a human expels a gallon of water in breathing per night?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by denemante, Apr 15, 2012.

1. denemante

denemante New Member

When I was tent shopping long ago, someone told me that no matter what time of year - you had to keep windows open. This is to allow air to flow. He said a single person can breath out the equavalent of something like a gallon of water per night. If you close your tent up tight - it's got no where to go. Even worse if you have a bunch of people.

So how might this work in a PUP? Do the roof AC units circulate air (and exhaust inside humid air to the outside in the process)? And what about the opt. heat setting on them (the "heat strip")? If that were bringing in colder outside air - it would negate itself.

Is it perhaps that PUPs have larger cubic space inside vs. a tent, so this "breath humidity" isn't a concern?

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

I always open up a corner at least [8D]

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Still true in a pup. You'll find threads in sections here on the "rain" in the bunk ends and the like.

4. denemante

denemante New Member

Actually I just found in the manual it says to crack end bunk top windows just a tad. I could see that perhaps helping a tiny bit - but really not much cross venilation. What about something like a tiny computer fan tucked into an open window corner blowing air out? Or even one of the bunk-end fans? Leave all other windows shut. Not sure if the heatstrip is recirculating air or getting some from outside. But a pup isn't airtight - so maybe a tiny fan sucking the air out of the camper would help much more than just cracking windows.

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

The heat strip has nothing to do with air. It is an electric device that just gets hot.There is no combustion so it requires no air nor gives off any moisture. You can think of a heat strip as a conveniently (yet improperly) placed electric space heater.As to opening the windows at night this is a must, a small fan expelling air will help but you are still going to get condensation if you don't have ventilation.What I do is unzip the entire top edge of the bunk end windows unless it is really warm then all windows are open.

6. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Hint: a gallon weighs around 8 pounds - looks like I found a new weight loss diet!! :)
    I think it's around a tenth of a gallon per (24 hour) day.
    Open those windows!

7. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

When camping I may expel a gallon of beer at night, we live in a desert and I like to conserve water.

8. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Trust the replies!! I never had condensation in my tents. But when I bought the pup, and woke up to the water torture drips I nearly lost my mind thinking the canvas was leaking over my bunk!!

Last trip out in the cold, I used my furnace, a small fan to blow the heat towards the front bunk and I wrapped the shepherds hook in a large Sham Wow. Opened the windows on each end of my bunk about 6"and haven't woken up all drippy since!! Now thats Sham WOW!!! :)):))

Sorry, I couldn't resist!!
    ;D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We always leave a vent open and window cracked, especially in cold weather. Otherwise, we get "the drips." From the camper roof, that is.

10. denemante

denemante New Member

As per the condensation on a glass example - if it's 35 outside but 55 in the PUP - I understand the possibility of condensation on the inside tops of the bunkends. But does it work both ways, or is this normally a cold weather thing?

Like if it's 85 outside at night, but the AC is cranked so it's 65 inside the PUP - could the same thing happen?

I guess I'm asking what conditions are most favorable for condensation inside?

11. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I agree that people breathing in a pup can cause condensation on the inside of the canvas if proper ventilation is not allowed. What I don't agree with is the gallon per person claim. A gallon of water weighs 8.34 lbs. Do you really think a person can lose that much weight in a night of sleeping?

12. denemante

denemante New Member

No, I was way off on the gallon...but with a few people it's a decent amount.

13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I refer you to the defroster in the original VW Bug...it was was a direct vent to outside air.The theory? if the glass on the inside of the window is as cold as the glass on the outside of the window it cant frost...did it work? Yup pretty well (at least here in MN where it gets real cold)

14. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

If you are worried... Just move out here to the desert... mold is pretty much non existent here along with no fleas or mosquitoes... problem solved! [:D]

Here is a little bit of mindless trivia--- do you know that Lake Mead evaporates an (average) over the year, 25,000 gallons of water EVERY SECOND!?! Obviously.. more in the summer... less in winter... but WOW!

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I read somewhere that it can be as much as a quart but a gallon is over the top. Regardless, open at least two windows across from one another a bit and you should have no condensation problem.

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Water condenses on the cold A/C coils and drains on the PU roof, keeps the inside dry. :) The few times I've camped with A/C meant I could pack up a dry PU in the morning.