A Great First Trip Out !!

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by sue548l, Sep 19, 2010.

1. sue548l

sue548l New Member

It took a while to finally be able to go camping but we just got home and we had a great time !!! I learned a few things about PUP camping vs tent camping.
    1. Shoes come off before you go in just like in a tent.
    2. If your not diligent in putting stuff away the PUP can become just as disorganized as a tent. (Since its only the two of us we removed the second bunk mattress and it is the place for plastic drawers and other loose items)
    3. DH will become a GH (grumpy husband) if you hide the coffee.
    4. The best part - when it pours rain and the wind blows you are not huddled in the center of the tent hoping that rain does not find away in. And,is much easier to pack up a wet PUP then it is a wet tent.

DH was feeling pretty good and I had more help then I thought I would in setting up and taking down. We had a couple of small water leaks. Places that are easily repaired. And I already know of two MODS I want before next summer. One is a shelf in the biggest cupboard and the other is to the bottom of the galley, I want to be able to use this space for storage. The towing part was easier then I thought. I started out slow but was going at the speed limit before long.

I've posted pictures to photo bucket. (Hope this works)
    http://s944.photobucket.com/albums/ad290/sue548l/First%20Trip%20with%20PUP/

The bigger bunk end is saggy and I have no idea why or how to tighten it up. Any suggestions?

If DH's health continues to improve we are going to try for another weekend out in 2 weeks.

I couldn't have done this without all the tips and directions I found on this forum !!!

Thank you all !

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

When you say the bunk is saggy, do you mean the wood bottom of the bunk or the whole bunk assembly? Do the bunk end supports rods seem like they are the correct length? Just something to think about.

3. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

Just what the heck does support the canvas? There's no 'shepherd's pole'.

[​IMG]

Any other hard side owners out there who can shed some light?

Sweet looking camper, BTW. Keep it in it's original condition. I love it !!

4. sue548l

sue548l New Member

There's a U shaped pole that goes thru a sleeve and then is positioned into a metal rail on the bunk board. Changing the pitch of the support pole makes no difference in the saggyness. There is no Shepherds pole. Do you think I could undo the canvas on the right side and pull it tighter???

5. sehuff903

sehuff903 1985 Palomino MXL

Is it just the canvas that is sagging. Ours has a slight bit of sag which I consider normal for the type of support it has. Does it seem as if the canvas support pole needs to put more tension on the canvas.
    Our small bunk
    [​IMG]
    Our large bunk
    [​IMG]
    On our 85 Palomino MXL there is a strip along each side of the larger bunk that has pegs to adjust the U type pole that supports the canvas.
    [​IMG]
    On the smaller bunk the strips are missing but the PO placed a screw on each side that the pole rest on, but it keeps good tension on our canvas.
    [​IMG]
    As long as the corners of the canvas are seated on the corners of the U pole the only adjustment I see is the strip that the feet of the pole rest on.
    Perhaps dupreet will see this post and shed more light on the subject