Adding ac and mini fridge

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Justin502, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Justin502

Justin502 New Member

I know it's probably been brought up alot but I'm new here and still learning this sight but I got a 94 dutchmen duck pop up camper and I'm going to be installing a mini fridge and small window ac unit. I was wanting to know what all wiring and materials I would need to do thsee things in my camper. If anyone can help or give me the links that be great. Thanks

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would just plug each into a heavy duty power strip and run a heavy outdoor extension cord out the cable hatch to the power post....I did similar with my Apache for 8 years.

3. AmandaLandrum

AmandaLandrum New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is how we added an air unit to our pup. On drawer slides. We just run heavy duty power cord from pole to it. Works great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I Installed a small dorm reefer in a pup once, I removed the ice cooler and added fans in the rear of the cabinet to remove the heat, worked good. I also installed a 5000 A by cutting a place in the rear and making a frame using the bumper as a base and mounted it that way, it worked good.

5. nPo78

nPo78 New Member

The ac needs to have a dedicated 20 amp circuit (12-2 w/ground romex). The fridge you can tie that into the other plugs etc you already have on the pup.

6. Justin502

Justin502 New Member

Ya that's what I did today. I took out the old ice box and added another outlet for the fridge. Still got to do the ac unit

7. Justin502

Justin502 New Member

My camper has the ac circuit. Do I just need to run romex from the outlet to where I'm going put the ac unit

8. Justin502

Justin502 New Member

Here's the outlet

Attached Files:

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Open it and look. Might find capped wires for a 20A outlet. You could use the box for a connection to 20A wire to another 20A outlet nearer the air conditioner.

10. Justin502

Justin502 New Member

Ok will do that tomorrow thanks

11. nPo78

nPo78 New Member

I'm willing to bet you have capped wires in there. On my pup, there was a jbox labeled the same way. I hooked up a cord to the jbox, came out the camper on the side, and it plugs into a twist lock receptacle I installed in the ceiling.

12. Justin502

Justin502 New Member

What size wire I need run from the jbox to the other side of camper for ac unit jbox I'm going to install

13. nPo78

nPo78 New Member

14. nPo78

nPo78 New Member

well I wish I could figure out how to post pics on this site I would show how I did mine...

15. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Have your photos on a hosting site like shutterfly then you share a link with a code at the beginning and end of the quote.
    Here's the instructions.
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=99076.0
    (I pinned this link on my camping board on pinterest. I've been a portal member for years and this is not an easy thing to remember or do.)

OR

You can click on the + sign below the comment box to add a picture that is on your computer as an attachment.
    If you do the attachment, nonmembers won't see the pics.

16. Justin502

Justin502 New Member

I use my phone and I just hit the (attachments and other options) under the text box and hit choose files and go to my documents and it pulls up my photos on my phone but sometimes the photos file to big to let it post

17. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

Yep, I had to make smaller copies on my computer, before I could attach them.

18. Justin502

Justin502 New Member

How did yall install the small fans for the fridge

19. Misc99

Misc99 New Member

We have not done that yet.
    Asking an unrelated different question in a thread will not yield as many responses as you will need.
    I suggest doing a search from the menu bar above. If you still don't find what you are looking for, post a new question with a title that best describes your question.