AC not cooling.

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by scamperman, Jul 11, 2019.

1. scamperman

scamperman Member

Has anyone tried to put a window AC unit in there pup? The one that was in my pup died and i figure try a window unit. well took old unit out got the window unit in and fired it up started to cool then started blowing hot air.
    I have a 1998 Skamper and the AC in in the side it isnt a roof unit.
    And if i take window unit out and plug it in it cools real good just not in the pup.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

How is the unit mounted in the pop up? Window units need to be 90% outside and 10% inside to work properly.

3. scamperman

scamperman Member

ahhh ok i have it slide up to were the face is flush with the cabinets. wonder if i put a fan in there with it if that would help?

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It would help. Maybe not enough, but you could try it. Those things generate a lot more heat than they remove.

xxxapache likes this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Look at the installation directions. The camper install should mimic them. Some Aliner owners have made theirs removable.

6. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Actually, the A-Line uses a window style unit on their camper which have or are able to have AC.

I have seen standard PopUps where the owner has cut a port into the back panel (one side of the spare tire) for a window AC unit. I would however be concerned about putting that much weight aft of the axle. I've also have seen where people modify a section of canvas so that the AC unit can stick out between canvas panels.

Whatever you end up doing, I would keep the option to remove the unit for cooler weather camping.