Actual tongue weight

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by PointyCamper, Feb 6, 2016.

1. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

I know the battery and LP bottles are not included but does anyone know if the tongue weight (specifically on Aliner) are close to actual?
    2nd: would putting water in the tank, which is behind the axle, change the tongue weight by being a counterbalance?
    (No we are not close to an unsafe condition. This is just for discussion). Thanks
    [ALPU] [TV]

2. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

I would think a standard bathroom scale could tell you with a sport model?

or... this homemade version works too.

Attached Files:

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Also, anything in your TV behind the axle is tongue weight as far as TV capacity. That includes anything on the roof.

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I have weighed a number of Aliners tongues. The Sport has a much heavier tongue that the Classic.

Most Classics I have weighed were 100 to 120 pounds empty. The Sports I have weighed were all close to 200 pounds empty depending on how they are equipped.

To keep tongue weight down I tow with the water tank full and water heater empty. My tongue weight is normally around 235 pounds loaded.

I assume the Sport has a heavy tongue due to the axle placement required because of the door. The axle is further rearward on the Sport than would be ideal.

5. PointyCamper

That makes sense, Customer. We tried weighing it with the bathroom scale method. With battery and 1 LP tank we got 240.
    I wasnt sure we did it correctly because most people say it should be about 10% and we are nowhere near that. We are fairly light packers with most of the stuff in the van anyway.
    I know water adds to total weight but was thinking it would counterbalance the tongue weight because the tank is behind the axle.
    We have no towing problems but have just been having discussions. No water heater but AC and furnace. We like the little camper. Especially since we added a foam mattress.
    Thanks for the info.

6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

You can absolutely off load tongue weight with weight behind the axle. If you fill your propane tank (20 lb bottle) and your water heater filled, (6x8 lbs per gal=48) fir a total of 68 lbs, then you could load 68 behind and cancel some of the 68 up front. This is how big rigs with slide plates and sliding axles can manipulate weights. Keep in mind that the bridged weight and axle weights are bearing the weight that is shifted however.

7. PointyCamper

Thanks! I knew there was a reason I had repeated Physics class

8. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that my Sport used to be about 275 pounds tongue weight when loaded. Because that was over the 250 pound rating of my hitch changes were needed.

I have two group 24 gel batteries mounted under the dinette seat directly over the axle. Because of being over the axle the batteries have a neutral effect on the tongue. Taking the original group 24 battery from the tongue reduced tongue weight about 35 pounds.

I originally had a single flooded battery under the seat in a vented battery box. When I upgraded to two gel batteries the vented box was unnecessary.

I went with the gel instead of AGM because I get them free when they are cycled out of rental mobility scooters at one year of use.

9. mark30

mark30 Member

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

11. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

"Most people" would be wrong, 10% gross tongue weight to gross trailer weight is the lowest you should be looking for, better to aim for 13% to 14%.

12. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Keep in mind the camper has to be on level ground when you measure the tongue weight. I found it doesn`t take much slope at all to affect the results.

13. Dutchie56

Dutchie56 New Member

Take care with placing weight behind the axle. We did so in order to reduced tongue weight and ended up with a bent frame, which cost more than $1,000 to repair and strengthen. We have a 2007 Aliner Expedition. Axle weight when loaded is 2,200 lbs. I have never weighed it empty but the declared weight by the manufacturer is well below the actual weight. We have a 17.5 ft boat which weighs 2,800 lbs and the Aliner feels just as heavy when loaded. When towing it with a Chevy Colorado we needed air bags to keep the back of the truck level. Even now with our new Tacoma we notice that that back goes down a bit when towing the trailer. Just to be sure, we do not overload it. It's just my wife and I and we travel light.

14. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Maybe your tongue weight is too high? I don't think a 300lbs tongue weight would make your truck sagging too much...

15. Lonewolf55

Lonewolf55 Going NoWhereFast

Pre-2010 Trailers had pretty light weight frames. And #2000lb axles. You had to be careful about loading in the back of the trailer. The tongue wieght is really only important for trailer handling. It should 15% of total trailer weight or you can get trailer sway (the tail wags the dog). Not as common in short trailers, but scary as hell when it happens, and potentially deadly for everyone on the road a t the time. We are Americans! We Over load everything, our trailer, our cars, our stomachs. Drive careful, don't speed, and pay attention to your weight distribution and balance. On a smooth dry road, you can toe the line a little. On a wet blowing, bumpy road, your looking for trouble. My 2 cents.

Anthony Hitchings likes this.