Accessories - cooler and canopy

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by ny_rocking_chairs, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Sig_Fan55

Sig_Fan55 New Member

Another vote for the Coleman 52qt Extreme, cheap and holds ice for 5+ days. Only weak point seems to be the hinges which I broke already and swapped for the metal versions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. davido

davido Active Member

I have the 10'x10' free-standing straight-leg canopy from Walmart (Ozark Trail, I think). I found it necessary to treat it with Scotch Guard to better repel water, and I treated the seams inside and out with seam sealer. Now it's very good at keeping heavy rain off of us.

Walmart also sells panels that match the canopy's nylon canvass, and that can be installed on the sides. I bought three of them so that in really bad weather I can protect three sides of the canopy. These side panels just clip into the free-standing frame. They would not be effective at repelling bugs, but they keep the wind, afternoon sun, or sideways rain out.

The canopy without sides takes about five minutes to set up, and a little longer to fold back up again. It's a two-person job. Attaching the sides takes a few more minutes, but can be done by one person. Most of the time I don't bother with the side panels, but when things get really hot or really rainy, they are great.

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We use the COLEMAN 5-day Ice Chest here. Done us well over the years. I fill it up with ice and then use a large snap lid clear container sitting on top of the ice to put our meats in to keep water out of the packages...

We usually camp a week somewhere when we go so have to make a couple of ice runs back to town somewhere. My fridge on my trailer does not have a freezer compartment. We keep our cooler in the covered truck bed near the tail gate. Holds ice for a long time there... Got to keep them in the shade haha...
    [​IMG]

My awning is just now dying to the sun UV's and the zip up bag is toast now. I had to pull it off this season... I'm thinking about getting one of those 10'x10' free-standing straight-leg Ozark Trail canopies from Walmart like in the above thread. They cost around $70 I think... Planning just scooting this up to the door of the trailer and I'm hoping I will be able to open my door without hitting the top of the canopy. Just can't afford the $500 to replace the original awning yet... I may be in trouble opening my trailer door looking at the canopy in the above tread. Neat setup... Cloudland Canyon at Trenton Georgia has those fence rails around their West Rim camping spots...

The way those canopy stow up easy in the small bags could carry a couple of them with no problem...

Roy Ken

4. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

I used an easy-up for several years on my old Starcraft PUP in the manner you plan. The problem with them where we camp on the CA north coast is the fog and drizzle, sometimes almost rain. The gap between the easy-up and the camper body and the slope of it's roof directs any water towards the trailer. You can pick up a 10 to 12 foot replacement bag awning on Ebay for around $200 to $300 and it simply makes life easier.

5. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

We lined our cooler with the plastic aluminized bubble insulation (simply because we had some and wanted to experiment) and found that it more than doubled the life of our ice and made the inside substantially cooler at the same time. We have one of those big boater style Coleman's as our main cooler. The bubble stuff is inexpensive and only 3/8" thick so it does not take up valuable real-estate in the cooler. We cut a piece to make an interference fit on top of the food and just lay it in rather than gluing it to the inside of the top.

[​IMG]

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

For years, we used one of the higher end Coleman metal coolers. We added foam on the top, by cutting up and layering a closed cell sleeping pad; we used that under the PUGs cover. Without the extra insulation, the metal would get too hot to touch.
    When that wore out, we bought a Canyon Cooler - still higher end, but not as expensive as a Yeti. Again, we used the foam pad on top, since it was often in the sun (even in the back of the 4Runner); at high altitudes and in the desert SW that leads to extra stress on ice.) I made a Reflectix cap, since it was too tight to fit a whole jacket on it in the 4Runner.
    Once we bought the TT, which has a good sized 'fridge and freezer, we down-sized the inside of the cooler, going to a Pelican. We don't use the extra insulation on the top, we don't seem to get as much sun pounding on the top of the cooler int he bed of the truck, under the cover (there's several inches of air space). We mostly use it for extra iced tea and Gatorade, plus food for lunch if we're out and about, and for restocking our food (we can be 30-60 minutes from the stores).
    Our coolers have always been in the vehicle when it wasn't meal time. On rare occasions, DH would leave the cooler with me if he went off for the day in the vehicle, but I was in the campsite if he did that. (No longer necessary with the TT 'fridge.) Now, the cooler just stays in place in the vehicle, it's easier to retrieve things from it than heft it around. I cannot pick it up at all once filled, so I've learned how to drain it without removing it from the vehicle.
    On our last couple of trips, it has been extra hot. After the first refill of ice, usually on the second day of the trip, I think we added ice once during the week.
    We're back to experimenting with awning and shade structures. The awning on the TT is nt as reliable as the one we had on the pup, so we have to roll it up when we leave camp, and any time the breeze hits 20 mph or so.
    After two very buggy July trips to Colorado, this year we bought a screen house to provide shade and bug shelter. It collapsed while we were out of camp, on the first night in Colorado earlier this month.We can buy new poles next year, when the new shipment is in, so we'll use it when bugs are likely in more sheltered sites.
    The REI Alcove has been pretty good for us, but it does have a bit of a rain gathering issue. It is, however, quite stable in the wind. I can put it up solo (I could do the screen house too, but not as easily), which is an advantage. We bought a second Alcove and wind wall (those cover 2 adjacent sides) yesterday. This way, we can place them end to end and have a roomy shade structure. I found ideas for fixing the rain puddling problem, so we'll try it. (Our Labor Day week trip will be in Utah, we know the site we have for 5 nights at Arches NP is pretty sunhy.)

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

FLINGWING1969 - I am afraid that may happen to me also haha... I need one of those 10X10 canopy's anyway...

My OFF-ROAD Trailer is pretty high with the 15-inch wheels and really doubt the canopy will be as high as the roof. I'm almost betting I can't even open the trailer door with the canopy being there...

Was just a thought...

I haven't started looking anywhere for a new 11'-6" zip bag for my awning... I have a good boat shop close to here and bet they would sew it all for for me for almost nothing...

The rest of the awning bag is in good shape for being a 2008 model...

Last season I just layed it on the roof edge and used stretch rope to hold it down. Kept a eye on it while going down the road... We don't get very far away from the house anymore anyway... As easy as it is to slide out of the mounting groove on the trailer I could almost just carry the thing in the back of my truck bed...

Will probably go out in SEP/OCT this year to a couple of 50-mile away places here. Bet I get by just fine with a Canopy... They cost $79 at WALMART here - OZARK TRAIL brand. The 12X12 model is $110 I thing...

Roy Ken

8. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

I never had any problems with opening my Starcraft's door with the easy-up there and it was a big part of our galley before we got our Santa Fe. We still use one over our campsite's picnic table, hanging a small propane lantern from the center. You can get the easy-ups pretty tall so I wouldn't worry about the door - just the drips.

9. 61cubby

61cubby New Member

Look into the Clam Escape or Pavillion, depending on size you are looking for. Both are worth every penney and can easily be set up in minutes by one person. The Escape weighs in at 38lbs an will fit in the front storage compartment on your pup. Build quality is exceptional.

As for coolers, my Coleman Extreme works pretty well but I took the plunge this year and bought a couple of Engel coolers, a 35qt and a 65qt. The 65 held ice for 4 days no problem in 80 degree heat. The 35 kept meat frozen for those 4 days as well. Very impressed and happy with my purchase!

10. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

Those are some classy and pricey coolers. Not sure I'm ready for that since I don't really boondock. Nor do I camp with city water or electricity but I'm always driving distance to an ice point of sale.

11. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Yeah, even when we boondock, we are usually within "ice distance" when needed. I can't imagine spending that much for a cooler.

12. travisma

travisma New Member

If it's not too late, I just bought a 10 x 14 speedy up screen room from our local Sams for $39, used to be either $79 or $89.

They are not available on line, and the other Sams I visited didn't have them.

13. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Took the $20+$10 experimental cooler with us this weekend (Thursday afternoon through Sunday morning in the Adirondaks, but still hit 80's) and filled with cold beer, frozen 1L water bottles and the contents of the home freezer's ice drawer...worked like a charm, the ice cubes were still solid Saturday evening and had cold beer the entire weekend. Leaving this Friday for another 5-day trip and will have most of our dinners in there this time.

To recap:
    $20 cooler on sale at that big sporting goods place.
    1" blue insulation foam from the home improvement store and some silicone caulk to line the interior (have enough blue insulation for 2x more coolers).
    Left over reflectix and some duct tape on the outside.

14. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

Nice! I still think I'm going with the cooler in a box solution. A box made with lightweight aluminum (I have a sheet of diamond plate) or luan plywood, line that with a sandwich of Reflectix/Polyisocyanurate/Reflectix, then the cooler inside that. It's much easier to line our 120 qt cooler but we really fill that puppy as we never camp for less than a week and we really need the space.

15. travisma

travisma New Member

I could be mistaken, but I read a post somewhere that reflectix will work best if it's used on the outside of an item. Something about the silver reflects the heat better than it's insulating properties. The article said that reflectix really doesn't insulate that well, but with the silver and the air pockets, it does a good job.

16. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 New Member

Thanks. Probably true, maybe I'll just put 2" poly insulation in instead. I did use Reflectix in a small (and pretty worthless on its own) fabric over plastic "insulated" box zippered cooler - a layer on the bottom, along each side between the fabric and the box, and one just sitting on top and it improved the cooling by a factor of three or four.

17. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

We had a $69 pvc ez-up from K-mart that we bought ~10 years ago. I used that canopy for tailgates, camping and loaned it to friends for yearly bicycle events. It finally delaminated so bad that I was covered in blue plastic 'pixie dust' the last time I set it up. We had that blue stuff everywhere. DW said we needed a new one so my search began. The main criteria was straight legs and can be set up by one person. I was zeroed in on ez-up and first up canopies with plans for an early christmas present. Then on a trip to Costco they had this on sale for $79.

http://www.cochaser.com/blog/proshade-10-x-10-folding-canopy/

It has straight legs, can be set up by one person, but get some help the first time, and came with full zippered and velcroed side panels. I don't think I'll use the sides but will keep them in the carry bag just in case. The reviews indicate it is difficult to set up, which it was the first time, I finally enlisted the DW to assist and that was the key to getting it set up. The second time I set it up by myself, no problem and was no more difficult than the old ez-up. The reason straight legs was a must is because I lower the canopy at night and when away from the camp to hopefully minimize any rain getting on the picnic table or any wind damage. The angled legs on the old ez-up made lowering and raising a bit of a bother, especially if the legs were staked, straight legs allow lowering and raising without changing the geometry of the footprint.

18. link81

link81 New Member

The thing that we've found with coolers is to bring 2.
    One Latches shut, and we keep all the perishables in it. No one goes in it unless you're getting something specific.
    The other one has all the drinks and condiments. That one gets opened a lot and goes through more ice, but nothing will go bad.
    The food cooler will keep ice for 4 days easy. The other one will need ice after a couple days.

19. Ryanm

Ryanm Member

It doesn't do anything about the bugs, but I just use a big tarp. I got a 16x20 tarp, some of those 100' lengths of nylon rope that come on plastic spools and a couple army camo net poles from some surplus site on teh interweb. The long ropes let me use tie downs nowhere near the tarp and the poles hold the center 12' (or 16' if I use all 4 sections) off the ground so it doesn't feel like a cave- you don't feel like you're inside even in good weather. My wife found a couple tiki torches that clamp onto the picnic table and it's just great at night.

With the poles pushing up and the ropes pulling down it stays in place pretty well, but tying the pole tops off to some of the grommets makes it almost entirely windproof. When it's raining we've still got tons of room to get all the bikes and chairs under cover and still not have to be trapped in the camper. On really stormy nights we've had tenters flee their sites and come visit.

It's been cheap since the initial buys- $40 or $50 for the tarp and $90 for a pair of poles (4 pole sections and one butterfly is one set). The tarp's seen several years- I got some tarp tape and a grommet kit a couple years ago and it's still doing well. With tying down boats and other non-camping rope uses, I end up buying one or two new ropes at Home Depot every year, but if I only used them for the tarp I wouldn't have had to buy any more.

20. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I bought the Impact canopy, used for the first time....lot better quality than the one I bought from Walmart that did not last 2 uses....one of the pins that held a post in place fell off. This new one is built well and was easy to set up. Tear down was easy too. I have a 96 litre cooler, 56 litre Coleman Extreme 5 day and a rolling Coleman 48 litre cooler. I only use the rolling one now since our TT has a Fridge and Freezer. We traded the pup over 4 years ago