Add a room without attaching to side of trailer?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by AndreD, Jun 29, 2021.

1. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

I was just speaking to my dealer and he said that the add a room has to be clipped to the side of the trailer, where there is permanent fastened hardware attached. I really don’t want to make any additional holes in the trailer.

As such, how well does the add a room work if you don’t use the mounting hardware to fasten it to the side of the trailer? Presumably there will be a bit of a gap but how bad is it? Is it still worth doing?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Probably not worth it, do you have the room allready? If not just get an ez up with sides.

John2006 and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  3. Jkoht

Jkoht Member

Clear silicone caulk, goop adhesive, duct tape, and wd40. 4 things a man should never be without.

John2006, xxxapache and fourhallatts like this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I say, if you use enough DuckTape you wouldn't need fasteners. [;)]. With that said I think a separate ez up with screens would be more beneficial and less of a pain in the rear to set up and probably cheaper too. Besides many campgrounds I go to are so vastly different having a separate canopy is actually easier as I can set it up where I have room. Bad enough I can't always use my awning where I camp.
    If I were you, I would get a season in of camping first. If you think an add a room will be beneficial for you, go for it. Everyone is different and every one camps differently. I personally wouldn't go out buy an add a room only to find it's too much trouble to use and find it gets thrown in a cabinet. Never to see daylight again.

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

@jmkay1 makes a good point. We tried to set up the screen room for our bag awning one time. We probably spent 15 or 20 minutes before I starting throwing things. We put it back in one of the cubby holes under one of the seats and as far as I know it's still there (we gave the pup to our daughter and family four years ago.
    If you decide you really want a screen room I would go for an E-Z-Up with a sides or one of the instant up screen rooms -- I think people call them clams.

6. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

I currently have a Coleman 11x11 instant up screen house (ez ups are prohibitively expensive in Canada, more than an add a room)

https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Instant-Screen-11x11-Feet-Center/dp/B00K7ZWL5U

I like it for what it was designed for, bugs, and I can set it up alone in minutes…but it is a pain to rig tarps to if it is calling for rain, as it wasn’t designed with this in mind

the add a room seemed like a nice way of adding more screened in real estate, with the ability to wall up in the event it rains.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I will say there more $$$ , whole $&#* batman. Yea, the add a room i had was never set up. It was a pita to use. It went with the pup, and was brand new i think even though the camper was 20 years old. The old owners never used it eaither. You may just like sitting under the awning in the rain. I do that all the time now. The gazzell screen room i have only gets set up when the bugs are bad.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a screen room for my pup. It uses snaps to secure the skirt/curtain on the bottom, which is a separate piece of material from the main room. The sides of the room have a velcro section that goes around the lift posts, and I think some fabric ties down on the bottom. I love it when it is set up - it has drop down weather panels for shade/rain as well. However, it is heavy (same material as the pup canvas) and it takes some effort to set up initially, and it is a royal pain to have to drop in the event of a bad storm, but then again the awning sucks for that too.

Overall I am still torn on the utility - on the one hand I love having the kitchen right outside the pup in a bug free zone. unfortunately in the summer that screen room can get hot, especially while cooking. I do have a Coleman 10x10 canopy that has shade walls and a screen room attachment, and it works well too, but that takes up a ton of room inside the camper for travel. When I use it in lieu of the awning/screen room it ends up being in a different part of the campsite. I can't put it next tot he camper, as that prevents properly securing the guy lines on the camper side.

I really like the Gazelle/Clam style shelters, and have an Aldi knockoff I got for cheap a couple years ago. However, I have found in the last 2 years since I owned it I haven't used it once. It is longer than any other EZ-up style canopy I have which limits transport options, and it gets ungodly hot in the summer. The screen is so tight that minor breezes don't even get through. My screen room his a little wider mesh, so breezes work a little better, but still not ideal.

Eventually I would like to get a good awning like the FIAMM one, and a screen room that attaches to it. That would give me better options at deploying/retracting the awning for inclement weather at least.

Mark CASTELLANI and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

when we got our PUP, it came with an awning [Dometic "Trimline"]... DW thought that an add-on screen room would be nice to have a screen right off the PUP door but, since we already had a seperate screen room we decided to hold off.

Over the years, we've seen them on a couple of PUPs and she'd comment "wouldn't that be nice"... but we stuck with with the seperate screen room deployed over the picnic tables at our sites [she's the FRUGAL one... a "nice to have" goes way down her priority list]

old screen room.jpg

There was ONLY ONE TIME when we had to move the screen room up against the PUP [and tarp it] because it was raining "cats & dogs" and we wanted a clear shot to the picnic table... thank God for a 6'4" teenage son LOL]

The Old Screen Room had gotten "long in the tooth" [preceded the PUP by many years] so, this year, we got an "EZ Up" [Gazelle G6]. We just got back from the G6's "Maiden Voyage" and it WORKED OUT GREAT!... 9 feet at it's peak and 10x10 at it's base... more than enough room to hang out in... a bit pricey but when DW makes up her mind, there's no arguing [LOL]

Happy Trails!

carbonunit, Sjm9911 and John2006 like this.
  10. Karey

Karey Member

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.