About these CRACKS in my filon roof...

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by MIlover, Aug 21, 2014.

1. MIlover

MIlover Member

It's warm and overcast outside today, so I figured it was a good time to wash the pup and put on a coat of wax. As I was standing on the ladder and wiping a section, I noticed fine, hairline cracks. As I looked down the side of the pup's roof, I found a few more. All were in a section, close to the edge of the roof track. I can catch my fingernail on them, so they are indeed breaks in the surface, and not just light scratches. I suspect they just happened, because I heard a slight crinkling (for lack of a better description) sound while wiping the wax, and I never noticed them before. Before I get all worked up over nothing I wanted to inquire on the Portal.

1) Are these cracks in the fiberglass normal/superficial? Perhaps just a crack in the outer coating? Can I just put some sort of seal over them and call it good? FWIW, I just picked up a tube of RV Goop yesterday.
    2) Our pup has always been garage kept. The roof is/was in excellent condition and there is no AC. The tracks have never been used either.
    3) No one has walked on the pup roof, and while I put a little elbow grease into rubbing some spots, I'm not a large person!

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Nlittle

Nlittle New Member

I don't have an answer but wanted to take note as that seems like the kind of roof I have and would like to know should it happen to me. Good luck!

3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

They do look like stress cracks, but probably surface coating only. Keep and eye on them, but I wouldn't worry yet. You could coat the roof with Line-X or Rhino Liner or one of the other products, but the cracks don't look bad enough (in the picture) to warrant drilling and filling and re-painting.
    That's my [2C] [:D]

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

That looks like more FRP (Fiberglass Reinforced Panel) than Filon to me.

Normal? That looks like something hit it, a tree branch perhaps? I'm not assuming it cracked of it's own accord so yes, I'd say that's normal.

How can you fix those little cracks? Your RV Goop would be the cheapest, easiest solution and it should be thin enough to work in but make sure to press hard as you work it into the cracks with your finger, then wipe off any excess with a rag. You may still notice the cracks but at least they won't leak.

While the FRP used on your roof is likely UV resistant, it's plastic so it will only become more brittle with age. In the long term, if cracks continue to appear, you might want to consider a roll on roof coating such as EPDM, CoolSeal or even bed liner. At $30 a gallon, CoolSeal will be about the cheapest solution and it's quite popular around the portal.

5. MIlover

MIlover Member

I should hope not. I know drilling the ends is part of the fix for larger cracks; I would be doing a lot of drilling on these! I would feel better though, if I could coat them in something - just to make sure no water is getting in.

Dubbya, I'm pretty sure it is filon? To my knowledge, Fleetwood went from alumnium to filon roofs, and didn't use any of the FRP you mentioned. I think I'll take your advice and put my Goop to good use. If the cracks continue to appear, I'll look into the other options.

Thanks!

6. EV2

EV2 Member

I would pickup a spray can of Rustoleum Clear Coat for plastic. Remove the wax as best you can and then put a couple of light coats over the area to seal and also provide superior UV protection for the area. They are so small and fine that it should be completely sealed and mostly not visible as a repair.

7. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I am going to fix mine (they arent that bad) with some 3m 5200. Sand them a little bit, wipe off with acetone and then put the 5200 on real thin. It is only where the curvature is in the back panel area. Next spring I think I will do the kool seal on the whole roof after I fix the sag which is my next project. Dont ya just love campers??? Always a work in progress.

8. MIlover

MIlover Member

[LOL] and [:(O]. Yes, always a work in progress! Though I have to say, we bought our first pup in 2012, fixed up what was neglected by the PO while learning the basics of pup ownership (thanks to the Portal), took a few fun trips, then discovered floor rot we didn't want to deal with and sold it late last summer. Our current pup was purchased late last fall; we had to have the axle (lost its camber) fixed, leaf springs recurved, and new tires installed. Then we had a baby in the spring so just recently got around to pulling the pup out of the garage to spruce her up the way we want and dewinterize (yeah, in late August) since we are taking our first camping trip this holiday weekend.

So...I'm ready to have a decent pup for a while, and not be on such a fix/improve binge. Annual maintenance is one thing, fixing PO neglect (even minor stuff) is another. After two years, I think we're almost there. Finally. :)

9. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I fixed my small hairline cracks, largest about 1 1/2" long with the 3m 5200 last night. Used some 200 grit to scuff it up a bit then some acetone to clean it off and applied the 5200. Never used the stuff before but , WOW the stuff is great! It is white and goes on smooth. I just barely dabbed it on and smoothed it down with a latex glove on and it looks great. I wish the rest of my roof was this white. Mine has yellowed a bit over the years. the stuff is REAL gooey and for cracks you just need a touch of it right out of the tube.

10. MIlover

MIlover Member

Good to know. I patched mine up with the Amazing Goop RV, sanded lightly, then sprayed Rustoleum gloss clear coat with UV protectant over it. It looks pretty good. The Goop was, well, goopy. It had the consistency of rubber cement so it wasn't the smoothest after spreading over the cracks. I was a bit disappointed that the Rustoleum wasn't as glossy as the rest of the pup's fiberglass, so those areas have more of a matte sheen, which is the most obvious part of the repair. Not a big deal though. Just hope that is the last of the cracks for a while.

11. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

this is what the 3m looks like when done [​IMG]

12. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

We've never seen any hairline cracks in our Filon roof. Could it be you put heavy things on the camper top over the winter?