About to Break In PUP With 22mo TWIN Girls and a 6yo Boy

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by mkulikow, Jun 28, 2011.

1. mkulikow

mkulikow New Member

Oh boy, a little nervous to say the least :)

We have a Coleman Cedar, and sleeping plans will be the girls on the dinette with a bed rail, with me on that bunk. DW and the boy on the other bunk.

We will only be ~20mins from home, at a campground where the grandparents have a park model, just in case.

Wish us luck!!!

2. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Oh, WHAT FUN! [:D] Have a wonderful time. Be sure and tell us about your memories made, and post some great pics!

3. mkulikow

mkulikow New Member

I will!!! We will also have a Eureka screen room and a 10' ez-up so between those and the awning we should have some places if the weather gets foul...

Plus tons of outdoor toys and games, I am almost as concerned with sleeping as I am with eating, but if any of you saw my checklist for what to bring you would chuckle. Not too many people need to remember sippy cups and swimmies :)

4. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Good luck and enjoy! At least the twins have a built in playmate! (I'm a twin so I know . . . )

5. ddrueckh

ddrueckh New Member

We have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. Both started camping with us when they were about 6 months old. Never had any problems. They love it. You will have a great time!

6. Idahawk

Idahawk " Esta Perpetua "

Our 8 yr old , 6 yr old and 3 yr old wake up and all crawl into our bunk in the morning and all 5 of us lay there listening to the birds and talking , it's my favorite thing about our trips .

7. mkulikow

mkulikow New Member

So, the trip went off without a hitch...

My sister was up from DC and my parents also came for a visit. The girls slept through the night from about 8pm to about 6am. One morning we had severe thrunderstorms and got ~3" of rain in a few hours, then another night got another 2" in 2 hours. In the morning with the storm right overhead the girls went "weeeeee" every time the thunder sounded, it was quite cute.

There are a few things we are going to change in terms of food, clothes, coolers etc but no major mistakes.

The one SPUT was forgetting to charge the digital camera battery so I don't have any good pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. mhc77

mhc77 New Member

oh look at those sweet angel faces! nice lookin fam!

we camp with our just-turned-2 year old and our 3.5 year old and they love it!

a couple of things that i learned....we bring straw cups instead of sippies and use regular straws...easier to clean and can just throw out straws (we still bring sippies b/c they like water for sleeping with).

kids SLEEP after a day outdoors!

we always bring extra clothes for the kiddos b/c they get SO dirty so fast that i can't even let them nap in their morning clothes sometimes!

fun times!
    mercedes

9. Trackside

Trackside New Member

Glad to hear it went well. The wife and I took our 6 and 2 year old boys out for our first trip last weekend and thankfully our trip went like yours short of the rain. Looking at your pics though I should have taken one of them sleeping in the front bunk cause you caught a fun family pic.

10. steversssss

steversssss New Member

glad ya had fun...weeeeeeeeeeeeee

11. Dunkles

Dunkles Member

I have almost 4 year old twins - they love camping! Great job on starting yours early. Ours are big enough and our pup is small so DH and DS are in one bunkend, and DD and me in the other.

12. cyphan

cyphan New Member

What a sweet photo!!! How fun!

Heading out tomorrow with our NTU PUP and our 5 1/2 year and 23 month old daughters. I hope mine sleep that well!

I love their little pillows! My 23-month old thinks it's playtime if someone lays down with her (goes to sleep fine on her own) so I'm hoping she'll settle okay. We'll have to just run her hard outside all day, LOL!

13. papachaz

papachaz New Member

great pics, thanks for sharing! beautiful family, you'll make lots of great memories for those kids to remember!

14. postnetnc133

postnetnc133 Member

We have 2 girls that are 4 and 2 and havent been camping yet. Getting our PUP ready. Just about there for our first trip with our first pup.

How long was your camping trip? With kids this young do you all go for a weekend, long weekend or able to do a full week?

15. rrue

rrue I can fix anything with duct tape and WD40.

We have a six year old son and twin girls now 3&1/2. Our first PUP was a 1995 Rockwood, forget the model number but it was small enough that with the dinette down you had to climb over our son to get to the bed on that end. Queen beds and the twins are all knees and elbows when they sleep.

The twins were still sleeping in cribs at home so we used to take along a "square dome" tent that had 6' for head room, it was big enough for two pack&play cribs and a twin air mattress too. We'd take turns sleeping with them. After a few nights out, however, we found they wouldn't sleep well with either of us in there with them. Every time I'd roll over they'd want to party. A few times we had good luck with them sleeping in the tent right next to the camper but then we didn't sleep much. Even with them three feet away (through two layers of cloth), we spent the night taking turns checking on them.

Last season we were out and it was a particularly chilly weekend (WA state can have chilly nights any time of the year). We had them layered in those cribs like we were composting them, buried under their comforters and every blanket/towel/sweatshirt we could find. They were plenty warm but we ended up checking on them even more. The next night we brought them into the camper and nobody got any sleep but at least we were all warm and in one place.

So we bought a bigger pup, a 99 Coleman Utah. Son goes on the slide-out bench, we each take a king bed on the end with a twin with us between them and the drop (if they're in the same bed they'll never go to sleep). The dinette stays up unless we're camping with another family and our son has a buddy over.

16. cyphan

cyphan New Member

rrue-"layered in those cribs like we were composting them" [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

I can picture that!

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Thank God.