A Lot of New Campers out.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by daveo1289, Jul 27, 2020.

1. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

My DW and I just got back from our 3rd trip of the summer. There are a great number of new and first time campers out because of the C-19. While we enjoy seeing any camper out, it's become a good time for some of us "seasoned" campers to help out. Every time this year, my wife and I have been able to lend a hand to a few people who either didn't have something or didn't understand something. One family this last trip couldn't unhook the camper from their TV. I waited for a few minutes before wandering over and helped them out and then pointed out a few things they were unaware of. They made a point of letting me know they were first timers and as I told them, we were all first timers at one point.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Somehow im picturing this!

3. Sjm9911

Seriously, i am seeing the same , tons of new folks out and about. Rentals also. I think most resurch a bit but some just think its tow and go. And most , as tou siad dont have what they need. Help if you can or abil and stay safe. I atually had a guy watch and help me dump my black tank so they could learn how to do theres. Yup, who would have figured that.

4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I agree. Not everyone can learn from watching youtube videos. I know I was lucky to have folks around me to help me learn. I've tried to do the same for others.

5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Grateful to have been raised in the woods & on the water, & you can always learn something new; noticed over the years the vast majority of new campers are glad to have help/advice when offered; have run across a few (dudes) that would rather ignore their spouse/girlfriend & insist they could handle everything; I always wait & access each situation before offering to help lol

6. Toedtoes

The best advice is "if you're feeling stressed, stop and take a breather". I know when I get stressed, I don't want to hear folks' advice. If I back off for a few, I'm open to suggestions again.

7. oceanstater

oceanstater Member

Well count me as one of the newbies out there. We learned a lot on our trip, mostly by trial and error. Interestingly enough there were not a lot of pop ups out there. Mostly RVs, teardrops, travel trailers, etc. Made us feel a little "old school."

8. netslacker

netslacker Member

We've thought the same. We're "new" too, but more like having taken a 25 year absence and now re-entering the popup scene. We've been surprised at how few popups are at most campgrounds. However, there's one CG we started going to in PA and it has a good number of popups. We're not the only one like we are at many local CG's.

HappyTraveler and daveo1289 like this.
  9. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I seem to find someone that needs help just about every trip for some reason. But I tend to take considerably more tools along than most do "just in case". A friend of mine was 1/2 joking with me last trip when he said I had more tools in my camper than he has at home. Ironically he was over to my camper looking for help fixing something. I just prefer to fix things myself than pay someone else to do it.

Funny how often all those tools come in handy though.

10. Toedtoes

I have a buddy who stored spare parts in his clipper that didn't fit his clipper. He says "someone may need the part". He's sold his clipper and is slowly eliminating all those spare parts.

Another friend will often come over to borrow kitchen tools, etc. I joked once about what she does when I'm not there. She said if she goes solo, she pays more attention to what she's bringing, but if she's meeting up with me she doesn't worry - I'll have it...

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I must admit while I can completely setup solo, deploying the awning and attaching the screen room is much easier with an extra pair of hands.
    I usually get stressed when "help" does something out of order like trying to push in the bunks while I'm packing up stuff inside. Didn't help that it resulted in the last cup of coffee getting knocked over and spilled all over the counter and floor.

12. Sjm9911

I will say, always have spare coffee about. That ones on you[:D] i learned to put a full cup in the tv when breaking down. My kid has a 100 percent chance to knock over my drink when i put it in a protected area.

13. Toedtoes

Rule #1 of helping: ask what you can do and do that. Do not start doing stuff without the go ahead from the person you are helping.

14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I'm always willing to help but generally wait to be asked.

firepit, Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  15. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I agree with @kcsa75... except I did offer up a “friendly suggestion” to a fella at the dump station a month or two ago.... USE A HOSE!!

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

The wife holds me back. Hard to stay seated when they roll up and try to level the camper with the stabilizers. Wife and kids are standing outside, while he carries a level around and adjust stabilizers for half an hour using an impact.

17. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Agree...I won't help until somebody asks.
    I do watch but i don't make it obvious.
    There is nothing worse than spectators watching you set up or the
    guy who walks over and wants to BS while you are setting up.

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

True, I think I will put one of my many thermoses in the PUP to fill with coffee for the road.
    I had just made it, washed and dried the coffee maker. I was actually putting it in the cabinet when I heard the support poles hit the ground. I'm on the floor thinking "what the devil happened" then here comes the bunk and there goes the coffee. I did say something I should not have and had to apologize. I'm trying to figure out how she thought the bunk and I were going to occupy the same space at the same time. She's like sorry for helping(sarcastically) and why are you yelling at me? We actually enjoyed our stay a lot. The pack and trip there was fine. Starting with setup she was in a "I'm going to help" mood. For some reason that weekend she had the reverse Midas Touch, she could have turned gold into poo. Thanks to the "help" breaking camp we were about two hours later getting on the road than I had planned, then Memorial Day traffic was horrible. It was a vivid reminder of why I avoid holiday travel, except Labor Day because it's our anniversary. We book really early, travel there on Thursday, and wait until Tuesday to come home.

19. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

That's the only way to go for holiday weekends.

HappyTraveler and Randy Miller like this.
  20. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

I can relate to setting up alone. I have developed a process. When my SIL's father came over to "help" me once, it threw me off. I ended up loosing a piece to the coupler. No big deal but still had me shaking my head.

HappyTraveler likes this.