ABS Roof Replacement

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Glamping_Gracefully, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Glamping_Gracefully

Glamping_Gracefully New Member

We are starting our roof replacement project on our 1998 Coleman Fleetwood Bayside. We purchased this pop up camper about ten months ago and were aware of the ABS issues prior to the purchase. The camper is in immaculate condition otherwise, so we rolled the dice. Our plan is to completely remove the ABS outer out shell, scuff the foam inner core, and paint it with truck liner. We will post pics throughout the project. If any of you have experience or opinions, we would GREATLY appreciate any insights! Thanks!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Forum member Bultacobill did a superior ABS roof restoration - start with Post #284.

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/coleman-abs-roof.52797/page-15#post-1318588

Glamping_Gracefully likes this.
  3. Glamping_Gracefully

Thanks! Here are the "before" pics...

IMG_5704.jpg IMG_5705.jpg IMG_5706.jpg IMG_5707.jpg IMG_5708.jpg

4. Glamping_Gracefully

Day 1:
    I took the bike rack off (much easier than I expected) - removed everything except the triangle white pieces that bolt the racks to the camper. Removed the conditioner connections, which was also surprisingly easy - just remove the plastic cover on the inside of the popup, detach the snap-in electrical connection, remove some double-sided tape, and unscrew the four long bolts that go through to the outside unit. I left the outside unit in place until I can get someone to help me pull it off. I removed the black seal that goes around the bottom of the roof and started to peel some of the ABS off just to see how bad it was - pretty bad as it was WAY to easy to pull away from the inner core. All in all, I spent two hours by myself on Day 1 and really didn't come across any challenges.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. justwork

justwork Active Member

I took all the trim off my roof, albeit not ABS, cleaned it well and took it to LineX. LineX sprayed Bedliner on the roof 1/8th thick. The bonus was you can pick any colour you want. I picked a yellow from the Toyota Tacoma line, this was a slightly dustier yellow compared to the skin on my camper which is what I was going for. I wanted a light colour to help with heat but couldn’t go white with a yellow and black camper. It also has UV protection, guaranteed not to peak or crack. Total cost was under $500 USD

Glamping_Gracefully likes this.
  6. Glamping_Gracefully

Day 2:
    Took the air conditioner off the roof and used a Dremel (with a plastic cutting blade) and box cutter to cut around the bolts for the bike rack and the air conditioner support bracket. Once that was done, we used a heat gun and a pry bar to scrape off the ABS roof. It came off way to easy, which is confirmation that we needed to do the project sooner rather than later. There are a few places where it didn't come off as cleanly as we would have liked, so I applied some bondo and will sand it down tomorrow.

Attached Files:

FARfetched likes this.