A Social Media Rant

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by generok, Aug 5, 2020.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge social media consumer, but like many in my age bracket, I do frequent Facebook only to keep in touch with family and friends as well as track special interests. I'm on a couple of groups that deal with RV travel in Alaska. I've noticed a trend that is just frustrating me.

Many folks ask for member's opinions or personal experiences with a specific CG or location. They may ask "has anyone stayed in XXX CG and was the bathroom clean?" That's cool, I really like those kinds of questions and will share my experience and opinions if I can.

Then there's another class of questions which I struggle with. They normally go like this: "Coming to Alaska July 7 - 15, renting RV. What should we see? What campgrounds are near Denali NP? What's there to do in Fairbanks?..." I term these "Who wants to be my travel agent for free" questions. The way I look at it, if I'm going to get the answer from Google, why don't they get the answer from Google themselves?

I know the answer really is to keep scrolling, and I do for the most part. I like those groups because many times I find some unique little place I never thought to go. I occasionally will simply post a link to Alaska.org which is our official travel site. I just can't picture myself asking such a broad question like "I'm going to Hawaii for a week, what should I do?" I just wonder how you arrive at the decision to rent an RV in a place you've never been to without doing some basic research as to what there is to do and see. It feels like they're asking for a personal Google operator... may I suggest an Amazon Echo, and ask "Alexa, what campgrounds are near Denali NP?"

The thing is, there ARE people who answer them, in detail, with itineraries, stops, points of interest, etc. It's really amazing. Mostly, the responses are folks who visited Alaska once or twice and simply give them the itinerary they used, but still.

Ok, my rant is over.

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I’m with you. Who knows what a person’s interests are when they ask such open ended questions?

HappyTraveler and generok like this.
  3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

It is the aged old "what size tire fits my Jeep" question. Go to tires plus and pay the man.

#Rant Approved

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

more like the person who buys a Pop Up knowing not so much about them, and posts a question with far too little useful info (and none at all in the tile). It does allow folks with spare time to provide free useful answers, so there is no great harm in it, though at first glance the posters seem entitled and lazy.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I also see it. I find it interesting that folks can find the FB page, say for Grand Canyon hiking, but don't find the huge information collection on the NPS website, which includes the latest closures, maps, regs, etc.

kcsa75 and generok like this.
  6. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

I don't use social media.... not on FB, Instagram, etc. But.... that being said I'm always happy to recommend things to do to other members here on the portal when they are coming to my area. I do my best to give both 'touristy' and 'non touristy' (along with links to websites when possible) things to do and let them decide what they want to do while here. I guess I look at it as if it were me, I would also love suggestions on what to do in an area I'm not familiar with.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

The problem is they don't look. It's easier to go to FB and ask the same question that's been asked 10,000 times before.

neighbormike and generok like this.
  8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Your using social media right now.

Ductape likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Anyone know any good places to see visit in Alaska? :p

J Starsky, Orchid, 1380ken and 4 others like this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

Chena Hot Springs, to watch the Aurora, in late September. 4.5/5 stars in my book.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

I wonder the same thing. Why do you want to go there if you have no idea of what is there to do or see? I'm going to upstate New York for a week starting on Saturday, but I have the 1 place...Niagara falls...that were planning to see. We have friends that live up there but Niagara Falls is the reason for the trip.

I'm also not on social media, except for here, but I dont really consider this anything like the normal social media outlets.

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I think that I fall into this category. I won't comment or give advice on an area I have no experience in, but not everyone follows this logic. Case in point: a new member posted on this site several days ago from Idaho and in my response to their introductions, I gave detailed advice on the areas of interest to my family when we lived in that town for 11+ years. The poster was appreciative for that information and I felt satisfied that I could share first-hand knowledge with someone who had similar interests. To me, its all a matter of perspective.

I also feel that I fall into this category, too! My wife and I spent 2 weeks in a rented motorhome and toured Scotland and England for our 20th anniversary. Neither of us had been there before and we had 3 scheduled stops that were bucket-list material. EVERYTHING ELSE was completely shooting from the hip. We had no idea where we were going or what we wanted to see. If something looked appealing from the road we happened to be on, we'd investigate. Some people need an absolute itinerary while others have zero issue in letting the wind guide their sails. To me, that's half the fun of a road trip. Sure, I like visiting popular places, but exploring has turned up some absolutely fascinating experiences that I could have never planned.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Indiobravo, Ductape and kcsa75 like this.
  13. Ductape

Crud ! Now I need to stop coming on the portal. [:(]

gladecreekwy likes this.
  14. Ductape

Thanks for making my iced tea go up my nose...… [LOL]

15. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Make sure you see X Mountain, Y Glacier, and Z Wildlife. Trip complete. ;)

kcsa75, Sjm9911 and Steveo4090 like this.
  16. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

See it ALL the time ALL over the place.
    When I was teaching, I'd have students ask how to do a problem from the homework.
    I'd ask what they had done and how far did they get. Their answer was they hadn't done anything.
    I'd tell them to try the problem and if they still got stuck, then ask me again with more specific questions.
    I also do genealogy. Hate to tell you how many messages I get saying "Hey! I see you're a DNA match to me. How are we related?"
    I just reply, "I don't know."
    Snarky, I know, but I don't care.
    Yeah, laziness, the root of all evil.

17. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

This exactly!

18. Anthony Hitchings

lets use “the lens of Judith” (named after my wife) on this situation: each lazy post gives one or more portal members a chance to help another human. That is a good thing.

19. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, most of those good samaritans on FB have no clue what they're talking about.

neighbormike likes this.
  20. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My cousin and family fall into that category but for a different reason. His father was adopted and his mother's father was adopted. So the dna is the only chance of finding a connection. He can't say "we're related, your father is my father's second cousin" - he can just guess that you are related to his father's side because you don't share any matches with his known cousins or his half brother (therefore not related on his mother's side). I did tell him to include as much info as he can with as many names as possible hoping the other person will recognize one, but it's really a shot in the dark.

HappyTraveler likes this.