ac question

dave123

freedom is not just another word
Mar 29, 2013
i have a aliner with no ac or generater, i read that folks that pull there trailers with the ac in the window or ac hole that it hurts there ac due to the bouncing of the trailer and ac; i was wondering does anyone just put there ac in there vehicle wrapped in blackets then get to there site and pull it out and mount it on a built platform outside of the window and flume the air in?

is that a bad idea???? i've nevered camped with a ac before and don't want to put a hole in the trailer and moving to florida and that humidity scares me lol, seriously thou; thanks ps will a 2000 watt handa handle a 5000 - 6000 home depot ac??? thanks again dave

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
We replaced ours last year with an LG 6000 BTU with a remote control. We drive through forest roads most of the time because we go boondocking approximately 10 times a year. And have replaced it once after five years. BUT I don’t go four wheeling while towing my Aliner.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-LW6017R-1...ntrol&qid=1597797165&sprefix=lg+ac+600&sr=8-4

Adventure Tom has a replacement video:

Rick from “Going Nowhere Fast” has modified his Aliner with the ability to install and uninstall at the campsite. He goes on tougher roads.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Blackripley

Jul 21, 2018
Goleta Ca
i have a aliner with no ac or generater, i read that folks that pull there trailers with the ac in the window or ac hole that it hurts there ac due to the bouncing of the trailer and ac; i was wondering does anyone just put there ac in there vehicle wrapped in blackets then get to there site and pull it out and mount it on a built platform outside of the window and flume the air in?

is that a bad idea???? i've nevered camped with a ac before and don't want to put a hole in the trailer and moving to florida and that humidity scares me lol, seriously thou; thanks ps will a 2000 watt handa handle a 5000 - 6000 home depot ac??? thanks again dave

There are a few ways to go to get AC in your ALiner. First off you will need a unit that is hight BTUs 8K or more.
There are a lot of unit options too, You could mount it the same place as the manufacture does cutting a hole and installing a window unit, you could go the portable route (two hoses is much better than one), ClimateRight makes an interesting product, or you could rig up a window unit somehow (in my trailer I think I could get it to work in the window over the sink, but it would be tricky).

In most cases, you will need a more powerful generator than a 2000w unit, if you want to run an AC with it. It is less about the running and more to do with when the compressor kicks on during startup at that moment there is a spike in the amp draw.

Tait

May 1, 2020
I have had no trouble running the window AC (a 5000K unit) with my Honda EU2000 - admittedly it does bog it down a little in "Econo" mode when starting, but it does allow the AC to start, even in Econo mode. So, yes, there is a spike in draw at the start, but my EU2000 does run the AC OK.

That is not true of all A/Cs. A single EU2000 - even a EU2200 - won't run the roof AC on my dad's Aliner.

TS

Tait

May 1, 2020
Either would if the A/C was equipped with a Micro-Air Easy Start soft starter kit. ;)

I do believe that to be true - he started it with 2 generators in parallel, then turned one of them off. It ran the AC until the generator cycled off, then it wouldn't get it started again. So, it can RUN the AC, so a soft start is a very plausible solution!

DiamondGirl

Adventures with KODI in AZ
Jul 2, 2016
AZ
Wow. I’ve never seen an Aliner with an AC unit mounted on the roof. They’re always mounted on the side or a cool cat under the bed. My LG unit works with my Honda. Never had a problem.

dave123

Mar 29, 2013
We replaced ours last year with an LG 6000 BTU with a remote control. We drive through forest roads most of the time because we go boondocking approximately 10 times a year. And have replaced it once after five years. BUT I don’t go four wheeling while towing my Aliner.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-LW6017R-1...ntrol&qid=1597797165&sprefix=lg+ac+600&sr=8-4

Adventure Tom has a replacement video:

Rick from “Going Nowhere Fast” has modified his Aliner with the ability to install and uninstall at the campsite. He goes on tougher roads.

thanks i like your info especially the 39 pound ac

dave123

Mar 29, 2013
There are a few ways to go to get AC in your ALiner. First off you will need a unit that is hight BTUs 8K or more.
There are a lot of unit options too, You could mount it the same place as the manufacture does cutting a hole and installing a window unit, you could go the portable route (two hoses is much better than one), ClimateRight makes an interesting product, or you could rig up a window unit somehow (in my trailer I think I could get it to work in the window over the sink, but it would be tricky).

In most cases, you will need a more powerful generator than a 2000w unit, if you want to run an AC with it. It is less about the running and more to do with when the compressor kicks on during startup at that moment there is a spike in the amp draw.
thanks blackripley but i need to be lightweight

Blackripley

Jul 21, 2018
Goleta Ca
thanks blackripley but i need to be lightweight
I still wonder if a window AC unit would fit in the none door side (kitchen) sliding window. If so that seems like it would be a no brainer. No cutting and places the AC unit higher than stock for better heat exchange and cooling. How big is that opening?
images

It would need extra support on the outside, but that can be easily done.

JLawrence

Oct 20, 2021
I still wonder if a window AC unit would fit in the none door side (kitchen) sliding window. If so that seems like it would be a no brainer. No cutting and places the AC unit higher than stock for better heat exchange and cooling. How big is that opening?
images

It would need extra support on the outside, but that can be easily done.

Has anyone done this? The Commander Heat Pump doesn't cool (I found that out a few months ago) and now I've learned that it doesn't heat either, so it's pretty much useless. I want to remove it and use an A/C. The window unit seems the easiest option, so I was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Some pup owners set up a stand outside the camper to suport the ac and push it against the screen. That could work. You just need to make a stand. And then find a place for it and the ac.

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Has anyone done this? The Commander Heat Pump doesn't cool (I found that out a few months ago) and now I've learned that it doesn't heat either, so it's pretty much useless. I want to remove it and use an A/C. The window unit seems the easiest option, so I was wondering if anyone has tried it.
Do you have a Command Heat Pump? What year and model is your Aliner?

After boarding in and insulating the storage area opposite my heat pump, I've been very pleased with the performance of our heat pump. When it was 90 degrees, I was able to get the camper to hold at 69. This weekend we camped in 20 degree weather and decided to use the heat pump at night, which kept the camper around 60 (our perfect sleeping temp). We fired up the furnace in the morning to jump it up to 70.

Hilldweller

Super Active Member
Mar 2, 2021
Hog Waller, GA
Do you have a Command Heat Pump? What year and model is your Aliner?

After boarding in and insulating the storage area opposite my heat pump, I've been very pleased with the performance of our heat pump. When it was 90 degrees, I was able to get the camper to hold at 69. This weekend we camped in 20 degree weather and decided to use the heat pump at night, which kept the camper around 60 (our perfect sleeping temp). We fired up the furnace in the morning to jump it up to 70.
Maybe your Command has the electronic heating element in it like the Australians get. That's supposed to work down to 15 degrees F. Mine doesn't have it; works okay down to 40. At 34 or so it just shuts off and blinks.

Campeador

May 22, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Maybe your Command has the electronic heating element in it like the Australians get. That's supposed to work down to 15 degrees F. Mine doesn't have it; works okay down to 40. At 34 or so it just shuts off and blinks.
Wow, no kidding? I can't imagine that I mistakenly got a deluxe version (of anything), but it does, indeed, sound like that may be so. It would seem fair, given all the other issues I've had! Or maybe it was beginner's luck? Time will tell.

BillyMc

Super Active Member
Mar 25, 2018
South Carolina
will a 2000 watt handa handle a 5000 - 6000 home depot ac???
Well my 2500 watt Westinghouse will run the 13,500 BTU on top of my HTT so I would think a 2000 would handle half the AC. Now it does max the generator on startup, but the load meter drops to 50% once it is running.

AstroBob

Jul 6, 2021
My 2022 Aliner classic with the command heat pump cools pretty good up to 90 degrees or so, and it runs just fine off of my honda 2200i, maybe 50% load. Plenty of power to run the micro too, if needed.

tlhdoc

Oct 2, 2004

There are people that remove their air conditioner when traveling. Yes a 2000 watt generator will easily run a 6000 btu air conditioner. Check out alinerowners.org . There is a lot of helpful information about aliners there.