AC Vent Redirector

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by cottonlily, Sep 12, 2019.

1. cottonlily

cottonlily New Member

Full disclosure - I may have just made that term up. Our pu has the rooftop ac but that's where all the air blows, back up on the ceiling. It certainly cools the pu but it would be much more comfortable if some cool air would blow downward and I think we wouldn't have to run it as much/high. It has the factory diverter in the vent opening but it doesn't help much for this purpose. I can't find anything specific so willing to DIY. Any ideas? Something akin to the exterior vent for a clothes dryer and some heavy duty adhesive maybe.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I don't have AC on my pup but if I wanted to deflect the direction of the air flow, i would start with trying to duct tape a piece of cardboard to the ceiling about 6 inches away from the AC vent to see if I could deflect it downward.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    eoleson1 and cottonlily like this.
  3. Pnut

Pnut Member

I added a vent in that blows out the bottom that you can turn and direct it where you want to. Here is a link to something like I did.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have had a couple of units with window airs on the floor , I used Luan plywood, Glue and made a diverter that moved the air upward made a big difference

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Not sure what you're looking for here. Ours has four vents. We aim one into each bunk and the other two down sharply and it works pretty well. The only time I recall running it on high was a trip in July 2018 where the afternoon temps were 100+ every afternoon.

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Not sure how yours is configured - mine has vents that you can move, but they refuse to stay in one spot, and always end up rotating back up to the ceiling. I ended up using a folded piece of paper to make a wedge that kept it in a mostly downward angle. That simple mod did make a difference, along with a number of fans in the cabin to help circulate the air a little more as well.

7. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Saw somewhere on here where someone used one of those flexible cutting mats to divert the air. It's slim enough to fit between the ceiling and the ac framing. You could rig some sort of wedge type of thing that would fit between the cutting board and ceiling to bend the cutting board down where you want it.

Here's a link to the type of cutting board used: https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...hKqo4jJCay9NL7xQwYBoCZ9EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

upload_2019-9-16_13-41-12.png

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I use the bunk end light fans, it pulls the air toward the bunks.