A New "Used" Camper for us?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Charles Mr. Hall, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Charles Mr. Hall

Charles Mr. Hall New Member

Hello,
    First post here. Family of 7, and one granddaughter, kids mostly grown up. I turned 55 this year and for the first time, this one bothered me. I feel like my life is over.

Would like to get back to camping that I used to do before life got in the way. I had a camper in a previous life, and would like to do it again. Being a little older (55/48), we would love a TT, but dont want to buy a tow vehicle. We are shopping for a PUP but just not sure what route to go.

Wish List:
    1. Slide Out
    2. Water heater
    3. Shower / Potty (indoor)(national park)
    4. Sleep 4-6 MIN (when the kids join us)
    5. Awning
    6. Decent sitting area.
    Are there older units that have these amenities? Not sure I want to drop 13k or more on a new unit. Also not sure I want something I have to work on LOL. Im kind of chasing my tail looking for the right unit.

Thanks for reading.

chaz-

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Welcome from Wisconsin! Camping can be great therapy and I hope you find a way to get back into it... I (personally) would suggest older (90's) Starcrafts or one of the Jay Series Jayco's. No need to spend $13k on a camper!

4. Charles Mr. Hall

Where are you finding these? Our CL is nearly void of any popups at all.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I bought a Fleetwood Utah for only $3500 5 years ago that offers everything but an inside shower. The biggest problem is, is it's heavy. My unit weighs a gross of 3600 pounds I tow it with a mid size SUV with a 5000 tow rating anything smaller would be unwise. Sure there are used units with everything you are looking for, but what are you towing with? That will be your biggest deciding factor.

6. Charles Mr. Hall

I need to be 2800 or less. SUV with Tow cap of 3500lbs.

MaeKay likes this.
  7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I am really only familiar with CL but many are having good luck with Facebook Marketplace... others will suggest letgo... unfortunately, patience and timing are key players here.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. The key to finding anything is to Branch out. Don't look just in your area but else where as well. I found my popup 5 hours away from home through a site called RV trader. Also it will take time and immence amount of patience and gas. Not to discourage you, but it took me nearly a year of actively searching to find my popup. If I had more money to put down would have been easier because I was picky too.

MaeKay and neighbormike like this.
  9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle.

10. alabasterjar

alabasterjar Member

Welcome to the Pup Portal!
    We purchased a late 90s Coleman Grandview SP for $1500 and spent another $1500 renovating it and getting our tow vehicle outfitted (brake controller, air bags, OBD2 decoder to monitor transmission temps, mirror extensions, etc). The Grandview SP has all the amenities you listed, and loaded comes in around 2800-3000 pounds. I have a family of 6 & our first camping experience ever was 20 days traveling from NE Indiana to Washington State and back for my sister's wedding. The Grandview SP provided everything we needed for our home away from home.

Be patient, expand your CL search to surrounding areas and something will come up. Best of luck to you!

neighbormike likes this.
  11. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Camping has been great for my mental health battle. I hope it helps you find your way.

I’m not as experienced as some but keep in mind that a slide can add 800 or more pounds. Our Bayside was 3500 pounds fully loaded. But oh my was it spacious! It was a 2007, amazing condition, and we paid $4500 for it. It is totally possible to find something in the middle (not too expensive but not a fixer upper...we are not DIY’ers in our family).

Definitely post here with possible campers. That’s how I started to learn which ones were worth looking at. We ended up finding one that looked better than most (photos always blow my mind how they hide total disasters), then I did a video chat with them, then we drove 4 hours away to buy it.

Biggest tip, feel the floorboards for softness. And look at the roof. Any wetness in the roof or previous leaks and I’d walk away. It’s a major rebuild. They’ll say they fixed the leak but really they just sealed it so the wetness that was already inside is just slowly eating away at your roof.

Good luck!

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The vehicle your planning to tow with will dictate what size, weight and amenities you can look for in a pup.

theseus and Raycfe like this.
  13. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Are there any slide floorplans that you’re aware of that are under 2800 pounds?

Our Viking was only 1800 pounds but didn’t have a slide. But it was so easy to maneuver around the yard compared to the bayside!

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Don't let 55 get to you! Spending time camping with your family is good therapy. And frustrating and annoying and probably just what you need.

Where are you planning on camping? Will you need air conditioning? If not, you get a smaller trailer and pack tent and air mattresses for extra kids and a screen room and comfy furiture for hanging out. If you do need AC, well, I don't know how people camp in that sort of place anyway. :)

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Pups with slides are going be close or over the 3000lb mark when loaded for campering depending on what other amenities it has and how much stuff you pack into it.

Orchid and MaeKay like this.
  16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png You may have to rethink the slide and inside shower. If the kids are old enough put some of them in a tent. And don't forget that above the weight of all those passengers and their stuff.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  17. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Welcome to the group! Sounds like maybe you are in the next "phase" of life and maybe a pop-up can be your adventure and focus for that? While of course I love my kids so much, I do look forward to a time when they are older and DH and I can go travel and do things and have adventure again.

If you like the TT feel, I would suggest looking at a high wall pop-up. We have a 2006 Fleetwood Niagara and it has a lot of the amenities of a TT. Dual-bowl sink, water heater, microwave, hard-sided bathroom (toilet & shower combo), dinette, and couch. For us a big advantage is 2 king beds, which means we can sleep 3 of us in one bed comfortably and 2 in the other. HW's are heavier though and we are definitely pushing our tow limits and have many TV upgrades to help with that. We realized that we like having the amenities of a TT, but didn't have the TV or budget for one and also we do like the open feeling of a PUP. So a HW works for us.

I also think used is the way to go if you aren't positive about what will work for you. Our first PUP was very nice, but we quickly realized it was not the right one for us. It was easy to sell the old and buy a different one when you're talking about a few thousand dollars rather than tens of thousands.

Good luck to you!

18. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Unrealistic expectation, wanting to tow a popup with all those amenities with a vehicle that has such a low 3500 lb tow rating. Forget the shower/toilet, slide, front trunk and a 12 footer like a Fleetwood Sun Valley / Tacoma or Jayco 1207 which dry weigh ~ 2000 lbs would meet your needs nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Despite the belief your combination of towing your high wall Niagara (UVW 3055 lbs, GVWR 3770 lbs [:O] ) with your Dodge minivan is OK the reality is you're towing WAY beyond the rated capabilities of your vehicle and is an especially horrible recommendation for the OP's "family of 7". No way should a Caravan of any flavour tow a trailer this heavy while also transporting that many people and all their "stuff". Yeah I know, you often do see others in campgrounds doing exactly what you're doing but doesn't make it any less dangerous. [V]

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

^^^^^This