But if it’s too cold, you will have to dry camp.
    Desert camping is recommended during the winter. Check out AZ State Parks for lots of other choices.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

SteveAZ and Anthony Hitchings like this.
  3. HAWKEYE71

thanks for the info, greatly appreciated!

4. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Gee 12:50 AM. Ya'll must not be old goats <GG>

A rant is posted over in the introduce yourself forum I just authored. Agree with @DiamondGirl about the superiority of the A frame over the CPUP at staying warmer. With the Aframe you are in the core of the camper and not in a cloth tube suspended in the middle of the air with no insulation.

The problem with an Aframe in the winter is providing ventilation. If there is high humidity it will condense on the aluminum frame. We boil water on the propane stove for bathing water. The water from the steam and the water found in the propane can make the insides wet.

It sounds like you own the CPUP but can borrow the Aframe. I say take the one you have never used and see if you like it.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Aframe ventilation is controllable if:
    1)You use split pool noodles or pipe insulation to plug wall-roof gaps
    2) You install a fantastic fan and replace the 3-speed control with an infinitely variable (PWM) control and crack a window a tiny bit (see my post on the PWM)

DiamondGirl likes this.
  6. _WW_

_WW_ Member

I have used my Aframe when the temps got down into the high teens at night. To keep the water from freezing I let the water run at a low trickle and drain onto the ground. I kept the water heater running and the water tank empty because I had city water. The campground had electricity so I used one of the oil filled radiators for heat - silent heat! You can do it, but you have to plan for it. Where I do this is up in BC in the fall and the last week or two can be brutal for cold. I always bring along a 5 gal. Igloo water can in case the CG water gets shut off.

7. HAWKEYE71

thanks, very

8. HAWKEYE71

thank you,very useful info

9. HAWKEYE71

10. HAWKEYE71

thanks very useful info.

11. HAWKEYE71

12. HAWKEYE71

thanks,got some useful info from your responce

13. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Ordered one of those controllers and looked at it. Electricity is not my specialty. The controller has 4 connections. a + and - labeled motor and one labeled power. I havent been inside the fantastic fan yet. Looks like all I have to do is connect the hot wire and snip the motor loose and connect it. Maybe a cave man can do it. Any hints or tricks before I do it? Photos?

14. _WW_

_WW_ Member

Plus and minus wires labeled power go to the leads coming from the battery.
    The motor leads obviously go to the motor.
    Electricity goes from battery to switch, switch to motor.

Make sure the new switch will allow the roof to close.

Econ likes this.
  15. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Econ likes this.
  16. sidneyhop

sidneyhop Member

Everyone agrees that A frame is better during the winter. Is the popup better during the other 3 seasons or warmer climates?

17. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Are you trolling for a fight among the troops???<GG>
    A CPUP has two advantages. It is cheaper per square foot of floor space. If you are ill and was forced to stay inside the camper all day and was boondocking it would be cooler.

Think about it. 1" of insulation and its not leaking air like a sieve. The bed is insulated and close to the A/C / heater. No wires or cranks to break. It's bear legal.

Flyboyonyoursix and DiamondGirl like this.
  18. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I do a lot of off grid camping, no electric, no water. I have the battery for lights and what not but it doesn't operate the AC unit. So that leaves windows. When camping off grid I can open all my popup window to let the breeze in so I'm not suffocating inside. Really nice thing is I get a breeze from all sides. 360 degrees. I personally don't sleep well if I'm hot. I'm not sure how much airflow you get in an a frame as I don't have one. I chose a traditional popup for many reasons and the first one, was for me I found it too claustrophobic for me and two, I would also have a couple other people camp with me. Trying to squeeze two adults and teen + 2 dogs in an a frame would have been like a clown car. [:O)]
    . Every unit has its pluses and minuses and doing research to find all those pros and cons is exactly what you need to do to make an informed decision.
    I will tell you what I like about my traditional popup and what I'm not so crazy about.
    Pros: beds are outside the main floor area so me and my family when they camp with me have space to hang out inside without stepping over clutter, legs, dogs, etc. If it's raining.
    Pros: I have 360 degrees of windows so summer breezes can flow through. Then again this is also a con too.
    Pros:. I can fit/sleep more people
    and their gear more comfortably inside my camper.
    Con when it's colder out i don't have the insulation and there are far more drafts that can sneak in [:>(]
    Con:. If it was raining on a trip I have to open the camper up to air out as soon as I get home.
    Con:. It is a lot more time consuming to set up esspecially if you get in and it's raining.
    There are times I wish I could have two campers assuming I wasn't closterphobic, an a frame for when I camp by myself and it's raining or cold and a traditional popup for my longer trips or with family.
    Good luck with your decision.

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

No one agrees on anything , lol. Its up to you, what you like and your camping style.

Econ, DiamondGirl and Rik Peery like this.
  20. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

We have the big Aliner. To me it is a two person camper that fits my situation perfectly. A camper is a warm or cool bed that has a refrig ,supplies and will keep me dry during a night rain. If I am going to sit it is outside. You can hike during a rain. I'm unconscious 90% of the time I am in it.

As for ventilation while boondocking there is the Fantastic Fan and if full hook ups there is the A/C

DiamondGirl likes this.