A New Camper in the Family On-Boarded Today

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Ken Lane, May 14, 2019.

1. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

We brought home an 8 week old Golden Lab tonight. A little girl dog to join the little monkeys. The wife and I decided that our little ones are old enough now to help with the doggy chores and it would be good learning experience to teach responsibility. So now we have an additional camper to to take on our camping trips. Ahh life can be sweet, and then there are puppies.

Arlyn Aronson, 1380ken and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Please share pictures when you're able!

3. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on getting such a sweet buddy.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Congratulations. Love to see pictures. :kiss: Teach the pup early about camping. Exposing her to the camper, the tight boundaries of a campsite, and all the activity. Some dogs take to it right away others not so much.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on the new addition to the family. I know the kids will really enjoy the Lab. Dogs make great camping partners and really help out in making memories

6. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

We really really need pictures. Congrats on the new addition.

7. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

Hers is the newest Lane family member.

Attached Files:

8. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

She's adorable. What did you name her?
    We have a 2 year old golden retriever who tent camped with us the summer we go her and went to BC with us last summer. She's a camping pro now. We have to leave our old golden at home when we camp. She was a rescue and hates cars and confined spaces. We try on short trips but I think we've determined she's happier at home.

9. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

Thank you for the kind comment. This little girl is named "Shandy of Black Oak." But the family just calls her Shandy, or Pup Star. And I have thought of a few others at 3:00 AM waiting for her to finish her business in the back yard. My family and I have owned three Golden's, Shandy of the West Cape, Shandy of Dogwood, and Sam of Hounds Lake. I gave Shandy 1, my gun dog, back to her breeder family when my family left Capetown 30 some odd years. Shandy 2 died of cancer in the 90s, that was heartbreaking. And Hounds Lake Sam 3 was my water dog. Sammy died of old age. He was my good boy and a great water retriever. I will see them again at the Rainbow Bridge someday. This new Labrador is intended as a family pet. I will take her to the trap and skeet range to introduce her to gunfire and see if she naturally retrieves in a few months. But at 8 weeks she needs to play, sleep and grow.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    neighbormike likes this.