Acadia National Park and Cape Cod

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by StarSeven7, Sep 17, 2019.

1. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

I'm just starting to think about a trip for next summer and we'd like to do coastal New England. I'm thinking mainly Acadia National Park, Boston, Cape Cod, and maybe a few sites in between. We'll probably go the last week of June through 4th of July weekend. Do you think Acadia or Cape Cod would be "better" for 4th of July weekend? Better to me means fun 4th of July activities but NOT a crazy party crowd. Any campground or activities suggestions for those areas or in between would be great! We'll probably stay in a national park campground and possibly Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod. Thanks!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

ACADIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Traffic will be murder after school is out for the summer to the Cape.
    Go to Maine ,,,,, Bar Harbor is nice, Pass on Boothbay, We always stay at a private "Hadley Point Campground"

WVhillbilly, jnc and StarSeven7 like this.
  3. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

Thanks! So you're saying you recommend heading to Cape Cod first and Acadia over 4th of July?

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I'm saying pass of the cape all together .........

jnc likes this.
  5. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

Well, it is something we would like to do...

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Boston north is very nice, ships in the Harbor, etc. Salem witches, Gloucester, Rockport, Hampton beach in New Hampshire, all of Rt 1 in Maine.

As for Cape Cod it is usually packed in the summer when school is out. Thats all. Its a place to go to the beach, not much to see.

StarSeven7 likes this.
  7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

This is only my opinion. Whatever you plan I am sure you will have a good time. If you do this trip I would suggest you go North (Maine) first and then work south. There is so much to see that way.

StarSeven7 likes this.
  8. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

We like the beach! :) I've been to most of those places as a kid but my DH hasn't been that way at all. I remember Acadia as one of my favorite places so I'm very excited to go back! My DH keeps mentioning wanting to go to Boston so I thought that would be good to add in. And I wasn't originally thinking Cape Cod but we really do love the beach and I've been reading about the bike trails so I thought a few days of beach and biking sounded pretty awesome! :)

Thanks for your suggestions! I was thinking of going north first (it's the farthest destination for us) and working our way south as well. I'm a little concerned about being in Cape Cod over 4th of July and whether it would be crazy. I don't mind busy during the day but I really hate noisy campgrounds at night! But I'm an American whose been living in Canada for the last 14 years and I can't remember the last time I was in the U.S. for the 4th so the idea of being there does make me happy! :)

Do you have better suggestions for a beach destination in that general vicinity? Something not as busy??

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Boston would be great on the fourth. Fireworks in the harbor. WOW

jnc and StarSeven7 like this.
  10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

As for the beach check out Hampton Beach in New Hampshire and all the beaches in Maine.

StarSeven7 likes this.
  11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Where in Canada would you be coming from? The ride down thru Vermont and crossing over New Hampshire is nice.

jmkay1 likes this.
  12. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

We live near the Michigan border so we would most likely cross near Buffalo, NY.

13. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

That would be very cool!

14. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We been to New Brunswick, Grand Manan Island, Bay of Funny, Nova Scotia, We couldn't get to PEI the bridge was closed that day ...... someday maybe. The two places that changed so much over the years are Montreal and Niagara Falls .... they are not on our to do again list.

15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We just came back from a week on the Upper Peninsula ...... great time ....lots of driving between stops, not like New England.

16. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

We still need to get to Atlantic Canada one day too! My DH hates Niagara Falls (especially the Canadian side) because it's so touristy and expensive! I'm from MI so I'm glad you enjoyed the UP! It's beautiful up there!

17. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

My wife and I both found Acadia to be rather ho-hum. We were there just before the tourist season opened.

18. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I second Acadia. I went there about 4 years ago staying at blackwoods campground late Aug so no experience what it was like during the fourth. I’m leaning towards it being less insane up there on the 4th. I did a 1.5 weeks in New England. Went to Rhode Island first (had family near new port) traveled to Acadia for four nights and drove to the white mountains in NH for 3 nights. Acadia and the white mountains were surpurb and loved every second. According to my family in RI who used to live in Boston. Cape Cod is too insane and crowded during the summer. When They went to the beach they traveled to elsewhere. They did say it is beautiful but only after kids are all back in school and you are really able to actually enjoy the place.

StarSeven7 likes this.
  19. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

Really?! That was one of my favorite places that I went as a kid and we traveled all over the Eastern U.S.! I guess everyone has different tastes!

20. StarSeven7

StarSeven7 Member

Thanks for the response! How did you like Blackwoods campground? I was comparing it to the private Mt. Desert Campground which has electricity and showers and the price doesn’t seem insanely high. Hmm, maybe I should rethink Cape Cod. We really love the beach and it looks great but we hate crowded and busy. It seemed like Nickerson State Park was maybe a quieter spot (well, as quiet as you can get with 400 campsites!) but maybe even getting around would be chaotic.

Does anyone know when schools go back in New England? We could always go the last week of August since our kids don’t go back until after Labor Day.