Add a hitch?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by rangerover, Mar 6, 2018.

1. rangerover

rangerover Member

I want to add a 2" trailer hitch receiver to my pup so I can use my trailer hitch mounted bike rack. Anyone ever do this?

Flamingo Guy likes this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have not, but I have heard that you need to be careful how you do it. Most bumpers on pups aren't designed to carry any weight.

rangerover likes this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

General consensus here and just about every other camping board.. Do NOT do this.. A pups bumper is not designed for it and all the extra weight from the bikes will increase the chance of sway...

That said... it can be done, but has to be done properly .. First you have to re-enforce the bumper, bumper attach points and the receiver you'll be adding.. Once the bumper is re-enforced, you have to have the bumper attach points welded into the main frame rails ( these are the two frame parts that the axle/springs attach to.. the receiver will have to be welded into these frame rails as well .. Second, for every pound you add the rear of the pup (anything aft of the axle) youll have to add the same amount of weight to the tongue..

If you look (search) this site youll find tons of info on this idea as well as other ways to carry bikes...

rangerover likes this.
  4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Unless done properly, you chance damaging the bumper, bikes, etc. There has been more than one report of people starting off and having the bikes land on the road. It can also lead to sway, and may change the balance of the camper.
    When we took the bike with the pup, we used a carrier on the back gate of the 4Runner. Since we had a Thule cargo box on the roof, there wasn't room for the bike there too. There are carriers that mount to the pup so the bikes are carried on or over the top of the camper. There are also tongue mounted ones, but again you have to worry about balance.
    (Now that we have the TT, we can carry the bike inside. We just have to remember to take the hitch rack along too. We forgot that on the first trip with the bike/TT combination, which limited the trainload choice.)
    Here is a section to read: http://www.popupportal.com/forums/cargo-carriers-bike-racks-other-storage-option.55/

rangerover likes this.
  5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

the bike rack would need to be attached to the frames, not the bumper.

If you like to sway, go for it... I would not do this.

rangerover likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I do a lot of biking and have been researching the best system for me to carry my bikes. So far, THIS is the system that I am leaning towards.

My only hesitation is that I'm not very excited about bikes bouncing around on the top of my pup. A tie-down may be the answer, but would this cause the tires to dent my roof?? Hence, my hesitation.

rangerover likes this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

ahhh on roof? better roof of your TV.

rangerover and jnc like this.
  8. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

My old pup has a bike rake on the spare tire assembly. Unless you can add a receiver on top of the frame, don't attach it to the bumper.

rangerover likes this.
  9. rangerover

rangerover Member

Thanks everyone, I am surprised that it would cause sway.

10. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Anything that adds weight behind the axle removes tongue weight. The farther back the weight gets, the more weight is removed from the tongue. When the tongue gets too light, you get sway.

rangerover likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here is a very good explanation on sway ...

rangerover likes this.
  12. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I've using that system for 3 yrs now.....no bounce and no roof damage. Increase in tongue weight is minimal.
    If price is a concern many have home-built using this design....just search bike carriers.

rangerover and BikeNFish like this.
  13. fdmsiv

fdmsiv New Member

I just noticed etrailer has some interesting options depending on your budget.
    Tongue Mount
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Bike-Racks/Stromberg-Carlson/CC-275.html

Rear Bumper Mount
    https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S80500.html

Both are bolt on, the tongue mount (after removing the bike holder) might fit under the bunk... Regarding the sway issue, you have to consider the distance between the axle and the hitch. The above video is 100% correct however a little misleading in that the distance from the axle to the hitch is generally greater than the distance from the axle to the rear bumper. If compensation is needed it won't be 1:1 but probably 50 - 75% of bumper added weight depending on placement.

All that being said I am considering one of these:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/Dual-Hitch-Extender-69881.html

14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I just found one of these by the dumpster on my last campout. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but hoping it will work well with my hitch mounted bike rack.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just beware, many of those hitch extenders cut the tow rating and tongue weight rating of your hitch by as much as 50%..

kitphantom likes this.