Adding A/C to my 04 Fleetwood Redwood pup

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by eprovenzano, Apr 21, 2015.

1. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

FINAL UPDATE!!!!

I needed to find a way to connect and disconnect the 12 volt power and furnace connections. I purchased a 12" 4 pair flat trailer wire extender. I cut the extender and wired each side to the wires I previously cut. I also made a base for the thermostat. I plugged everything in, configured the thermostat, set the temp and she came to life. Boy is quiet... I set the heat pump for heat and at first I was thinking if this is as warm as it gets... I'll be using the furnace... It wan't putting out a lot of heat then the compressor kicked in... The heat pup was throwing out some nice warm air. In short order it was really warm in the pup.

I've not had a chance to try the AC side, but if it works as well as the heat pump, I'll be warm in the cold temps, and cool in the hot temps. This was a LOT more work and effort because of the style unit I got, but in the end I'll enjoy it as it will make camping even more enjoyable.

2. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I finally had an opportunity to use the A/C side of the heat pump... and boy does it make a pleasant difference. I've found this unit to be pretty quiet, little to no vibration in the pup, it cycles off and on easily without fail. The digital thermostat is really nice, and convenient. Set the desired temp and forget it.... let the system do its thing.

Was the effort worth it... YES IT WAS!!! Now that I've been through the process of installing one, I realize it's not that difficult, and yes I would do it again. If just makes the evenings that much more enjoyable, being able to sleep without sweating.

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I had the dealer install the 13,500 unit on my new OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer roof.

As little as we use our Air Conditioner I really wish I had gone with the lower BTU models which are much less weight and can be operated easier from off-grid power sources. A low profile more air dynamic unit for us would be much better to have...

Living under an air conditioner in a small floorplan area gives me a head cold haha...

[​IMG]
    Roys Image

My electric raise motor really makes the cables pop an groan sometimes when going up and now I am wanting to add even more weight with some very much needed solar panels...

In the back of my mind I am sort of hoping this 13,500 unit just might go bad someday soon haha...

The dealership added these ceiling braces on both sides of the Air Conditioner install. My wiring however is all behind the valance curtains and comes down behind a widow curtain and gets plugged into a 20AMP Receptacle in my wrap around seating area. All of this is out of sight... I can use this 20A Plug using an extension cord and plug into the campgroound 20AMP service receptacle if I need too. I can also plug this into my 2KW generator but it is too small a unit to run it...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken

4. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

We've been camping a few times and the temps have been rather cool, so DW opted to open the windows and let the comfortable breeze through... until the past weekend. Temps close to 90 with high humidity. I zipped up the windows, closed the curtains, and turned on the heat pump... ahhhh so nice. Our grand daughter (now 19 months old) came to visit for the day... she was having a ball... I'll bet we visited the playground at least 5 times... mid day she needed a nap..(me too). My DW took her in the pup and she quickly passed out from exhaustion. DW said the A/C unit is really quiet, and the little hum from the motor helps to drown out the sounds of the activity of other campers. "I'm glad you took the time to put an A/C in the pup" [:O] Yes that's right... I got a compliment from DW... [LOL] That night it was still pretty warm sticky... Not really an issue other then feeling clammy in the mornings... But we decided to keep the windows closed and let the A/C run. Sleeping in the pup with A/C was really nice... I agree with DW the slight noise of the motor does drown out the noise of the other campers. Looking forward to getting out more often.