A Question About Campgrounds, Wi-Fi and Vonage

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by NHDalton, Jun 29, 2009.

1. NHDalton

NHDalton I camp, therefore I am

This is directed to the Vonage users.

When you go to a campground that has wi-fi, can you use a service like Vonage there or is the connection tooooo slooooooooooow for it?

2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

I am not a Vonage user, but am a 'power user' of the Internet. Every campground I have been to that has 'wireless' has had one or two residential routers, usually located in the campground office or a commons/snack bar area. The first challenge is not having access without hanging on the side of the office building!! The second challenge comes when many campers get on and the single DSL line must meet very high demand. This has gotten exponentially worse in the last year or two as folks stream audio, video, and phone service [;)]. Then there are all those youngsters, my daughter being one of them, with an Ipod that has Wi-Fi.....^&*#%!

Will it work, when you have a strong enough signal and not too many folks sharing the line with you, you should be alright. Will it work on demand during the day - not likely [:(]

If you want a trial run, take your laptop to Starbucks or your other local coffee haunt with WiFi......see how things perform when there are several others sharing the connection.

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We use Skype. If you have a camera on your computer you can have a video call. It is free for video and voice calls and the clarity is quite good. Talk to all the kids all the time. Obviously, you can only talk to those who are registered on Skype, but like I said it is FREE!

4. NHDalton

NHDalton I camp, therefore I am

Nascar Fan, I am figuring it is not going to work because as Dupreet pointed out, the bandwith is not that great. I'd like to hear from Vonage people on their experiences. Like you said, with Skype you can only call other Skype people.

Vonage people?

5. gijoecam

gijoecam New Member

Unless something's changed, with Vonage, you would still need a direct connection to the modem, either through a router or a hot-spot. I wasn't aware that Vonage had a phone adapter that would connect wirelessly.

I've also been told that you could connect the Vonage adapter to the network port or PCMCIA network card on a laptop and use the laptop as a 'hub' of sorts, sharing its connection with the phone adapter, but I've never personally tried it.

The phone adapter doesn't need much band-width, especially set to its lowest quality settings, but it does need a continuous signal upstream and downstream, and it doesn't like much packet loss, so the signal's got to be clean.

Skype only works for free with other Skype users. Skype-to-land line calls still cost.

6. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

This may be a little off topic, but did anyone ever use an air card with their lap top. When we were camping last, the neighbor had one and we had really fast internet. Even though, we were taking advantage of her data downloads.

7. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

from a technical perspective, I would say no it probably will not work as
    1. the Vonage phone adapter needs to be plugged into the modem/router.
    2. bandwidth is usually pretty low and shared at the campgrounds

8. mgwerks

mgwerks New Member

That's all I use for internet access - can't get cable or DSL where we live, and satellite is too high for the bandwidth delivered. There have been a few places camping where it was unusable, but that was a signal issue. Phone didn't work either. It works almost everywhere, though, and you aren't tied to someone elses's connection.

If you go this route, look at the Novatel U727 (for sprint, Verizon and others) Not only is it a great USB-based aircard, but it has a slot for an on-board MicroSD card, adn it functions as a GPS antennna for Streets & Trips or other mapping software. About the same price as other single-function adapters. it also carries the required firmware onboard, so you can pop it in to any USB port on any laptop and go online - no CD required.

The Swiss Army kinfe of broadband wireless.

9. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

I've been looking into this:

http://www.wifiinmotion.com/

As communication increases and more conmpanies see there is a "moving on the road" customer base there, there will be more compitition and prices will drop, as well as new technologies that will improve reception. We would like to have FAST access so when we are on the raod more than thrity days we can access bank accounts and pay bills on line, which will allow us to be camping any time and as long as we want.

JJ