adding ac to a 1980 Jayco

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by madmatador78, Jun 14, 2015.

1. madmatador78

madmatador78 New Member

Hello all,

I have been contemplating how to add ac to a 1980 jayco j-flight 6. The camper is in awesome condition for its age and I would really like to keep it. I would like to avoid any hacking into the sides of camper if possible. Plus space is at a premium in this unit, So window unit is out. There seems to be mixed reviews on weather a portable ac with a vent would do the job. Not to mention the extra cost.

I know this may be a bit much, but could I make the roof be able to support a roof top unit? I have already upgraded the service to 30A, so power would not be a problem. My concern would be the roof and the cable system being able to support the extra weight. If they could be beefed up so to speak, then I would like to pursue this route. Can this be done? Or is this just a pipe dream?

2. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

can u post a pic of ur in and outside roof

3. George Rose

George Rose Member

We originally had a smaller Jayco. I bought a small window unit Air conditioner. I took an aluminum folding walker and added PVC pipe to the bottom of the legs. This allowed me to use the adjustments on the legs for uneven ground. I screwed a couple pieces of wood across the handles of the walker and set the a/c unit on that. Inside I cut an opening in the window vinyl the same size as the vent on the a/c unit. A little bit of foam weather stripping around the edge of the a/c unit allowed a snug fit right up next to the side of the pup. Yes this is redneck as hell but it worked for 3 years until we bought a bigger pup with rooftop air!

4. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

I have a 90's jayco I added a rooftop ac to the existing vent hole. However my coleman had no vent plus its in good gondition... so I had an extra ac and some other stuff laying around the house I constructed a crappy trial version of this.

If it works in the test trail, ill get some insulated ducting and fabricate a sheet metal cover for the ac, along with a plate that mounts to the camper for the ducting. I only really care at sleeping time about temp and humidity.

[​IMG]

5. George Rose

George Rose Member

That looks as bad as my walker !

6. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

At least I have AC.

7. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

HAHA yes its pretty odd looking. My brother enjoyed making fun me the enitre time, he also ejoyed the ac. He won twice.. [:(!]