Acadia National Park campgrounds

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by hvac1877, Mar 12, 2017.

1. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

The Wife and I are thinking of maybe going there for a week in the future. What are the Federal campgrounds are like and what are the state, private campgrounds in the area. Thanks

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Lake Durant is beautiful and right in the heart of the Adirondacks.

3. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

We stayed at the new Schoodic Woods CG on the penninsula. It was alot quieter and still saw all the nature and there was a small town nearby for supplies and had a restaurant or two. We only made it over to the island for two days, one was for dinner and my son wanted to do the Haunted Walking Tour, which was fun, the other was for showers and to hike some trails before taking a sail on the big Schooner. There is a ranger station and museum on the penninsula so lots of good info for the kids and such.

Whole area is very dog friendly, we took our GSD everywhere, walked her through town, she ate with us at the restaurants (most allow the dogs at their outdoor seating), both the restaurant and schooner provided her with plenty of water and some treats. Lots of car traffic on MDI, when we went to town for lunch and to take our sail, we ended up parking at the athletic fields which was about a 1.5 mile walk to downtown and the piers. It was nice though as we were able to have a picnic lunch there on the grass and then fill our water bottles at the YMCA right there.

Only drawback of Schoodic Woods is there are no showers...the park service decided to allow someone in the town the business opportunity for a shower facility, only no one in the town was interested in that opportunity. There is a B&B in town that provides a shower, but it was expensive $25 per person if I remember correctly. We ended up at the coin facility outside of the Blackwoods CG on MDI. We were there in July 2016.

4. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

Here is a look at Blackwoods Campground.

5. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Thanks a lot we have a hybrid so the shower is in the camper. We where looking at this campground since it has power and water. The sites look pretty big but not a lot of shade yet. How long did it take to get over to bar harbor from the campground. We thought it be cool to see different lighthouses and go to Canada since we will be so close.

6. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

It was a very nice CG, yes, large sites (we booked one next to the bathroom, site 31). The bathroom did have an outdoor SS sink and counter for dish-washing and disposal bear bins for food scraps and such. Being newer, trees are young so correct, little shade. Had our awning setup and always a nice breeze blowing. Never felt really hot.

Here is the original thread, has one pic of the site with the bathroom in the background:
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/first-real-trip-acadia-me.106161/

To Bar Harbor was about 45-60 minute drive. There is a super Walmart along the way for supplies you can't get in the local towns or want to find cheaper.

hvac1877 likes this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I stayed at Blackwood campground about 3 years ago. No electricity or water, and the B section was much more quieter than the A section. Beautiful place, good tree buffer at least on the B side, A side much less so. It appeared all the bigger units were put on the A side tents and smaller pop-ups were on the B side. What I loved the most is the bus system they had during peak season. I took that bus all over the park. Parking in Bar Harbor was crazy. The bus system though took me to all the main places to see. Good thing too, I was having car trouble on the trip.

hvac1877 likes this.
  8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

If you don't need elec., then I would recommend Blackwoods. Site size is relatively nice, location is incredibly convenient. Bathrooms are nice, but lack showers as noted (none in the park, like many of the NPs). Very easy to get in and out of BH. The bus system is nice and in order to use it, you need to stay on the BH side of the island.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We've stayed at Blackwoods CG twice (2009 & 2016). It's a nice layed out CG and the bathrooms are fairly new (renovated within the last 5 years) also, they are flush toilets. Sites are nice and plenty of trees and brush in between sites. We stayed in the A loop both times. There are no showers there, but there are pay showers about 1/4 down the road and they are open 24x7.

10. smhartman

smhartman Member

We are staying at Mount Desert Campground this summer. I'd check with them to see if they accommodate your hybrid. We stayed in Blackwoods CG twice and this year I decided to have water and electric for convenience.