ABS Roof is failing

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Kemak, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Kemak

Kemak New Member

I found a pop up camper posting on Craigslist which recently dropped to $1,200 and they added this sentence to their posting:
    "The ABS roof is failing which is common for this model. However it is more of an aesthetic issue and it is not leaking."

The interior is remodeled and we really like most everything else about the camper. Do you think this ABS roof issue is worth the $? I don't mind putting in the work if it's something I would be able to fix myself.

Attached Files:

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

The work you may eventually be putting in is building a new lid (roof) for the camper.

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hard to tell from the picture. The roof can be strip and painted with bedliner. I can't tell if the roof has a sag to it or not. Some remove all the abs, and then paint the core woth the bedliner. Is it close? Take a ride over and check it out. Look for rot underneath etc. Especially in the front box area. It looks like the and box in the front was sealed in the front. Where it meats the aluminum . With a older pup , and a cheaper price come some maintaine issues.

4. Kemak

Kemak New Member

I was assuming for the front box area I can just get on the ground and look up at it right?? Do you know how I could inspect for rot under the roof?

5. Sjm9911

If it's abs , there is no wood in the roof. Make sure it has a support for the roof. Some didn't have them. Others were retro fitted. Yes look under the whole pop up. Look for rot or swelling. Also look on the inside of the box. Push your finger into the fake wood to see if it's soft. Lol.

Kemak likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Watch this.

jnc and Kemak like this.
  7. Sjm9911

Read thishttp://www.popupportal.com/threads/coleman-westlake-2000-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.118498/
    Shameless self promotion, but i took step by step stuff when checking out my pop up, so you know what your getting into, and my roof wasn't that bad. Make sure if you buy it to have a clean title , and know what you need to register it in your state. Before that make sure you can tow it, have the correct hitch and hook ups. Break controller etc. What year is it? Model?

8. Sjm9911

And last bit of advice, when buying off Craigslist , always use Google image search to check out the image. If it appears in other ads with diffrent prices or areas , it's a scam.

9. Kemak

Kemak New Member

Thank you very much for your help by the way. You are making me feel a lot more comfortable about the whole process.

It's a 2000 Coleman Cheyenne. It's in town so I asked the sellers if I could come see it and I will take plenty of pics when I do. Recently bought a 2015 F-150 with all the tow extras so I'm good there at least. I'm about to read your shameless self promotion lol so I can wrap my head around everything and know what to look for if/when the sellers respond.

Also that is a pro tip about using google image search! Some of the postings I see on Craigslist are so suspect and I was just assuming they were scams and moving on.

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Lol, me , I was in a hurry to get it on the road. Had too many other problums to fix and work out. I need like 24 more hours in a day!

bols2Dawall likes this.
  12. RealDProperty

RealDProperty New Member

I re-did mine.... I had it sprayed with Ultimate Liner. Better than new!!!
    I've actually considered searching these models out to buy the bad ones, fix them and re-sell them. It's not a hard fix and having it sprayed versus rolling it yourself turns out so much better.

Attached Files:

Kemak likes this.
  13. PUPLizCA

PUPLizCA New Member

Did you take off the ABS layer or have it sprayed over it. Mine is delaminating so I am trying to figure out what to do. Also did your roof sag? Did you need supports?