Adding a battery power system to a 69' Starcraft Stardust 8

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Timothy Adams, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Timothy Adams

Timothy Adams Member

the pup I'm looking at soon doesn't have a battery, I assume it just plugs in to shore power via a 110V receptacle on the outside like most small pups.

I want to get a portable battery box and inverter to plug into the pup. I won't mount it to the tongue though. I'll just put it outside or under the pup while camping if there's enough clearance. My question is if anyone has constructed a battery box with an inverter inside it that's safe to leave outside. The inverter must stay dry, but also may need some ventilation. I will probably add a solar charge controller and a panel later. All the battery boxes I've seen are too small to house a battery and inverter. Maybe I should be looking at tool boxes that offer more room inside? Thanks.

2. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Unless you really need to run something at 110v, why bother with an inverter? Just go all 12v. I would look into mounting the battery on the tongue as it will greatly help your back (batteries are heavy). If you really need an inverter, you could make some type of temporary mount to the underside of a bunk near the battery. Then just slide the inverter off when packing up.

3. Timothy Adams

Timothy Adams Member

I would like to keep the standard outlets in the pup for things like a TV and phone charger. The portable battery idea, although heavy, can be used for other things besides the pup, if you catch my drift :)

jorgewolfe likes this.
  4. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

Are the lights 12volt or 110. If they are 12 volt you have an inverter and just need to put a battery into the system.

5. sdfry

sdfry New Member

I took my inverter out. We only use 110v when we have shore power.

Your phones will charge off a 12v battery (and may be more efficient than converting 110v AC to 12v DC to 5v DC).

Your lights can be switch to 12v (LED's)

And how much time would a TV run off a 12v battery?

Just my thoughts.

Stan