a person set up?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Amysf, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Amysf

Amysf New Member

Hello, this is a very basic question. I am considering purchasing a Coleman Laramie, but I'm wondering if it is possible to set up the tent by myself. How long does set-up usually take? Thanks!

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

It really depends on how much stuff you bring. The trailer by itself takes about 15-20 mins after practicing a couple times. When you add canopies, awnings, chairs, outside kitchen setup, try to make the inside look like home etc., it all adds to the time significantly.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I have been able to set up both of our pups solo. How solo-user friendly a pup is depends on size, type of mechanisms and the user's abilities. We just had to switch to a TT, realizing that my blown back and shoulder issues were making solo set-up and take-down too stressful. (I'll be 60 soon, and am not yet ready to give up solo trips.) I had two solo trips this year, though.
    Basic set-up for me, solo, probably took half an hour or so, but I tried not to hurry, that makes injuring myself more likely. It also doesn't count the niceties and extras, such as patio mat, shade structure (the awning we had was not a one-person task), outdoor tables, etc.

4. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

It can be done practice and it gets easier. I can level and setup up mine in 15 minutes. The more stuff (George Carlin LOL) the longer it takes. I do the stuff in phases but about 45 minutes all total by myself. With the family there is much more stuff so more time.

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I camped solo so many times that it becomes easy to do awning all by my lonesomeself. I recently bought Niagara and I can do all without needing help.

6. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

7. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

My wife sets our unit up to load for a trip by herself occasionally. I would say the awning may take some practice but all it is doable.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I had an old 91 jayco and I was able to set it up solo with out a problem . the awning unfortunately I never found a way to get this to work for me solo.

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Oh - and welcome to the forum!!

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I actually enjoy setting up the pup by myself sometimes. I just take my time and do things at my own pace. As far as the bunks i found it easier to leave canvas loose on the bed and set the support bar first then pull canvas over the bottom edge and strap it down. Then go inside and set the shepards pole to taunt it. (Hope that makes sense). The awning. I usually wait for help to arrive

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

:) Welcome from southeast Connecticut. Happy and safe camping, Glad you stopped by PopUp Portal. [CP] You just set up a routine and practice, I do ours by myself all the time.

12. Amysf

Amysf New Member

[RTM] This feels like a special place! Thank you all for giving me the confidence for another step to liberty!

13. davido

davido Active Member

I prefer setting mine up myself. It's faster that way. Takes maybe 15 minutes. Take-down is a little slower because I find that I have to be more careful about not pinching the canvass.

It's all the "other stuff" that takes time.

14. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

Hello & welcome from Savannah, GA! [:D] I frequently camp alone (well, with my trusty dog, Bella [DOG]) and I can setup my camp with just me. The more I do it, the easier & quicker it seems to get.

15. Everstar

Everstar 2010 Coleman Avalon

The only area where help is really nice is in the take down when you want to keep the tenting going under shell when cranking the top down. That part you have to do some cranking, walk around and tuck, and then repeat as needed. Its all very doable as everyone else has indicated.

We use a large tub and plastic chest of drawers system to help as well. So Pot's pans, plastic silverware, cups ect stay in trailer always stored away. We keep a real set of silverware and utensils permanently stored in the trailer. Also keep chairs, tents and sleeping bags all stored in trailer as well. Rope for a towel line, Marshmallow/Hot Dog roasting sticks as well all stay in trailer.

Things like, first aide, sunscreen, bug spray, batteries, flashlights, weather radio, ect all stay in tubs in garage as not to be ruined by heat and cold. Some of those things stay in a plastic chest of drawers that conveniently just gets put in camper and sits keeping all that organized while others go in large plastic tubs with lids. We also keep other incidentals in the tubs as well.

Then we have the Dry food tub that we grab from garage before trip and load with Hot Chocolate, power bars, ect
    We keep a cooler, camp stove, all ready to go in garage so it's easy to load up and go. Cold food goes in cooler, Ice packs from Freezer and then grab ICE on way.

Point is that if you have all this ready like that then the time to get out the door and then setup on the other end is minimal. Tubs are great as they are waterproof and they slide into truck to lock up at night and can sit on a table during the day under the awning.

Other little tricks include leaving water hose in shower and AC hookup cord inside door on floor so both are easily accessible when arriving on location. The crank, and fold up table sits right there as well.

A lot of planning reduces setup time immensely.

Hopes that you have great adventures and great fun!

16. George Rose

George Rose Member

I prefer to set up our Jayco by myself. I would double check anything that was done by someone else any way. [8D]

17. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I always set up the pup my myself. When we get to the campground, I'll unload the kids bikes, and turn em loose... DW keeps an eye on the kids, while I set up the pup. I can usually have it up in 15 min or so. Practice really makes a difference. Taking it down, again is usually just me. Yes it takes a little longer, as I lower the top, tuck the canvas, lower, tuck etc... I try to get the canvas tucked in just right, so it takes a few extra min, but I'd estimate 30 min.

As others have said, popping up the camper may not be the "final" piece of the set up. That depends on how elaborate your set up is... outdoor kitchens, tables, mats, indoor arrangement of pillows, and other items take time as well...

To answer your question, yes it can be done by one person, and it usually is done by one person.

18. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Welcome to the portal! I do most of the set up myself (my mom is 86 so limited in her abilities). As others have said its really all of the other stuff that takes the time. There surely are ways to keep it less complicated like using sleeping bags instead of making the beds for example. It's how you decide works best. I take a bit longer packing up as I like to give it a good cleaning and wipe down the floor so it will be ready for the next trip.
    And, you are right: this IS a special place!!!

19. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I actually prefer to set up myself. Pop-ups are one of those things that when setting up, things need to be done in a certain order. In the past I have had 'helpful' people assist in set-up and things have been damaged or needed to be undone in order to do it properly. It's amazing how a simple mistake can cause issues!

20. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

Set up is done by yours truly. It does take between 15 to 20 minutes to set the Niagara up and functioning. Due to the A/C on the roof, my 20 volt Craftsman drill makes raising the roof easy and quick. [8D] [PU] [PUT]