ABS vs Alumitite aka Alumileak

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Steph_C, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Steph_C

Steph_C Member

I think you worded the question much better than I ever could! I'm going to see a 1999 Bayside with ABS roof tomorrow. Will be paying attention to the front storage/inside floor. In my mind, completely rebuilding a roof would be much easier than having to empty the body to rebuild the floor. Again, i'm speculating because i'm new and going for a whirlwind ride this weekend looking at trailers!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Be aware that 2003.5 and prior year Bayside models were known as the Swayside. These were especially badly balanced trailers, with too much weight aft of the axle, a problem Fleetwood didn't correct with the Bayside, Mesa, and a few other models until the 2004 model year. The entry door on these campers was aft of the axle, from 2004 onward the entry door was in front of the axle, with more weight biased to the front of the trailer rather than the rear. With any of these pre-2004 models you'll have to be especially careful as to how you load the trailer & front trunk and most likely have to use sway control to prevent this trailer from tossing you all over the road. :eek:

FWIW, this is probably the best ABS roof repair I've ever seen - start with post #284.

https://www.popupportal.com/threads/coleman-abs-roof.52797/page-15#post-1318588

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
  3. Steph_C

Steph_C Member

What would i do without you lol... I was looking specifically for 2004 , plus the actual interior is way nicer. i think I read all of your comments on every post with bayside or alumileak somewhere in the thread! but this is more to give me peace of mind that i'm getting a good deal on the 2004 from yesterday . To make sure I saw more than one trailer before I drop that amount of cash ... To tell DH that yes, I did in fact do my homework

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

GF, thank you for the low down on the pre 2004 Bayside. I’ll pass it along to my BIL That has a 2001 BS. He was not aware of tongue wt concerns and had no clue what his was. His TV a Ram 1500 crew cab short bed (2000 ish?). Does towing with a high tow capacity make ‘too light’ of tongue weight somewhat less ‘swayie’ than say using a smaller lighter TV?. My SIL says he used to drive way fast and she called the towing a bucking bronco. She said he drives slower now. On our last visit to them, I told him about tongue wt. and that there is a gravel yard 5 mins from his house where he can get actual weights! He said, oh, I know a guy that’s works there. Hopefully he gets his trailer weighed, but still he may not care enough, Oye!

5. GreyFox

A 2001 Bayside has a GVWR of 3350 lbs and an unloaded tongue weight of just 155 lbs. With a UVW of 2630 lbs your BIL can bet that even loading carefully his Bayside's GVW loaded & ready to camp would be awfully close (if not over) it's GVWR. [:O] His Bayside's tongue is rated for no more than 350 lbs ... divide that by a GVW of 3350 lbs and he'd be running a gross tongue weight of just 10%! :eek: And that's why this model year of Bayside was called the Swayside - too little tongue weight, higher road speeds, and you can bet that trailer will want to sway. [V]

As far as measuring any trailer's gross tongue weight is concerned you can do that at home using a bathroom scale & weight beam, like this ...

http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/index.html

6. davekro

davekro Active Member

I use the scale to measure my TW. But he seemed confused about that, so especially because he has no idea of weights, capacities, TW %. -AND- has free truck scale friggin 5 mins away, he should do all his weighing there (in less time for him to figure out the bathroom scale for just his TW. ;O)

7. GreyFox

Often a truck scale capable of measuring tens of 1000s of lbs, while fine for weighing overall trailer weight, is not the best choice when trying to measure gross tongue weight which for most popups will be in the 300 lb to 400 lb range. Many bathroom scales top out at 300lb to 350 lbs, ergo the reason to use a beam. ;)

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have a 99 Bayside. I have found that mine sways less with good tires that are properly inflated. I also use a friction sway bar. I started using one with my Palomino, and wouldn’t tow a pup without one. When it is properly tightened, I have no sway at all.

I think the biggest issue is don’t pull a Pre2003 Bayside with fresh water in the tank. It’s behind the axle which is a dumb design.

Spridle likes this.
  9. GreyFox

I think you mean "pre 2004" as the Bayside's floorplan wasn't changed until the 2004 model year, the 2003.5 was the same as previous years.

10. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

True enough!

11. SlinginIron

SlinginIron Member

I have photos of the tear down of an alumatite roof for rebuild under "2005 Fleetwood Utah?" In the new campers section. Page three. I have not yet posted the rebuild pictures but, it is finished now. I'm not sure how to move my crank rebuild, roof rebuild, and bunk end rebuild to the appropriate sections. I can say that the Utah and Bayside are big roofs. The job wentai expected except for the scraping off of old material. Also available information on rebuilds of these bigger tops is pretty limited so I felt like I was on my own for a majority of it. As others have stated, do plan on removing and flipping over the roof to rebuild it. Not a particularly difficult project, lots of room for "improvements" Over factory materials. It just took much longer than I expected it would for the tear down. Reassembly was pretty straight forward but, it took a number of days waiting for glue to dry. I did reattach everything and then applied grizzly grip to the exterior. The water damage on my roof was a lack of factory sealant on one of the rack rails from the factory.

Steph_C likes this.
  12. davekro

davekro Active Member

Can you post a link to your roof rebuild thread? I searched '2005 Fleetwood Utah' and did not see a thread by you. I don't know what 'new camper section' means.
    Thanks

Steph_C likes this.
  13. Steph_C

Steph_C Member

Thanks!! I have a local small business (RV technician) coming to check out my roof to determine exactly if it's a rebuild or inside damage. Have to explore this option now that i'm at home with the kids indefinitely, instead of one week. I don't even know if I'll be able to buy materials I need with more shops closing doors daily, plus I simply won't have the time to get that done before our first camping weekend. *IF* we can still camp. One day at a time here in southern ontario- stay healthy and wash your hands everyone!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    FARfetched likes this.
  14. GreyFox

davekro and Steph_C like this.
  15. davekro

davekro Active Member

16. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario