AC Awning...

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Hacksaw, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Now this may seem odd but have any of you fine folks tried an awning over your AC unit to provide it shade? think of it like a beach umbrella for your AC. Easily fabbed out of pvc and covered with a small tarp.Thoughts?

2. ddrueckh

ddrueckh New Member

I think the plastic shroud already acts like an awning. Not sure if an extra awning would help or not. Also, there is a lot of air flow through it while it is working so it should keep itself at ambient temperature. Good idea, though. Who knows...t may help some.

3. mgeiger

mgeiger New Member

I'd be concerned about restricting air flow/trapping heat.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Hmmmm, IMHO this is a desperate attempt to do ANYTHING to have an excuse to spend time with your pup. [LOL]

You're clearly suffering from separation anxiety and I would highly recommend you check out the towel hanger mod thread. It's something new that you may not have done yet. This will give you a reason to spend some quality time with your pup without embarrassing your AC with an umbrella. [;)]

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I wasn't really thinking umbrella... more like a small ez up that goes over the AC unit. And yes the shroud probably does act as somewhat of an awning it's primary purpose is protection. Light(heat) still penetrates it quite easily. More to the point I wasn't thinking of a rooftop AC I was thinking more of the window AC type mods.But you are correct I am going through withdrawals it's too damn hot to do anything in the PUP !!!

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

[LOL] This makes much more sense. I was picturing a rooftop AC with a miniature patio umbrella sticking out of it.

I agree about the heat! It's costing me money because I'm sitting in my air conditioned house ordering stuff online for my pup. [:D]

7. papachaz

papachaz New Member

kind of like your favorite froo froo drink orchid? [LOL]

8. TACOMA03

TACOMA03 New Member

Mine is an older pup with a window a/c in the wall under ther bunk....so that works as an awning.....

9. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

Wouldnt do anything except look funny. [;)]