ABS Cement for cracks

avwilliams84

Nov 5, 2017
Has anyone used ABS cement from the box store plumbing section to repair cracks? The ingredients list MEK, ABS resin and acetone. so it sounds like just an ABS slurry. I know it's black but I'm not to worried about that as I will eventually paint it and this stuff is readily available. any input would be greatly appreciated. picture below of the stuff I'm talking abou . 20200620_152850.jpg

Toxictom

Aug 18, 2016
I tried an experiment on my storage lid that was pretty busted up from people stepping or kneeling on it. On some cracks I used ABS cement like is shown, on some I used a plastic epoxy and on some I used a soldering iron. The ABS repaired cracks and the areas where I used the epoxy seem to be holding up, a couple cracks that were heat welded have separated.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
The thing i liked about the abs slurry is tou could make it thicker or thinner as needed. Does that equate to stronger? Who knows. I think if its the roof , you would be better off ripping the abs off and using grizzly grip. If you need to fix the feont or rear panels, go for the slurry.

tombiasi

Super Active Member
Sep 1, 2012
Northwestern New Jersey
I tried an experiment on my storage lid that was pretty busted up from people stepping or kneeling on it. On some cracks I used ABS cement like is shown, on some I used a plastic epoxy and on some I used a soldering iron. The ABS repaired cracks and the areas where I used the epoxy seem to be holding up, a couple cracks that were heat welded have separated.
Its basically a MEK acetone mixture with ABS resin.