Adding 12v LED strip lighting to interior

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Beemser, Apr 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Beemser

Beemser New Member

Hi there, I have a 1997 Coleman/Fleetwood Cheyenne PUP that has the original interior lighting, IE two 12v ceiling mounted light fixtures, one with a 1/4" auxiliary power output that powers a 3rd light fixture on a (super 90's style) curly extension cord.

Since the whole system runs on 12v DC I was thinking there must be a way to retrofit an LED strip light into this system, either by replacing one of the overhead units entirely, or by using the 1/4" power jack. Oddly, I couldn't find any posts about this here on the portal despite a number of different search terms.

Has anyone added LED strip lighting to their interior? Any suggestions, guidance or gotchas to share?

thanks,
    Beemser.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

3. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I posted those pics, but I thought I might put some more up as those were when I was testing scenarios. While I was testing the strips weren't fastened down and there was a lot of glare. What I figured out was that I had to set the strips so you couldn't see the actual LED it self. That was the key. It eliminated the glare problem. I used two controllers, but luckily the remote runs both simultaneously. All the strobe and flash and color runs are cool, but I'm sure that novelty will wear off quickly. It is probably the BEST lighting you will ever see in a pop up. I took these pics without a flash. They are representative, but they really don't do the actual look justice. The glare is the fault of the camera. If you boondock these might be a problem though. Even with LED these things pull a draw.

Natural.jpg

Green.jpg

Blue.jpg

Red.jpg

Natural Door.jpg

Phoodieman

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My POPUP interior has the valance curtains around the whole ceiling area. I added 120VAC ROPE LIGHTS from LOWES over both tent bed ends which made a great nite lites. Being on the ceiling above the opening for the tent bed ends this light also gave a nice glow for the tent beds ends as well

My setup has an active "ALWAYS ON" PSW Power Inverter running off my batteries so having low wattage 120VA items is not a problem for us when off grid. Never did look for LED DC equivalents...

I also have the X10 ACTIVEHOME (AMAZON) remote control units used in my trailer for exterior Motion detector units as well as remote ON/OFF modules for PATIO lights ets. These ROPE LIGHTS above the tent bed ends are controlled by a pocket remote unit.

This works great for us...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

My valence were in shabby shape. (The clips at least, the cloth it self looks brand new). I want to get those back in. I think it will only enhance what I already have in place. Motion detectors....man you ready for anything...[!] Watch out bears and raccoons...

Phoodieman

6. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

We ran an led strip around the interior of our pup and plugged into one of the 1/4" jacks. I got everything I needed to complete the wiring at Radio Shack. Here are a few pics of the dry run (before I got it all cleaned up):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Beemser

Beemser New Member

This is great, thanks! What kind of LED strip did you use? I'm looking at some pretty cheap, basic waterproof strip lighting. your observations about keeping the LEDs out of direct line of sight to reduce glare sound like good advice. I'll think more on how I could do that in my PUP. I have a coleman with the one piece plastic roof, so I'm trying to think about how to do this without mucking with that much (if at all).

8. Beemser

Beemser New Member

Thanks for your good intentions but none of your pics seem to be visible. At least to me!

9. thethird152

Aww bummer - sorry about that. Give me a minute and I'll try a different method.

10. thethird152

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. roybraddy

The third 152 - I use IMGUR now for posting my photos... I will save a JPG photo to file in a folder I call ROYs Camping... SOmetimes I use the WIN10 snip to capture the photo...

Then I will go to IMGUR where I have my albums and will select 'add images'...

Then i scroll down to my directory in the Roys Camping folder and find the photo I just copied in there... Then I select the photo under IMGUR BROWSE in the ADD IMAGES form. This will then add the photo to my images and will assign the necessary HTTPS address and assign a new photo image name etc.

When I view IMAGES I can select the photo and it will show up in the left picture frame. on the right side I will go down several format settings and for this net it will DIRECT LINK. I select this HTTPS format name and assigned imgur name and address. I SAVE this HTTP ADDRESS.

Then I can go to this JAYCO FORUM and click on the image icom in the header and a form will show up where I copy the HTTPS address I selected in the form blank. This will put the photo now into my post starting with IMG with brackets then the HTTPS address followed by /img with brackets. This will be the photo I selected to post on here...

This is all free to use and I have some 100 or so images I post on the forums in here. Once you get used to it is click clcik...

This is a photo from this thread I used WIN10 snip to capture the photo from the post up the page..
    [​IMG]
    Took about four clicks

Hope this is some help for you for using IMGUR for posting free HTTPS address public photos...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  12. thethird152

Thanks Roy!

13. roybraddy

I used PHOTOSHOP prior to this until they started charging for things. They blocked me out of alot of my photos doing that but I think I recovered most of them from being stored here somewhere else.

For me it is really so handy to have all my photos of interest already assigned the good HPPTS assigned public addresses. I always like to back up the conversation with a photo. I even place some of the photos from GOOGLE SEARCH I like to pass around into my folder here and get the same good public HTTPS address in the IMGUR folder.

I guess since everything is about money IMGUR probably will eventually go the same route PHOTOSHOP did...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

14. Revn

Revn New Member

The previous owner of my pup installed led lighting to one of the on/off switches. I don’t know how it’s all fully done. But I can take some pics if you’d like and might help?

15. Revn

Revn New Member

OH here’s a pic with some of it on. It’s mostly near the floor and under cabinet.

Attached Files:

16. Dylan C

Dylan C New Member

Phoodieman, can you tell us what parts you actually used? I'm thinking of doing an LED strip in my pup but am a bit concerned about the variable voltage (14ish volts while charging battery down to 11.8 or so when discharging). Any thoughts on this?

17. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I make and sell products for vintage pop up repair and up grades. I was pretty fortunate that another entrepreneur friend of mine gave me fifty of these controllers and LED strips. Since I was doing a restore on the Yuma I decided to use the strips and forego any type of 12 volt light fixtures in the ceiling. I have looked for a brand name on the controller and strips, but I couldn't find any. I'm going to post a few pics if that helps. To hook the system up, I matched the connector on the 12 volt line at the top of the canvas at the roof and then ran a line to the controllers that are mounted in the center of the camper at the roof. The controllers would only support one full LED strip so I used two controllers. The remote works on both controllers at the same time. (The strips are about 20 feet long). They trail away toward each end then loop around back to the controller on each end. So I wound up with two rectangular footprints front and back. (See the pics about 12 posts above). I have found similar controllers and LED strips google searching and they are not that expensive.

20180529_165943.jpg 20180529_170009.jpg 20180529_170039.jpg

Phoodieman

18. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

I used an LED tape light similar to this for my backyard patio, with the right power adapter for 12v it'd probably work great in a popup. The tape lights are nicer than rope light as they will lay flat against a surface and can be mounted easier with adhesives or clips.

For me, I just replaced the original bulbs in the original fixtures with LED bulbs and haven't done this mod yet myself.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...ight-White-Tape-Light-Roll-DE5189WH/205552326
    [​IMG]

19. Dylan C

Dylan C New Member

Phoodieman, thanks for sharing those details. I was hoping to wire the LEDs straight to the 12V system and eliminate the need for a controller, but using a controller may be the only way to get a consistent voltage.

Dback2k4, how happy are you with your bulbs? I am having some difficulty finding 921- style bulbs that get consistently good reviews. For the price, I hate to gamble that I won't like the color, they'll die prematurely, or they just won't be bright enough. I'm probably over- thinking it. I've only got two main lights, two portable bunk fan/ light units, and the outside light.

20. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I think you have to have some kind of controller to operate the type of strip I have. May be in theory you could combine the RBG leads for one leg and then use the black lead for the other, but you won't get the functionality of what the strips were designed for without the controller. I found that one of the yellow shades was my favorite for lighting. More subdued.

I change over to LED's in the Apache. (It is my boondock camper). As far as the replacement LED's for the incandescents I didn't like the first set I bought. Super glare in those but they held up to road rattle. The second set I got from camping world. More soft and what I wanted, but one failed after a couple of trips. They did replace it though as I had a one year (I think) warranty. Don't go with the cheap overseas stuff. They won't last.

Phoodieman