Acadia, Aderonadacks, Fingerlakes, and on to MI

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by jbnole97, Aug 24, 2014.

1. jbnole97

jbnole97 "Not all who wander are lost."

We are planning a trip from FL to Acadia, Aderonadacks, Fingerlakes and on to MI (to see family) either through Canada or not. Any pointers you have for this trip would be great. We are traveling June/July 2015 two adults and two small dogs. We are new PUP owners, tho by the time we make that trip we will have much experience camping with our PUP and our pups. I'm thinking of staying at Bass Harbor private campground b/c it seems that the Bar Harbor CGs don't have water hookups and I'm not quite comfortable with that just yet. We will need to stay a night in SC/NC and around Boston...campground just long enough to pop up and pull out one bed. However, I know that DC, NYC, and Boston have horrendous traffic, so suggestions for bypassing would be great! Also, suggestions of must see/do while in each place would be nice, too. We will likely kennel the pups in Acadia so we can do a whale watching trip...suggestions? We are traveling with kayaks and bikes; pups join us for both kayaking and biking. Thanks in advance!

2. Bando

Bando Is it the weekend yet?

3. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you won't make Michigan until July, but keep the Michigan Rally over Father's Day weekend in mind! We've love to meet you!

4. mjsny

mjsny Member

Not sure where you are heading in the Finger Lakes area but we love hiking the gorges in Ithaca. We stay at Robert Treman State Park which has access to wonderful hikes, waterfalls and a swimming hole. Ithaca is also a college town with Cornell and Ithaca College so there restaurants, breweries etc. Ithaca sits at the bottom of Cayuga Lake so you also have the Cayuga Lake Wine Trail with over a dozen wineries.

We mostly just hike swim and enjoy the campground, but did a little wine tasting this year.
    This picture is from a few weeks ago.
    [​IMG]

5. jbnole97

jbnole97 "Not all who wander are lost."

Thank you for the suggestions! I actually just bookmarked camp ann yesterday, so, Bando, your suggestion confirms that will be a stop on our route! As for Finger Lakes, skids, we've been leaning toward Watkins Glen. We definitely want to do a little wine tasting. Thanks for sharing, your pic is beautiful! We won't make the MI rally, but we hope to make one, one day. Sounds like a fun time! [:D]

6. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

Watkins Glen area is nice....LOTS of wineries!!! I will be out there in a couple weeks for work, so no pup...instead I will be staying here - http://www.watkinsglenharborhotel.com/ - my preferred spot to stay when on company busuness and they are footing the bill!)

If you need any recommendations for places to eat - I know a bunch!!!

7. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Boston in the summer can be a big challenge. But you can use 128/95 or 495 to skirt the city and get to cape ann and still be on track to bar harbor. As for bass harbor it is a great area but far away from bar harbor almost 40 min. Look into Soames sound area. In the middle the have hook ups. In bar harbor there are all sorts of islands that can only be reached by shallow boat or kayak. We have done it long ago. You and the dogs should have a great trip.