adding a charge controller to a converter

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by basspaul, Aug 29, 2011.

1. basspaul

basspaul Member

I have a Centurion converter in my 2001 Jayco. From what I understand, this converter does not have a charge controller for the battery and will likely boil off the battery if left plugged in too long.

Does anyone know if a charger controller can be added between the converter and the battery? The converter works perfectly and I don't want to change it out just to add a charger controller...

If anyone has schamatics for a DIY solution, I would be interested. I can build electronics, just not design them

thanks

2. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

Great Idea. I'd like to do something like that as well.
    :)

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

How about a battery disconnect switch to isolate the battery from the converter (or just disconnect the negative or pull the fuse that supplies power to the battery) and use a stand alone 3 stage charger.

I don't have a less than ideal charger as part of my converter so maybe I'm missing something. I just hook up a charger to the battery when needed.

4. Richard

That's what I do too Bupkis. I'd like to have it wired in so I didn't have to fool with it. I guess I could buy a better charger that stopped charging when the battery is full, and plug it into an outlet in the camper. Still, if I could build something to add to the converter, that would be one less thing.

5. bruceac1

bruceac1 Member

I just figured that I would wire in a battery charge, with a trickle charger built in and an on off switch, to the 120v input. That way I could charge the battery whenever I am hooked up to shore power. My system is not set up to charge a battery, so an external charger is the only option. I figure with a switch in the pos lead between the charger and the battery, it shouldn't discharge the battery during the time I am using it to run the lights. A simple three stage charger would suffice.

6. basspaul

basspaul Member

One of my plans is to have an automated battery disconnect and connect my smart charger (using a system of relays). The problem is that my charger can take over a day to charge my class 31 battery. I would like to take advantage of the higher current available from the converter...

7. rjniles

rjniles Member

I think the way to go is buy a new converter with a 3 stage charger. Makes a neat package and it will work without issues or trying to remember to throw switches or remove fuses. And I am the biggest cheapskate in the world.

8. Richard

Bob, I won't dispute your right to the gold medal in cheapskate, but I'm on the podium with a silver or bronze myself. You are probably right, because I'll forget on those switches and cost myself some real money. Perhaps I better just keep the battery charging and battery use as two different operations, using the stuff I've got now.

9. marcham

marcham New Member

10. Richard

That echo charger looks interesting. I've not heard of that product before. Now to hunt down the wiring schematic for my Converter, and a price on the echo charger. Thanks for the tip.

11. marcham

marcham New Member

Looked into it a bit more ... you'd be better off wiring in a parallax 3 stage charger in place of your current converter. Much simpler to wire in and cost would be about the same.

12. Richard

Yeah, I looked a tthe price of the echo charger and came to a similar conclusion. For me, I'm going to just stick with the regular battery charger I've already got for charging the battery, and the converter I've already got for running the 12-volt in the camper.

13. basspaul

basspaul Member

that echo charger is what I am looking for, except for the price [:O] Similar to what I found looking at solar charge contollers. My DW says the repairs to the non-mobile habitation we live in when we aren't camping has the higher priority in the budget [:D] I'll be researching a DIY solution and post if I find anything...

14. basspaul

basspaul Member