AC kicked out

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by bduck40, Jun 21, 2019.

1. bduck40

bduck40 Member

Just set up camp this evening. Turn AC on and working fine. Wife plugged hair dryer into same outlet as AC and breaker blew. Thought ok, just reset breaker and everything will be ok. Did that but still no power to the outlet. Any suggestions? Is breaker bad.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Did the breaker at the post trip also and you are running lights on the battery and haven't realized it?

3. Blackripley

Blackripley Active Member

Is the outlet a GFI or is it on a GFI chain check the other outlets? Do you have power in the other 120v outlets? If not check the main breaker.

4. bduck40

bduck40 Member

Outlet is not GFI. Other outlet are GFI and are working.

5. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Strange. I have two circuits. One 20amp outlet that the AC plugs into and 1 15 amp circuit that power three other outlets. Is the breaker switch staying in the on position? It could be that the breaker needs to be flipped all the way off then flipped back on. If that doesn't fix it then my guess is the breaker is bad.

Orchid likes this.
  6. bduck40

bduck40 Member

Yes mine is the same way on breaker that is 15 which 2 plug in and fridge is on, the othe a 20 that the Ac plugs into. It tripped when it went out, tried to reset many times but still nothing. Breaker does act loose some as if it does not reset. So don’t know if it has always been like that or something new

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Same as mine. It would be impossible to plug anything into the same outlet with the a/c.

@bduck40 , are we talking about a roof mount a/c or a portable unit? Really just curious because of the way you described the plug as being a double. Also, I use my blow dryer every day of every trip, for a long time, with the a/c going full blast and never had anything blow. The only combination that doesn't work out in our camper is the toaster oven and microwave at the same time. That throws the breaker every time.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Haha a blow dryer is something we've never brought camping, even when we do have shore power (which isn't typical).

Blackripley likes this.
  9. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Did you flip the breaker off before resetting?

bheff and theseus like this.
  10. Orchid

It's mandatory for me, wherever I go. My hair will frizz if left to it's own devices. I wish my hair knew I was camping and would cut me a break.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We turn into the mountain family when camping lol. Appearances go out the window, and we're OK with that :)

Orchid and xxxapache like this.
  12. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Exactly^

A hat, visor, scarf, doo rag, head band or whatever is all you need camping.

13. Orchid

Y'all have clearly never seen my natural hair, after being washed. [LOL]

Even so, when my kids were growing up, we never camped with any hook ups. Actually, there were not many campgrounds that had them at that time, at least not state parks. I made do then by keeping my hair in a tight braid. Now that I have all the modern comforts, I take full advantage of them. :smiley:

Back to @bduck40 's a/c outlet. I would really love to see a picture, or at least know what type of unit it is.

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

What kind of camper? Year/make/model?

On mine I have a dedicated outlet for the A/C. It happens to be in a cabinet and the cord goes through the counter, but there is a double plug in there, set to the 20 amp breaker. I plug my PS4 and TV into it when we camp, no issues, but I wouldn’t do a hair dryer in the same outlet.

I have a couple breakers in the box. If you don’t have a strong spring resistance when popping it back in place to reset the breaker may be bad.

Since this happened on Friday - did you get ti figured out?