A-Liner bungee cord replacement

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by liberty belle, Mar 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. liberty belle

liberty belle New Member

We haven't camped in years. We are now retiring and purchased a 2005 A-Liner a few weeks ago. We need instructions on replacing the bungee cords. We are only beginners so we'd like the basics. Many of the instructions online have modifications to make the process better. For us, we'd like to simply replace what's there so we can get out on the road without too much expertise and expense. Thank you.

2. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Welcome to the forum,

I haven't had to replace our bungees yet since our Aliner is 4 years old. But a member from this forum has a great YouTube channel called "GoingNoWhereFast." There's a video where he replaces the Aliner bungees. He's very informative. GoingNoWhereFast has many videos of information for Aliner owners.

And if you call ColumbiaNorthWest, (724)237-5227 (EST time). They will answer any questions regarding your Aliner. I've contacted them several times since buying my NTM Aliner Classic. They answer the phone and are very helpful.

3. liberty belle

liberty belle New Member

Thank you! I have seen some of his videos. For the Bungees, he wasn't quite as specific as we needed. I will contact Columbia NW. I appreciate the advice.

4. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

There is another group with quite a bit more members but the knowledge base is about the same most of this stuff is call A-Liner and learn as you go! My A-Liner is a 2008 and I am going to replace mine also after a call to A-Liner to get the dope. Looks to me like some rivits will have to be drilled out and remove and some brackets not a hard job appearing to me.

The big thing is just to not be intimidated by all this, use common sense and if you know someone who is handy have him help you out.

5. DiamondGirl

Liberty Belle,

Another suggestion, contact your local Aliner dealership and find out if they service Aliners. This was suggested by CNW when I called for information on replacing bungees, roof springs and weather stripping. They said local dealerships can service Aliners. DH is too busy. We will take her into the dealership during off season.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

6. bob barnes

One thing if you cut the bungees you need to have a place to lay the top 1/2 against something solid like the front of your garage or something while you are working on it. I am going to wait until the end of the season as we have a trip to Alaska planned this summer!

7. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Active Member

There is a Facebook page for Aliner repairs. Don't know if you are on Facebook, but the moderator and the folks that participate are super knowledgeable about Aliner repairs. In order to join, you need to have a picture of your Aliner on your Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1842300225998632/?ref=group_cover

There is also a Yahoo group alinerchaleta-frames (you should be able to search). Bungee replacement has been discussed and photographed with this group.

Finally, there is an Aliner Owners Club that is a paid group. I do not belong to that one, but have heard great things about it. https://alinerownersclub.org/.

8. bob barnes

Well big-shot dave michaels threw me off for some reason he didn't like me!!!

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

My OEM kit from the current Aliner vendor came with instructions.

10. Anthony Hitchings

BTW I replaced our bungees months ago with new parts from the vendor, per their instructions. One side seems less taut than I would like. One half of the pair of cords (actually, one "U" cord) on the other side is slack - I have no idea why (even after looking it over just now).

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

12. DiamondGirl

We did ours a long while ago in 2017. Got a replacement kit from Chalet. Chalet had a better product. They have a webbing which encompasses and covers the bungees in a sleeve. This provides protection from UV & weather which keeps the bungees from fraying and or sun damage.

Install was easier than we expected. The hardest part was being able to read the instructions. We receive a very poor photo copy.

Not sure if Chalet continues to sell the same product. No pictures were available on their website. The website looks different today than three years ago.

Our bungees look and function well after three years since the installation.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

13. Eagle27

Eagle27 New Member

Aliner owners club has a good article on how to replace bungee cords.

14. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Contact John Pfiel on Facebook page Midwest Aliner repair. He has filed posted that covers most common repairs on Aliners. Free to join, he has a repair shop and is very responsive to questions about Aliners.

15. Anthony Hitchings

I joined his Facebook Group, and then almost immediately unjoined once I realized that he does not want to hear from us with our opinions and mods. Which he states rights up front if one bothers to read :)

He only wants questions which only he will answer.

16. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

John Pfiel states so that so the content is relevant to the repair. He specializes in Aliner repairs and often is a consultant on repairs with the Aliner factory. I have used his advice e and made my repairs on point. I hope he continues to support Aliner campers.