Adding Brakes?

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Beckymeep, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Beckymeep

Beckymeep New Member

Hi,

I was looking in to the tow capacity of my vehicle and wanted to know if anyone had ever added brakes on to their trailer? I'm looking at a 1975 Coleman Patriot, and would like brakes on it, if that's possible?

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

What are you towing with? I just did a quick search (not familiar with the patriot) and it looks to be a fairly lightweight trailer. Brakes can be added I believe you have to change out the wheel hubs as well as wiring them up and adding a brake controller to your vehicle. I'm sure others will chime in that have a lot more experience with it than I do (the tow rating for my GMC is 3500# and my little coleman Columbia weighs in around 1000# so I never found the need for brakes).

3. Beckymeep

Beckymeep New Member

Hi, I have a Suzuki Sidekick JLX and it can tow up to 1000lbs, the Patriot (if it is a 75, like owner said) is 810lbs, if its a 76 its 990lbs. But with a propane tank, battery as well as our stuff for camping, the weight would be up to the max! I also preferred a less beaten up Columbia I've seen but as you said they are at my max from the off. I read if the trailer has brakes my Sidekick can tow up to 1500lbs.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Add the Brakes, you will need them since you are towing at or above capacity

5. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Is it a 2 or 4 door? Not sure I would to be over my tow rating with a 2 door. And what's the hitch rating on the sidekick.