AC keep a PUP cool?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by driven308, Mar 28, 2011.

1. driven308

driven308 New Member

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are thinking about buying our first PUP soon. We have 2 small kids, and it would be an affordable way to get some camping done this summer. My concern is the ability of the AC to keep the camper cool in the summer. I live in central TX so it gets hot and the humidity is always real high.

I know it prob wouldnt stay cold during the heat of the day, but i would hope that it would keep it cool? Let me know what to expect.

I am lookin at a
    1999 Jayco Laurel Heritage
    2004 Rockwood PUP

Thanks
    Brian

2. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Our PUP stays nice and cool when we run the AC. We're in South Carolina and we have three small ankle biters that are used to being indoors in the cool-that was why I wanted a PUP with AC. A lot of people swear by the Pop-Up Gizmos to help insulate from the heat and cold. I haven't purchased any yet.
    Our PUP also has a furnace, and we do camp year-round. We used it the first two years and it worked well too, but was noisy. This year, I bought a small ceramic heater that is much quieter and works just as well. The only thing we noticed was that the furnace kept a much more consistant temperature.

3. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

4. dackley

dackley 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel with popout

The noise is pretty bad on these, i have one paid $ 499.00 why cant you put a roof a/c on, and this type takes up a lot of room, why not a window a/c.

5. LennyO

LennyO New Member

They do quite well in Texas - you won't be disappointed with the roof units.

6. pupateer

pupateer Native Texan

I'm in Houston and have a roof AC unit on my high wall pop up (12ft. box with slide out dinette). It works great! It actually works so good we usually keep it on low...

7. capsfloyd

capsfloyd New Member

we are in Lancaster Tx , [near dallas] . we have a bayside 12' and roof top a/c . Did great last yr. I have not purchased the Gizmos , it was comfortable in the day time and cold at night.

8. driven308

driven308 New Member

Awesome..Thanks everyone for the input! I think we will give it a shot and see how it works out for us.

Brian

9. petefam

petefam Nothing Better Than Family & The Great Outdoors

Here in southern Maryland, summers are hot and humid. A roof top a/c was a must for us when we bought our pup last year. We paid $600 whick included installation. It keeps it very cool inside and at night I find myself turning it off because I'm too cold. The noise doesn't bother us at all. Keeps the noise from outside down. With three small children, this helps at bedtime. They fall right alseep even if someone next to us is a little rowdy.

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Definitely get Gizmos. They make a HUGE difference in two ways: reflect the sun and hold the heat or cold inside.

11. driven308

driven308 New Member

Thanks again. I will look into the Gizmos

12. dgeddes

dgeddes Member

You're gonna need A/C in Texas. [:D] And yes it is good for white noise as well, helps the kids konk out.

13. paisan

paisan New Member

That is so true! We did not think of the outside noise at bed time when we got our camper but the ac helps with that. Nice for the kids and also keeps my GSD from barking at everthing walking by that she can't see.

14. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

I'll second that, they make a tremendous difference.