Adding 7 way connector and charge wire to TV

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by timothias, Apr 3, 2013.

1. timothias

timothias New Member

Currently my TV is wired with only a 4flat harness, and I would like to be able to charge the trailer battery while towing. I am planning on putting in this adapter http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/37185.html and running a 10awg line direct from the battery, with an isolator and 15A fuse inline.

Will this be a heavy enough wire? What kind of current am I really expecting to be sending to that battery? Will I over draw the alternator on my '09 Acadia?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I use a 10 gauge wire, but I think that a 20 amp circuit breaker would be better than a fuse.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

I'd be concerned on having the 12v live all the time, think if the trailer is hitched and you left the fridge on 12volt...you might come out and not be able to start your TV.

I have factory 7 pin wiring, my 12 volt is switched, key off equals no trailer power. You could have your power feed on a relay if you wanted to have the direct heavy gauge wire and have the relay triggered by a key on feed.

5. timothias

timothias New Member

Thats essentially what the isolator is for, it detects a voltage from a key switched aux line, then switches the battery line.

I like the idea of using a breaker instead of a fuse as well.

6. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Sorry...I misunderstood what the isolator was going to do. Sounds like that should work.

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Many factory charge lines will use a simple relay controlled by the ignition. Easy to do.