Adding an exterior shelf?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by jp.pfister, Mar 29, 2018.

1. jp.pfister

jp.pfister New Member

How do you feel about this wire shelf mod? I found this online and was thinking about adding to my pup.
    The vertical brackets would have to be mounted permanetly but the rest would easily go on and off.

exterior camper shelf.jpg

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I put one on the back of my camper next to the shower compartment. It's very handy! The three components store flat. The only criticism is that the slotted brackets have rusted a little where the white paint chipped off around the screw heads and the slots I use. I probably should dab some paint on it. I thought about putting on the front but it would be awkward with the position of the light and the tilt-out kitchen canvas.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I like the idea of having the table but I dont like the mounting brackets. I would rather us the same track the grill uses.

4. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

5. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

I did this last summer. Instead of mounting the vertical brackets, you can get 1 horizontal piece that the vertical ones hang from. (looks better this way) Check out horizontal hanger just below the rockwood logo. 20180329_090539.jpg Screenshot_20180329-090134.png

Katskamper and CamperChrissy like this.
  6. skeeter

skeeter New Member

I have been considering the exact same thing recently. My outdoor table is heavy and bulky and I am currently trying to cut down on space consuming items (especially heavy ones). I already have an indoor shelf mod so I was figuring adding another wire shelf wont be much of an issue. My approach is similar to the picture and I plan on using butyl tape where I screw it in to the exterior. I was trying to find a plastic covering for the shelf and permanently attach that to the wire.

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I think a stand alone table is more useful, it can be moved around as wanted /needed

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also use a freestanding table as I'm afraid to screw any holes on the side of my camper and two I'm not sure how much weight the shelf could handle since there really isn't much support in the walls of the camper.

9. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

I actually did this. I had to search for a while to find the same rail, but finally did. After a major fiasco mounting the new rail, I made a bracket to fit it and mounted it to a tabletop with a single hinged leg that braces it against the wall of the camper. It sits right next to my grill and hold my (beer/lantern/tongs/grill pan/book/whatever) in a very convenient place. Plus, it folds flat and stores in the front trunk. Someone recently asked for pictures of the table and I promised to take some when I have it out next.

Katskamper and jnc like this.
  10. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

If it's made the same as my 2005, the walls in your Fleetwood are substantial and the existing rail is mounted through the wall into a piece of 3/4" plywood. I detailed all that in a post a year or two ago about mounting the additional rail. I think you'd be OK if you want to add something, just try to get behind the wall (from underneath works) and add some backup support.

Edit: Here ya go; this is my original post:
    http://www.popupportal.com/threads/moving-the-grill-rail-down-im-now-an-official-dear-abby.92943/
    As an addendum, don't let my despair fool you. I'd do it again because I have the knowledge of what's ahead of me. If I do swap campers, I'll add the same new rail to the NTU one as well, because it's just SO useful.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  11. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I like the wire shelf idea a lot. I fashioned an outdoor table a couple seasons ago, that uses the outdoor rail adjacent to where my stove hangs. But being a solid surface, it gets water/spills/morning dew on the surface, and I need to be diligent about wiping it down to protect the wood. A good coat of polyurethane would help, but the wire would not be a concern anymore. Have me thinking now. . . .

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We use the exterior stove (closed) as an outdoor coffee station. We don't cook on it, so should really fashion something a bit lighter weight to put there.

If we had a nice, long shelf there, it would fill up with junk within ten minutes. [:(]

Tracy D. likes this.
  13. BBurch220

BBurch220 Member

I did it to my starcraft exactly like the pintrist pic you posted. I trip to home depot for slotted shelf track, brackets and a wire shelf. I love it. Place my coffee pot and toaster on it for quick morning breakfast.

Matt Benoit and jp.pfister like this.
  14. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

if you want a light weight waterproof, but not melt proof, shelf topper to cover the wires, use gatorboard.
    huh? you know, plastic corrugated sign material.
    use twist or zip ties to attach to shelf. no weight.

Rusty2192 likes this.
  15. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

+1

Coroplast is another name for it. We actually use some of it on top of the typical wire shelves in a linen closet at home. Works great.

16. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member