ADA Compliant Pop-up - Marketable?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Deskpilot, Oct 13, 2010.

Ask amongst friends - Would you consider purchasing a Wheelchair and ADA friendly 12' Pop-Up Camper

Poll closed Dec 12, 2010.
  1. Yes. Needs to accomodate YOUTH in WC + 2-3 familiy members

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes. Needs to accomodate YOUTH in WC + 3 or more family members

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Yes. I have a non-ADA vehicle I can use for towing and my family can make it work

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Yes, but I don't have a satifactory TV

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Yes, but price needs to be comparable

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. No, because my special needs are too much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, I'll make my own mods

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Yes, Needs to accomodate ADULT in WC + 2-3 family member.(ADDED)

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  9. Yes, Needs to accomodate ADULT in WC + 3 or more family member.(ADDED)

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I was reading one of my Trailer Life there was a company that make TT that are ADA Complaint the trailer had a wheel chair lift and the bath room was made for the wheel chair. i can't find magazine now it also had elect stabilizer.

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

This dude appears to be developing / installing the very type of things we've all brought up as ideas. NOT saying one of y'all can't do this, I'm just sayin look at the photos of his stuff. THIS section is about accessing a travel trailer / mobile home.

I particularly like the grab bars...they seem so adaptable.

[:D]

3. basspaul

basspaul Member

One way to have a popup more accessible would be to have a pivoting torsion axle that would "drop" the floor to the ground. This would eliminate the need for large ramps. Much safer for those who need ramps, not too mention much less effort to get up. The other thing that would need work would be the floor structure for anyone that uses an electric wheelchair. If you've ever had too lift your friend in one over an obstacle, you know how heavy they are.

Feel free to pick my brain, designing stuff is how I get paid... :)

4. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

basspaul, There is a couple who camps near me every April for Merlefest. She had a chronic 'condition' that attacks her nerve endings and she motorvates all over in a wheelchair/scooter hybrid. They own a Class B I believe, could be a C, but it indeed has a ramp built in so that they open the door, hit a switch, the lift lowers, she rolls on, locks in, and then gets lifted to floor level. Her chair backs into the passenger seat space. Then they lower the ramp half way and it's a really easy step up for the other 3 folks in their group.

But after looking at it, I had two thoughts. One was, I think there was no way a pup could handle that kind of weight, and 2nd I'm jealous as hell of their rig!! It's no more than about 25-30 foot and they travel the world in it. As she said, "this ain't getting me down"! LOL

Stimulate those brain cells and help us broken people camp longer! [A]

[:D]

TONY S likes this.
  5. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

6. TONY S

TONY S New Member

I've seen some awesome school bus conversions but that puts it out of the league of popup questions

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. TONY S

TONY S New Member

Got ant photos.