A New "Used" Camper for us?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Charles Mr. Hall, Aug 8, 2019.

1. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

My advice would be to divide your wish list into wants and needs. If your weight limitation is real, then I would go with a basic 12' box without a slideout. I would also skip the interior shower and toilet for more room also. A rig like that can sleep 6 easily and up to 8 if you have smaller kids. It will also top out around 2800-2900 to be able to tow it. It is exactly what we have and we have slept 9 in our and just back from a 19 day trip with 6 of us and two dogs, all good sized people. If you need a porta pottie, you can bring one along, but a 12' box will give you everything else you need. As noted above, you can find them used for maybe $3-5K if you are willing to look and travel to get one.

MaeKay likes this.
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You're going to have to choose between the bathroom and slide out. We have a '99 Coleman Nevada with a bathroom and no slide. There are similar year Colemans with slides and no bathroom that weigh about the same as mine.

We paid $1500 for ours. It sleeps 7 people and I've actually had that many people stay in it (4 were children) a couple of times. Realistically, it sleeps 6, four adults and 2 children. I suppose they decided to say it would sleep 7 because 3 kids could share the king bunk.

3. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

Totally agree, Towing beyond the rated towing capacity can be very dangerous and people need to take that serious. I see it all the time in campgrounds. At some point people have to realize you have two options. Upgrade the tow vehicle or down size the camper. You and your families lives are at stake. Think about this, towing over weight is dangerous enough that they have weigh stations to stop the truckers from doing it. Its that serious.

4. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

I would add that as the weight goes up the tongue weight limitation can get serious real fast. If you have the right kind of TV a wdh can help a lot. But with 3500 the HW is probably to much for your TV. There are a couple of larger Jayco's within your weight class that would be great rigs for your large family too. I have the same sentiment you have for buying a truck. I would rather not.

5. raising4daughters

raising4daughters New Member

Wow, I'm worried about potentially upgrading and towing a 12' box with slide, no toilet/shower and GVWR of 3,300 with a 2018 Pacifica and 3,600 lb. rating should our aging Trailblazer die. Never would I ever consider a highwall with a minivan.