adding a mattress topper

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Snowman, May 28, 2019.

1. Snowman

Snowman Member

Hey Folks,
    I need some help here for my Coleman Santa Fe. We added a 3" memory foam topper to the main bunk but I'll be darned if I can close the camper down with that installed. We have to pull the topper off the mattress and place it over the dropped table then slide the bunk ends into the popup and then batten down the hatches. Even with it off, I often have to play with the screws on the hatch clips to get the top to close completely.
    Am I missing something here? Folks write a lot on here of using 3" (or larger) toppers on the bunk ends but mine doesn't seem to want to work out. Is there a trick to folding the canvas walls inside the camper to make this work? I've read the manual cover to cover and nothing is offered on how to fold them or store them inside during takedown. I would love to leave the topper in place between campouts and travelling so hopefully someone can help me out with this.
    Thanks!

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

With no topper, you shouldn't have to play with the screws on the hatch clips. Sounds like you may have something else going on. Is your canvas bunching up all in one spot? Is it just one end that doesn't want to seat?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Snowman

Snowman Member

How should the canvas be stored? I always have to adjust the screws so that I can connect the latch, then pull it tight, open the latch tighten the screw then repeat.
    That seemed like extra work to me, and your response kind of confirms that. I generally slide the bunk end inside the camper the pull the canvas as far in as I can from the door. But it's often pretty tight, requiring me to weight down the corner of the roof or play with screws.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Also make sure your level, if not it might torque the roof a bit so one end is harder to close.

5. Snowman

Snowman Member

Yeah, I level the camper everytime so I don't think that's contributing to the issue. I'll make sure to double check, though.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Stabilizers up also before lowering the roof on the Coleman. Opposite of what you do to put it up. Same scenario, could tweek the roof.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I think every camper is different. On my old Jayco I didn't even have room for a blanket on my bed much less a topper. My current camper I'm left with I say about an inch on the bunk ends and about 3 inches in the center. I also don't have to adjust the screws on the locks but do have to readjust the canvas multiple times as it never fails there is always something that slips as you crank it down. I fold my Corner like I do a package but find because my canvas is permanent attached on the back I can't really push the canvas as far in as I would like away from the corners.

CarlaCB and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I kept a short broom handle to push the canvas toward the center of the pup. We kept a two inch topper on the big bed. I had to push to top down about an inch to compress the topper, but with the topper off, it just went down and clamped.

9. Snowman

Snowman Member

I wonder if I'm not prepping the canvas correctly. Do any coleman owners detach the canvas in any way other than the bungee cords beneath the bunkout? It doesn't appear to me that there is more prep beyond that, but I've never been able to just lower and clamp so I wonder what's different for me?

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have to do a similar dance on mine. I do have a topper and I am pretty much at the max to close, and even then that is with some effort. I have no room for bedding so it is just the mattress, topper and mattress cover.

Often with a topper you have to let the roof settle to compress the topper a little. I usually get the roof dropped and then continue working on packing other stuff and then latch.

I also have to be careful how the canvas goes in. On mine the canvas is attached to the bunk with Velcro. It all comes off and gets pulled into the center of the camper once the bunks are in. I loosely fold it to make sure it isn't bunched up too much in one spot. The corners seem to be my biggest issue. I always push my mattresses in a little so they actually meet in the middle which gives me extra clearance in the corners/front/back since my roof has a curvature inside.

I also have an aluminum camco folding step which has been a huge help. Wide step for getting into the camper, adjustable height, and it works great to stand on and push down on the corners if I am in a hurry due to weather. Folds flat for storage too.

CarlaCB and Snowman like this.
  11. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

The people we bought our pup from had a broom just for pushing and smoothing the canvas out as the roof is being lowered. Makes it easy to do from the outside of the camper. Really liked that idea, so have copied it.