A Lot of New Campers out.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by daveo1289, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Tyl

Tyl Member

It’s me. I’m the newbie. Restoring a 1979 Coleman Huron pop up and I learned a lot on my first trip but two VERY important things:

- Don’t level your trailer wirh the stabilizers or you won’t be able to close your door. They’re not for that.

- A hammer / mallet is the oldest and most useful tool and you’ll need one about 20 times during your trip. I made do with a piece of firewood.

Bear with us we’re learning!

2. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Active Member Platinum Supporting Member

well, as my father used to say...."if it doesn't fit the first time, get a bigger hammer" [lol]

Happy Trails to you

3. Sean T Smith

Sean T Smith New Member

I'm not new to camping, but I am new to PUPs. My son (11) and I have set up down to about 15-20 min. My wife came with us last week and it took almost an hour.[::)]
    I used to camp out of a 71 VW Bus, so I'm the guy that always takes extra tools. There's always someone that doesn't even have a screwdriver.

4. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem you have starts to look like a nail."

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

That's why when we arrive at the campsite, my wife takes the kids and the dog for a bit while I do the outside setup. The kids are old enough to help, but my A.D.D. brain has a hard time delegating tasks while remebering what I was doing.

6. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

It's only my wife and I but she also goes for a walk when we get to the campsite. I am grateful she relies on my decisions getting the camper in place and set up. Many times we've seen camping weekends start out bad with couples arguing about where to put it and how to set it up.

neighbormike and Steveo4090 like this.
  7. Mark CASTELLANI

my sister and B-in-law bought a TT last year... I told her CLEAR COMMUNICATION... "Drivers Side / Passenger Side" and then my DW sent them an embroidered pillow.... "Sorry for what I said when we were backing in the Camper" [LOL]

Happy Trails!

8. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Same here. I used to offer any time I saw someone struggling. After being snapped at a few times because the campers were rather stressed out, I just don't bother offering up front anymore.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. Steveo4090

I don't usually walk up and give unsolicited advice or help. I think I'm normally pretty good at reading people and can tell if they'd accept help or suggestions. Even so I only go offer help if they seem really truly in need of help and not just having a rough time this go round. I haven't been snapped at yet...so far, but who knows what will happen next time :shocked:

If they're really nasty I'd just take the mute off my banjo, sit there in my chair and serenade them...loudly[LOL]

Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Some people learn better on their own, some people need hands-on help. I've got no problem letting it go either way. But, I camped last year with a buddy and his family who had recently upgraded from one well-used trailer to a bigger, slightly newer trailer. They don't communicate the greatest and my buddy doesn't take direction very well. His wife, who is also my co-worker and knows me better than he does, looked at me in frustration and didn't know how to handle it. I sat back with a beer and watched knowing that if I got involved, it would only be because he asked me to. I wasn't going to open Pandora's Box on that trip....

Rik Peery, Steveo4090 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I do it by myself. It takes longer . But its all i got. I tried having someone help me once, they kept giving me the wrong dirctions. Lol. Never again. Ill do it myself......eventually!

12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I don't let strangers provide backing up directions. I've had them jump out of their cars at home to direct me. Never fails that they don't ask WHERE I want to end up, so they direct me to the wrong position. I end up parking, waving them away, then reparking the camper where it's supposed to be.

There are a couple people who I trust inherently to direct me into the right position, but otherwise I'll do it myself thank you.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I consider myself pretty good at backing so I don’t need help often but every now and then if its tight with a tree or something on my blind side I will ask her for help. I am not to proud to ask. I would rather have her spot me than destroy my camper.

campfire Joe and Sjm9911 like this.
  14. Mark CASTELLANI

it's another "Story Time with Mark"...

True Story...a couple of years ago, a family pulls into the site next to ours and, after he get's settled, he comes over and starts "talking us up". He's all excited about getting a "new to him" Class B [I think it was a Rialta]... never had an RV before... maiden voyage.

The next morning we're awaken to screams... FIRE, FIRE, it's on Fire!!.. I look out of the canvas and their propane camp stove, on the picnic table, is spewing flames at the tank connection. He's trying to douse the flame with dirt... neighbor on his other side is rushing over with a blanket to try and smother the flame. I grab our fire extinguisher and empty it on the blaze...tell my family to get back, WAY BACK... fire out, but propane still spewing. ...tell him to let it cool down and then unscrew the tank....crisis averted... he's all bummed... was just trying to make coffee, outside, so he wouldn't wake his family.

We made them a pot of coffee... after we got back from hiking, they were gone.. We said a prayer for them.

Happy Trails

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  15. Steveo4090

Yikes, that's scary. Bet he went home and put the whole rig up on craigslist and sold it for a loss...deciding to stay safely in hotels instead :huh:

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  16. Mark CASTELLANI

BTW: he DID have an extinguisher in his camper... I guess he just panicked... a good friend of mine always said... "the problem is NEVER the problem... how we handle the problem, now THAT's the problem"

Happy Trails

17. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I see a ton of newbies with single axle junk trailers with no payload, and mini 16-17 foot hybrids. Pups new zip, dying breed.

18. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

Having to chuckle about couples working together to back a trailer into a spot.
    Here's what we now do.
    When we get to our site, we will stop and both get out to look the site over and decide where he should back the pup to. Then he gets in the driver seat and I go sit down at the picnic table and watch. DH does it all himself and here's why. He has a 4-post lift in the garage. He's able to back our 21 ft two axle pup onto that lift all by himself. We're talking threading a needle here. So CLEARLY he doesn't need me to tell him where to go or how to do it.
    Works for us and neither of us gets our blood pressure raised.

19. Mark CASTELLANI

my DW is always telling me where to go.... [LOL]

Happy Trails

Jack Sprat and HappyTraveler like this.
  20. slowcarfast

slowcarfast Active Member

All these newbies just mean I can't find a campsite! I was shocked out west this summer how hard it was to find spots. We had to find dispersed sites almost everywhere we went even arriving early afternoon on a weekday. Made for some adventures down questionable forest roads, especially with a FWD tow vehicle...

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.