Adding a safe to PUP

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by BarbaraFaith, Jul 25, 2012.

1. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Purchased a compact safe from Amazon tonight. After our last camping trip, where we had some seedy/supcisious neighbors, I got to thinking of having a secure place to put our keys, cash, etc. The safe that I chose has a security cable which I plan to attach inside a cabinet. I never know where to put cash/keys, etc when we go out on the boat, or to the shower, etc.

2. gec66

gec66 Active Member

I seriously doubt you will be able to secure the safe in way that a determined thief wouldn't do significant damage removing it, but that is JMHO. Better off not leaving small valuables that would fit in Tue safe in your pup.

3. mtn_bikers

mtn_bikers Northern NJ

I would think if you are going to install a safe in the PU, the best attachment method/place would be to bolt it to the floor under either a dinette seat or sofa depending on your layout. My [2C]

4. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

I would think drilling thru the floor and attaching that security cableto the frame or strong metal component would be your best bet. I have a plastic bin where I store all that stuff and i put it out of sight or lock it in my TV. Most security measures are to discourage a thief from going through the hassle to steal something not totally prevent it.

5. lawniz

lawniz New Member

just lock your stuff in the glove compartment. or console.

6. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

A good pair of cutters can get through most "security" cables in seconds. When they throw out laptop cables at the office. I bring them home and cut them off with a pair of diagonal cutters in two shots.

You can't stop a determined thief, you can only make him work harder or decide that (unfortunately for your neighbor) the camper next door is a better target.

Remember that if you bolt to the floor, use bolts with no heads (e.g. carriage bolts) and put the nuts inside.

Use large diameter washers inside and outside to ensure that the bolts have a large bearing surface. Ask for "fender washers". Maybe use a rubber washer under the steel washer on the outside for sealing out water. A little caulk wouldn't hurt either. The washer on the outside would need to clear the square on the carriage bolt.

Since the heads and a set of washers are outside, stainless steel would be good. Also, stainless is hard for a thief to cut.

On the inside, use nylon stop nuts (the ones with the plastic insert). That will ensure that even if someone gets a vise grip on the head of the carriage bolt, the nut won't loosen up.

If you can, set up your safe / lock box so that the side that someone would try to pry is up against a wall, bulkhead or something so that they can't get a crowbar in there.

I used to install security systems. We used to say that installing a security system after you've been broken into is smart; installing one BEFORE you've been broken into is genius.

Steve

7. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

I've just not worried about it when camping. I suppose if I was worried I would store valuables in the TV and be done with it. But then I have a small box so space is very limited. Good luck!

8. You-And-I

You-And-I Ozarks Ɯberland Basecamp

We have the Aries Security Box mounted in our Jeep. Its a Heavy duty Gun/Valuables safe. The thing I really like about this unit, you can purchase additional mounting brackets. So you can mount the safe in your vehicle, transfer it over to the camper or home.

Aries Security Box: LINK

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It seems to me that a safe is like a neon sign that says, "This is where we keep the stuff you want." Just hide it in inconspicuous places in the TV and keep the TV locked.

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

My Coleman Bayside Elite has a secret locked compartment built in. Cannot be seen when the PU is set up

11. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

It's not a secret if you tell everyone about it. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Noty a secret as anyone with a Bayside knows ... [LOL] [:D]

13. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Installing a secured box inside a PUP can be a better security measure than locking small valuables in a TV, as people who are set up to open a TV already 1) know how and 2) know where people ALWAYS hide valuables. One can pop the lock on a door, pop the glove compartment open in short order and be gone with the contents.

Having a secured box hidden/not visible in an area that is not associated with storing small valuables (unlike a counter top, drawer, under the mattress, or hanging shelf) is a much better deterrent. I would recommend bolting it down, though, with round head bolts on the exposed side and nylon lock nuts being on the inside of the safe. Cables are way too easy to defeat.

It is not expected and less likely to be prepared for as encounters are more often situations of convenience. Of course, a well-equipped and determined individual can defeat anything.

Stored in an atypical location with unexpected measures of security can make for a less attractive target. And that's all you can do.

14. Sterman

Sterman Member

15. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Was a secret to me for two months. I have never used it and probably never will. How many Bayside owners are going around ripping off other Bayside owners?

16. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

We never even considered being "ripped off" while camping.... of course, we lock the doors on the tv and the camper..... but never really considered a fellow camper trying to take our stuff....

17. Unstable_Tripod

I don't think the problem is fellow campers. It is thieves who roam the CGs looking for stuff to rip off. This problem seems to get worse the closer the CG is to an urban area. I've never had a problem but I also like to camp well away from any urban areas.

18. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Never thought about getting a safe. We just lock the valuables in the TV and go hiking or sight seeing. I knew an older lady once who kept her rings and other jewelry in a soda can that was made just for that. I thought it was a neat idea because a thief would never think of looking in a soda can.

Campit

19. Unstable_Tripod

Better yet, don't bring jewelry camping. I wear my $15 Casio watch with a rubber strap and no rings when I camp. DW never brings earrings, necklaces, bracelets, etc. Minimize the valuables and hide the stuff you must bring in the TV.

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member