A sad introduction.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by sethhershey, Apr 24, 2015.

1. jluster

jluster New Member

I am so sorry about your loss. I live in Cincinnati and worry about my pup's security as well. How was it secured? I just bought a Reese tongue lock and hope it deters the thieves.

2. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Member

I am so sorry for losing your pup. It would break my heart if ours was stolen. You make a lot of memories and have wonderful family time in it. I suggest looking at some of the older pups available on Craigslist also. We bought a 91 Coleman Chesapeake for $1500 that is a very basic camper weighing (per the scale) 2400 pounds fully loaded ready to roll down the highway. We tow with a Ford Windstar that we made a few modifications to make it a better tow vehicle. We added a transmission cooler and replaced the regular rear shocks with coil over shocks. The coil over shocks made a huge difference with how the van rides when towing. I highly recommend watching Craigslist often for a pup and don't rule out the older pups. Ours is over 20 years old, but was hardly ever used and the canvas was in perfect shape. Good luck finding a new to you pup that meets your family's needs and stays within budget. There are a lot of great finds out there if you have the time and patience to watch for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AZJim1

AZJim1 Member

sorry that the bad guys got your popup. thieves suck!

our old popup was stolen also...it was recovered about six months later, it had been used by some meth head to make meth and live in. the ranger that found it told us that "you don't want that camper or anything that's in it" we took his word for it! Hopefully your story will turn out better!

We had some insurance money and decided to use the theft as an excuse to upgrade...a little newer, a few more features, etc. and are still happy we did.

as for security, we were told that a lock through the coupler latch is at best a small annoyance to a thief, they just lower the coupler on top of the ball and drive carefully until the are a few blocks away then stop and cut it off.

we use a coupler lock that blocks the hole in the coupler as well as a lock through the latch and a Big masterlock python cable lock through one of the wheels and leaf spring or frame. sometimes we also lock the other wheel as well. we also now keep ours stored behind a locked gate in our side yard. when camping we worry about it getting stolen less but still use the locks.

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

a master lock will deter a real thief about half a second. They are very easy to break using a pipe wrench ( we use to get locked out of our parts trailer at work a lot ). Also you can slip the tongue over a smaller ball a tow it for always till you can cut the lock. Some people 2 blocks away had their pop up stolen from beside their house and I have been worried about mine since it's right up front in plain view. So I jacked it up and removed the tires till I can think of a better solution.i like AzJims1s cable through the rim, I have to get one. Hope you get your trailer back soon and undamaged.

5. Valmr2

Valmr2 New Member

I'm sorry your PUP got stolen. I agree with checking Craigslist for it and for parts as well. would be a good idea to check in other cities and nearby states. we are fortunate to be able to squeeze ours in the back of the garage when at home but I have had concerns about how it will be when we are camping. This will be the first year we have had out NTU PUP.

6. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

That's awful! I've wondered about the safety of ours lately. I hope that it shows up. Will be thinking of you and saying a prayer for resolution.

7. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Is there anything in your Jayco that would make it easily identifiable as yours? There are quite a few out there on Craigslist.

8. sethhershey

sethhershey New Member

I've been looking a lot (too much). I repainted the wheels black when I replaced the tires with some nice new Carlisle rubber last year. There's a crack in the body on the right hand side over the tongue that has duct tape residue remains and the exterior "porch light" cover is broken.

9. 98Roamer

98Roamer Member

Welcome from another Cincinnati camper. I sorry for your lose. I'm in Loveland and will keep an eye out, thanks for the description.

If you want light, VERY basic tent trailer: http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Heres a thread about Pup security at home. There are lots of quick things you can to try and keep it safe, again though, if they want it, they'll get it.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=66645.msg607594#msg607594

I'm always changing how I do things here at home. Scour the internet and get ideas of how the bad guys work and what they do, then you know how to make things tougher for them. Its all about slowing them down, or making them think it's too much work to get yours, so they head off to the next one down the the street. "You gotta think like a thief to try and out smart a thief".

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I buy a lot of stuff off a site called Kijiji. Similar to GraigsList, but much more stuff (I think). Anyway, I can't seem to find a Kijiji site that works in Ohio. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you were willing to drive to the Windsor area, across from Detroit, you could take advantage of the strong USA dollar, and take something home from Ontario.

Heres todays link for the Windsor area...

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-rv-camper-trailer/windsor-area-on/c172l1700220

12. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

How on earth did you find it again?

13. hiker74

hiker74 Member

We have a Quicksilver 10.0. Its really light and has two real queen sized beds. It is minimalist, but has a lot of room. You can find used ones out there