a rear awning

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Teachinartde, May 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Teachinartde

Teachinartde New Member

We have a brandy new Jayco 12ud with a GIANT window across the back of our pup. I love the view, but after our maiden voyage at the Indian River Inlet here in DE, we would have benefited greatly from some sun protection across the back of the pup.

Has anyone added a rear awning? We don't have a side out, so the back of the camper technically could have the same awning as the front.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

There are several examples of people making a backside or roadside awning here on the portal (and on google)..

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Teachinartde

Teachinartde New Member

I found a bunch now that I am calling them backside or street side awnings.

5. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

kcsa75 and Teachinartde like this.
  6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

If you ever make it to ELKMONT camp in the Smoky Mtns you will see alot of campers there put up large tarps over their POPUPs and Tents. The tree cover is so thick in there when it rains they drip water for days on end. Kinda like a rain forest haha...

I had a 30-foot tarp with hole cut out in the middle to go around my roof mounted Air Conditioner and Fantastic vent fan. Then I tied off at an angle on the back side and ran it out over the front side awning. Covered a very large area around my POPUP trailer...

High wind storm finally got it haha....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Teachinartde and eoleson1 like this.
  8. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I've thought about doing just that - install a large tarp over the entire camper to provide shade. Hadn't thought about additional protection from the rain. Sorry to hear the wind got it. When it came down, did it damage the camper at all? Did you have poles at all four corners or did you just tie it down?

Teachinartde likes this.
  9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

30-feet is not a whole lot of coverage space haha... I went straight to the ground at a 45 degree angle off the back side. Made kinda a good spot to stack fire wood...

On the front side i tied it off even with the front of the awning. Then i used the 1/2-inch web ratchet straps down to some screw into the ground anchors eyelets... Something like this photo but my whole popup including tent bed ends was under the 30-foot tarp... I got some pictures somewhere around here of it...

[​IMG]
    google image

I started using the web straps back in my tent camping days.. If you haven't tried those please do. It really makes it easy to put up and take down. I can remember in old days the only way to take it down was cut the ropes everywhere... Now i use the long 1/2-inch web straps and all you do to take down is pop the ratchet open... Also i use the screw into the ground anchors. they leave no marks in the ground and are very strong anchors...

[​IMG]

I even added round hooks in the four corners of my popup roof areas for some of these anchors. My popup has serious front to back movement when opened up and after I got my good TV set knocked off the cabinet top I started adding some web straps to the ground - solved that problem big time. I used to be able to stand in the door way and push out 6-8 inches on the roof side to side...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

eoleson1 likes this.
  10. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

Under the Favorite Mods, I've bumped up "our backside awning mod". You'll enjoy that.

11. weaselguys

weaselguys Member

Attached Files: